PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wow Jerry Porter said what we were thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2294214

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter is not known to shy away from a microphone, and that might make him a little lighter in the wallet after his comments after Sunday's game against the Indianapolis Colts.

“When they did that, they really want Peyton Manning and these guys to win the Super Bowl. They are just going to straight take it for them. I felt that they were like 'We don't even care if you know we're cheating. We're cheating for them.' â€
— Joey Porter, in The New York Times, after Troy Polamalu's interception was reversed.
When Troy Polamalu's fourth-quarter interception was overturned by referee Pete Morelli, Porter felt the Steelers were facing opponents on two fronts: the Colts and the refs.

"I know they wanted Indy to win this game," Porter told The New York Times. "The whole world loves Peyton Manning, but come on man, don't take the game away from us.

"I felt they were cheating us. When the interception happened, everybody in the world knew that was an interception. Don't cheat us that bad. When they did that, they really want Peyton Manning and these guys to win the Super Bowl. They are just going to straight take it for them. I felt that they were like 'We don't even care if you know we're cheating. We're cheating for them.' "

Porter
Porter said he was relieved in more ways than one when Colts kicker Mike Vanderjagt missed a 46-yard field goal try with 21 seconds left that would have tied the score.

"The way the refs were going, I wouldn't have trusted them in overtime," Porter told the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. "If we hadn't won, they would have cheated us in overtime."

Good for Porter. Someone ought to say what we really all know to be a fact.

sieglo said:
Good for Porter. Someone ought to say what we really all know to be a fact.
The number of people who truly believe the NFL tried to manipulate the Colts into the SB is far, far smaller than you might think.

IMO, if Polamalu had stayed down and been touched by a Colt, it would have been an interreception. Since he did not fumble until he got up, making two football moves was the wrong standard to apply regarding possession. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had a Colt recovered the fumble.

Uh...it WAS an interception...the NFL just stated the WRONG call was made...I don't understand your point...you think it was still an incomplete pass?

jczxohn1 said:
IMO, if Polamalu had stayed down and been touched by a Colt, it would have been an interreception. Since he did not fumble until he got up, making two football moves was the wrong standard to apply regarding possession. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had a Colt recovered the fumble.

So, you're saying two wrongs make a right, or two rights make a wrong? Aw, they called it the way they did because they didn't like his long hair. :nono:

Joker said:
Uh...it WAS an interception...the NFL just stated the WRONG call was made...I don't understand your point...you think it was still an incomplete pass?
Hadn't seen that thread.
The reason given by replay for it being an interception was that he kneed the ball out of his hand before his right knee was up, therefore he hadn't taken two steps before loosing the ball,ergo, no possession. Apparently, rolling over on the ground 2 or3 times isn't a football move. But, if he had been touched down, it would have been a reception. My point was if you catch the ball, take one step before falling, roll over, and cleanly maintain possession before trying to get up, it should be a reception. I implied that if a Colt had recovered the ball, rather than Polamalu, The reception would not have been overturned. It would have been reception, fumble, Colts ball.

ESPN....NFL front page....refereee made wrong call...end of story

My bad ...I thought you were still clinging to that idiotic excuse offered up by that nitwit referee...he completely and mystifyingly screwed the interpretation of the rule up...which is the $66 thousand dollar question...I don't think it was just a harmless "mistake"....remember, this is Bill Polian land out there we're dealing with...any and all scumbag dirty tricks and back door deals are possible with this criminal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back