Backups
Aiken - 28 years, signed through 2009
Washington - 30 years, signed through 2011

And depending how you look at it these guys may be backups at WR:
Ventone - 26 years, - free agent after the season
Slater - 24 years, signed through 2011

- age is projected as of the start of the 2009 season

Grade A

One of the best units in the league, top deep threat (Moss), top slot receiver (Welker) and good overall depth although the is a huge drop-off after the top two. That will happen when the top players are pro-bowl caliber. Aiken & Washington are solid special teamers and I have a little bit of confidence that Aiken may be able to contribute as a 4th WR.

Potential Free agents

Strong FA class in 2009, led by Roy Williams (Detroit) and Houshmandzadeh. I don’t expect the Patriots to be strong players in the free agent market, there is the possibility they add a veteran JAG. There is some chance that Gaffney returns but I expect them to try and get a little younger by drafting a WR is rounds 4-6. The draft pick would compete for the 3rd WR spot.

Draft impact

4 out the top 5 Wrs are signed going into 2009. If Aiken can some promise as a #4 WR then they may draft someone to compete with Aiken for the #3 / #4 slot. If Aiken is strictly special teams then they will likely draft someone pretty high, round 3 or 4 to assume the #3 role.

College Players to watch

No one in the class I would call ‘special’ but juniors Harvin (Florida) and Heyward-Bey (Maryland) are pretty impressive. Given the Patriots shaky track records with I would prefer they re-sign Gaffney or some other serviceable vet.

College Wrs are so hard to scout, the spread offense makes everyone look like Jerry Rice. I would think they would want someone to play the outside opposite Moss, but the Pats also value versatility. Someone with position flexibility (inside WR, slot or outside) plus special teams ability (returner or in coverage). Basically someone like David Givens but a little faster. 5’11 - 6’2, 190 - 210., 4.4 - 4.5.

A couple of things to point out:

And depending how you look at it these guys may be backups at WR:
Ventone - 26 years, - free agent after the season
Slater - 24 years, signed through 2011

Bubba is an exclusive rights free agent next year; if the Pats want him back, he isn't going anywhere.

College Wrs are so hard to scout, the spread offense makes everyone look like Jerry Rice. I would think they would want someone to play the outside opposite Moss, but the Pats also value versatility. Someone with position flexibility (inside WR, slot or outside) plus special teams ability (returner or in coverage). Basically someone like David Givens but a little faster. 5’11 - 6’2, 190 - 210., 4.4 - 4.5.

Interestingly enough, Ventrone very nearly fits the bill: 5'10", 200#, 4.42 40.

A couple of things to point out:

Bubba is an exclusive rights free agent next year; if the Pats want him back, he isn't going anywhere.

Interestingly enough, Ventrone very nearly fits the bill: 5'10", 200#, 4.42 40.

Is Ventrone really a WR? I still don't know. He is pretty good on special teams so expect him back next year.

We need to focus our Free Agent money on a RT (Runyan, Gross?) or a quality Linebacker (Dansby)

We need to focus our Free Agent money on a RT (Runyan, Gross?) or a quality Linebacker (Dansby)

After watching him eliminate/destroy USC's D Line for most of the game a couple of weeks ago, the guy that I want for us at ROT is Unger or Oregon. yes I wish he was a bit nastier and came of the line with a flatter back, but at the end of the day, this guy is almost perfect for us at ROT.

One WR that might interest the Pats from this draft is Derrick Williams of Penn State, 5'11" and about 200 lbs. Excellent return man and appears to have good speed and serious quick twitch. He has decent hands and shows some willingness to block.
I've heard rumors of character issues, but maybe he is being lumped in with a couple of other bad apples at Penn State.

I would still put Asomugha at the very top of that list. Nobody shuts down one side of the field better than he does, and by the addition of that one player, we could change up a lot of what we do on defense....i.e. blitz Harrison more, roll the coverage to Hobbs's side, use a safety more to cover tight ends instead of linebackers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back