PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR and RB Options (Who are fits for the Patriots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tricktak

Banned
Reaction score
WRs

1. Julio Jones, Alabama: Even though the Patriots probably won't be in position to draft Green or Jones, I'm still ranking them on this list. I have Jones ranked ahead of Green because I think the Patriots value him higher than Green. There's the Alabama connection because Belichick is good friends with Saban and Jones is the more talented and easy to coach player. He is also a vertical threat and can also go over the middle of the field as well.

2. AJ Green, Georgia: They have to have Green ranked this high just based on his ridiculous talent alone.

3. Torrey Smith, Maryland: A smart receiver who fits the Patriots mold for a receiver

4. Leonard Hankerson, Miami: Hankerson is the sleeper at Wide receiver in this draft. He makes acrobatic catches and is the vertical threat the Patriots may be looking for.

5. Randall Cobb, Kentucky: Not exactly the vertical threat or size that Patriot fans might be looking for in a wide receiver, But Cobbs' playmaking ability and versatility is something the Patriots will absolutely love. I think out of these first five, Cobb is the best fit just because of where they can get him. This is a very deep receiver class and I think Cobb could possibly fall into the third round and he would be a very good pick for the pats at that point.

6. Tandon Doss, Indiana: He's not an overly flashy receiver like the first five but Doss does all the right things and can contribute as very solid #2 option. The problem with Doss though is that he may be too similar to Taylor Price.

7. Jerrel Jernigan, Troy: Like Cobb, not the biggest receiver but has serious playmaking ability.

8. Edmund Gates, Abilene Christian: Extremely fast receiver who like Torrey Smith looks to be a very good fit for this Patriots offense.

9. Greg Little, North Carolina: Character concerns, but that didn't stop them from taking Tate, who was also from North Carolina as well. Greg Little is not a great vertical threat but he's a very big receiver (6'5" 220 lbs) and can be like a Brandon Marshall type who uses his size and strength to overpower smaller cornerbacks and safeties.

10. Chis Matthews, Kentucky: Didn't know a lot about this guy when the Patriots worked him out but then I watched some tape of him I came away impressed. At 6'4", Matthews is very agile on his feet for a bigger receiver.

RBs

1. Mark Ingram, Alabama: Another Alabama connection player for the Patriots but Ingram may very well have more upside than Jullio Jones. Ingram is everythin the Patriots look for in a running back. He has the speed, power and winning attitude that they love.

2. Ryan Williams, Virginia Tech: As far as potential and talent go, next to Ingram, Ryan Williams is the best running back in this class. Williams is similar to Ingram but is probably the superior pass catcher and for that reason, the Patriots may value Williams more than Ingram.

3. Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State: Hunter is a max effort guy, similar to BenJarvus Green-Ellis but is also different from Green-Ellis in many ways. He has the breakaway speed that Green-Ellis doesn't have and Hunter is also a very good receiver from the backfield. He is also solid in pass protection.

4. Mikel LeShoure, Illinois: Some People may feel this is way too low for LeShoure. I actually really like LeShoure more than Hunter and feel he has the potential to be better than Williams but this list is based on fits for the Patriots and what they look for in a running back. I think the Patriots are gonna be really scared off by how much LeShoure dances around defenders, They'll be having nightmares of Maroney.

5. Jordan Todman, UConn: He was a very productive player at UConn, which is always a plus for the Patriots. Todman also has the breakaway speed that the Patriots lack in their backfield and can be the homerun hitter to Green-Ellis and Woodhead.

6. Shane Vereen, California: Vereen is very typical for what the Patriots look for in their backs with his greatest attribute being catching the ball. Some people would probably have Vereen ranked ahead of Todman but I think that he's too similar to what Woodhead already does.

7. Derrick Locke, Kentucky: Another pass catching back, who the Patriots have been looking at heavily. Locke is a playmaking back in the mold of a Darren Sproles.

8. DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma: Murray is the type of back I could see the Patriots draft late if he's still there becuse he would be a great value pick.

9. Daniel Thomas, Kansas State: He's not the best pass catcher but he has the power as a Running back that the patriots will drool over.

10. Delone Carter, Syracuse: Carter would also be a solid pick in the later rounds of this draft.

Last edited:
Out of the players listed I can narrow down the WR's pretty easily....
Jones and Hankerson

With RB's it's harder, I like quite a few of them that I could see us taking....
Hunter, Todman, Vereen, and Carter. To a lesser extent Ingram and Murray, although between the two I like Murray.

Last edited:
Anybody else up for adding Denarius Moore to the WR column?

Randall Cobb and Hankerson are my favorite WRs in this draft. I really like Hankerson, I hope we get this kid.

Randall Cobb and Hankerson are my favorite WRs in this draft. I really like Hankerson, I hope we get this kid.

Apparently he has issues with consistency, too many dropped balls. Aside from being a Swiss Army knife in terms of what he can do, Cobb seems to have some real speed to him, there doesnt seem to be any reason he can't be a deep threat.

Apparently he has issues with consistency, too many dropped balls. Aside from being a Swiss Army knife in terms of what he can do, Cobb seems to have some real speed to him, there doesnt seem to be any reason he can't be a deep threat.

I've heard Hankerson has a bit of the dropsies yes, but no worse than Julio Jones who's going to go in the top 15 most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back