Status
Not open for further replies.

eric5280

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
By Vince Verhei
Football Outsiders

1. Tom Brady, NE
Over the course of the season, the best quarterback in football has been Aaron Rodgers. However, Rodgers at his best still can't touch Brady when the Patriots quarterback is on a roll. Brady's 271-DYAR day against Philadelphia is the second-best score for any passer this season, behind Brady's 294 DYAR against San Diego (423 yards, three touchdowns) in Week 2. Brady is also in third place (248 DYAR, Week 10, 329 yards and three touchdowns against the Jets) and fourth (232 DYAR, Week 1, 517 yards and four touchdowns against Miami). Nobody else has gone over 200 DYAR more than twice this year. Brady's numbers against the Eagles: 24-of-34, 361 yards, three touchdowns, zero interceptions and one sack.

Wow who knew Brady's performances were that great, especially compared to Aaron Rodgers who's having an all time great season.

Last edited:
Re: Wow this surprised me. Brady's DVAR

By Vince Verhei
Football Outsiders

Wow who knew Brady's performances were that great, especially compared to Aaron Rodgers who's having an all time great season.

Impressive. I think you meant DYAR in the title though.

I hate these threads, and that website.

The whole thing confuses the hell out of me

I hate these threads, and that website.

The whole thing confuses the hell out of me

DYAR is actually one of the more intuitive stats. The number is how many yards (adjusted) Tom Brady gets above a statistically average replacement QB.

Could we also have the link to the article?

Last edited:
By Vince Verhei
Football Outsiders

I'm not familiar with this stat. It seems that every organization is coming out with their own rating system. Personally, I trust my own eyes to tell if someone he's played well.

so this statistical qbr system proves that rodgers, brady and brees are the top 3? as oppose to the current nfl qbr system which states the same thing:rolleyes:

link???

Last edited:
What's DYAR? Is it the same thing ESPN came up with this year?

DYAR adjusts for the quality of the pass defense faced, which is a great way of measuring QB play.

What's DYAR? Is it the same thing ESPN came up with this year?

DYAR is Football Outsiders "Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement" statistic. Definitely not that silly TQBR thing ESPN came up with.

For all the talk about Rodgers season, no one is talking about what a joke their schedule has been.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

The Packers have had a very easy schedule. Scroll to the bottom of this list sorted by Opposing QB passer rating - they have faced the Vikings twice (31st), Chargers (30th), Panthers (29th), Broncos (28th) & Bucs (27th).

That means, of the 6 WORST passing defenses in the league, the Packers have played 5 of them, for a total of 6 games.

That's a tremendously easy schedule for a QB.

On the flip side, Brady has faced 5 of the BEST 12 defenses in the league for a total of 6 games. Rodgers has only had two of such games.

Lions & Giants are going to be the Packers toughest tests this year. And until Suh was tossed from that game, the Packers weren't exactly rolling over them. I expect the Giants to do a decent job against Rodgers this weekend.

If Brady is healthy, he will roll through the rest of the schedule and will wind up with stats that compare to Rodgers, and with the proper context, demand him being taken as an MVP candidate.

Last edited:
I'm not a big stats guy, but football outsiders has opened my eyes a bunch over the past few years. They've done a great job of taking an incredibly complicated game and finding the best way to represent it statistically. DYAR is not only a great stat for professional football, but I know of a few highschool teams that are using it to gauge their effectiveness in the spread passing game. That speaks to it's value, as highschool tends to be a first adopter yet one of the hardest levels to gain traction in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots