PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your pecking order outside Patriots?

First I just want to say if I’ve tried rooting for certain outcomes that affect the Patriots playoff chances. Outside of direct divisional competition (Buffalo, Miami) this stuff is rarely going to make an impact at the end of the season and isn’t worth trying to project in September/October, so besides the obvious stuff I just root against teams I hate most.

Which team(s) are you soft rooting for as a backup if the Pats don’t contend?

Guessing I’m not very unique here but I enjoy watching the Lions with Campbell’s body language, their risk appetite, and I’ve always thought Jared Goff is a solid overall guy and leader even if isn’t elite (he’s actually pretty darn good though as long as he has a balanced rushing attack.) Combine they with their 70 years of suckage and I think a lot of fans are in the same boat.

I’m in the Bay Area so I’ve always soft rooted for the Niners as well. They were the it team when I was getting into football with Montana and Rice. Going to these games is a real treat, as the fans are overwhelmingly kind and passionate, contrasted to the old Oakland experience of murderous and passionate. Niners are a very well run organization.

I wouldn’t mind pumping up the Browns (given they play the Steelers and Ravens) but with Watson I find myself unable to even root for them against hated rivals. Bengals are fine.

Hated teams list

Top tier: Steelers, Broncos, Ravens, Jets, Colts

Second tier: Dolphins, Bills, Chiefs, Cowboys, Giants
I was close in the late 80's with my sports nut cousin who lived in the Bay Area, so that's the default. Otherwise, I'm silently rooting for my draft beankies. I've never played Fantasy Foosball because it's the devil.

Niners. I moved to the SF Bay Area while in high school, married a local girl, FIL was 49er season ticket holder, had to fit in with the in-laws and there was no way I could root for the Raiders.

Niners. I moved to the SF Bay Area while in high school, married a local girl, FIL was 49er season ticket holder, had to fit in with the in-laws and there was no way I could root for the Raiders.
What part of the Bay AreA

No one.

The Lions, the Bengals, the Panthers, and Jaguars all have a family resemblance but they do not receive my support.

Dawg you like 5 minutes away from me
Milpitas
I left Fremont 40 years ago and 30 years ago left California. No looking back though I do try to get back several times a year to see my mom.

Jets!...Just ****in' with ya. Lions would be cool for the fans there. I have a good friend that lives in MI now.

None ... if not the Patriots I just like to watch
a good competitive game and I mostly do not care who wins ...
I don't hate ... to strong a word ... I do enjoy the Jets losing ...

Last edited:
In the NFC I'd pull for the Lions, they are a fun team. AFC, maybe the Bengals or Jags, Texans even though they have no shot. Anyone but the Chiefs

I pull for the Titans when they aren’t playing the Pats. I was here when they moved here from HOU so i kinda feel that connection.
and if you’ve never experienced a college game in Knoxville…you’re missing out.

NFC: Bucks, then Lions cause HC is hilarious
AFC: Chargers, mainly cause feel bad for Herbert w/ terrible HC.

Don't hate any team, aside for maybe Chiefs cause they always seem to find a way to win, which just reminds me of how the other 31 felt about the Pats for so long. Ugh

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back