PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow...Taylor Mays just ran 4.24 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wow.. Taylor Mays just ran 4.24 40

great.....that means he will consume a draft pick ahead of the pats

lol, itsnt that tied for fastest 40 yd dash at the combine since 2000?

and tied w/ chris johnson no less?

I know teams have an issue with his ability to cover but just his physical ability keeps him in Rd 1.

He will be a monster at the LOS and if you watch him play he goes for the KO shot every time

Should change his name to Willie Mays Hayes.

I know teams have an issue with his ability to cover but just his physical ability keeps him in Rd 1.

He will be a monster at the LOS and if you watch him play he goes for the KO shot every time

and be abused in play-action

and be abused in play-action

And is fast enough to make up for that mistake. He's a physical beast, would love to see him on the Pats, exactly what we need, we could use him at safety and linebacker ! Of course, even if he ran a 3.24, had 8 ints last year, never got fooled in play action, won the Heisman and the Nobel prize, Belichick would pass him up, and we'd all nod in agreement, he doesn't fit our system.

And is fast enough to make up for that mistake. He's a physical beast, would love to see him on the Pats, exactly what we need, we could use him at safety and linebacker ! Of course, even if he ran a 3.24, had 8 ints last year, never got fooled in play action, won the Heisman and the Nobel prize, Belichick would pass him up, and we'd all nod in agreement, he doesn't fit our system.

The reason he doesnt 'fit our system' is that he has loads of athletic ability but not much football ability.
Tebucky Jones was big, ran fast, etc, but he couldnt play under control.
I'm not even sure why these 40 times get so much attention. Running straight for 40 yards without contact is rarely part of football.
Mays is going to be one of those guys who makes the highlight reel for as many plays he gets beaten on as he makes.

Last edited by a moderator:

The reason he doesnt 'fit our system' is that he has loads of athletic ability but not much football ability.
Tebucky Jones was big, ran fast, etc, but he couldnt play under control.
I'm not even sure why these 40 times get so much attention. Running straight for 40 yards without contact is rarely part of football.
Mays is going to be one of those guys who makes the highlight reel for as many plays he gets beaten on as he makes.

I think you failed to see scott99's point. The moment anyone here says "he doesn't fit our system" about any player, all the sheep agree. And then we watch as that "doesn't fit our system" player finds success elsewhere while the "does fit our system" players sometimes do here.

official time is 4.43

I think you failed to see scott99's point. The moment anyone here says "he doesn't fit our system" about any player, all the sheep agree. And then we watch as that "doesn't fit our system" player finds success elsewhere while the "does fit our system" players sometimes do here.

Yes, because that player fits that system. Doesn't mean player would've found success here. Do you think Dwight Freeney fits our system? A 230-lb Defensive End who can be run at? Do you think he would be a 15-sack player in the Belichick defense?

Likewise, if TBC played in Indy, he'd almost certainly be getting double-digit sacks every season.

Yes, because that player fits that system. Doesn't mean player would've found success here. Do you think Dwight Freeney fits our system? A 230-lb Defensive End who can be run at? Do you think he would be a 15-sack player in the Belichick defense?

Likewise, if TBC played in Indy, he'd almost certainly be getting double-digit sacks every season.

So from the sounds of it, you think our defense is geared toward not accumulating many sacks. So why do we keep complaining about the lack of a pass rush by our defense? Everything's going according to planned.

Look, I don't know if Freeney would have been as successful, or for that matter, if Clay Matthews would have been, but I think many of us would be willing to take that chance, especially knowing what we know now.

So from the sounds of it, you think our defense is geared toward not accumulating many sacks. So why do we keep complaining about the lack of a pass rush by our defense? Everything's going according to planned.

Look, I don't know if Freeney would have been as successful, or for that matter, if Clay Matthews would have been, but I think many of us would be willing to take that chance, especially knowing what we know now.

Our defense is geared to getting pressure on the quarterback from multiple points. But not at the expense of the run game.

Freeney would have had to convert to OLB, up until last year where we played some 4-3. Our 2 gap scheme means you have to have very specific attributes among your athletes!

4.43 and he can't cover anybody, I'm all set!

Not sure why we're concentrating so hard on the safety position here, as it's probably the deepest position on our defense. We should be looking at OLB, DE, ILB, and possibly CB (depending on what the offseason has in store for Bodden) on that side of the ball.

Mays is a guy you have to watch game tape of to see how he plays. He makes alot of bad reads, but in college his athleticism made up for it alot. I don't think that will work out as well in the NFL. Also, he like to make big hits, but also missed big at times too. Wasn't a great tackler. I really don't want to see him in a pats uniform.

Should change his name to Willie Mays Hayes.

Post of the thread...now someone please tell Al Davis how fast this guy is.

4.43 is still very fast for a safety. He'll go in the top 22 for sure after this run, that pushes down another very good prospect to the Pats.

USC D sucked......

this team was not a typical USC team.

Mays did not stand out for USC.....

what make u think he can do it in NFL?

Football speed and speed w/o pads are two different categories:bricks::bricks:

I don't care for Mays that much simply because it will take a high pick to get him. I'd rather we draft other position in rounds 1-2. I am intrigued by Myron Rolle at 5-6. He ran 4.69. Rodney Harrison ran 4.82 in 1994. Rolle is a physical specimen and is definitely has the G2 the Patriots require. Whether he is NFL material is the big question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back