PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you rather have a rookie WR or Eddie Royal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I brought this idea up a while ago. Eddie Royal is just a couple of seasons removed from a fantastic rookie year where he caught 91 passes for over 900 yards and 5 TDs. He is also an excellent kick and punt returner, having returned two kicks for Touchdowns in the past 2 seasons.

Eddie Royal: Career Stats

Considering his overall package, can Royal be a decent #2 for the Pats? Does he have the speed and route running to play on the outside? Would a guy with a couple of years experience in the league be a better bet than a rookie WR taken in round 2? Just something to think about.

McD just dealt for Quinn, perhaps he is open to more moves to change his offense. Apparently Royal was in his doghouse last year, but for what reason I haven't heard. Time for a change of scenery?

I would prefer Breaston over Royal if he were available, because he has demonstrated deep speed, but after the Cards traded away Boldin, it became clear to me that they are counting on Breaston as a starter so they likely won't deal him, even for a 2nd round pick.

I'd rather take a chance on a rookie since there's depth at the wr position this draft. Royal showed flashes of being good but wasn't really a consistent contributor. I know Bryant and Tate will go in the first most likely but Jordan Shipley a Wes welker type or arelious benn from Illinois have good upsides.

I thought the world of him 2 seasons ago but last year he simply dissapeared. Wonder why?

Didn't Royal's stats go down as soon as he was put in McDaniels' system? That makes me think he wouldn't be a good fit here.

I feel like Royal, at 5'10, is a slot receiver in the Patriots offense, therefore not what we need. Edelman can play that postion until/if Welker comes back. What the Patriots need is another outside receiver who can be a threat downfield and/or make touch catches over the middle in the 15 yard area.

As far as Royal as a player these are my concerns: 1. Struggled in Josh McDaniels offense which is obviously similar to what the Patriots run . 2. Lack of explosion- even with a 91 yard catch in his rookie year, he still averaged just 10.8 yards per reception and that number dropped to 9.3! in his second year.

he's Receiving stats went down from 91 rec and over 900 yerds as a rookie to 37 rec and all most 400 yerds. but he was still one of the best kick and punt returners in the NFL

he is wort giveing a 2th round pick for. you get a great return man and at worst a good #3 WR.

Draft and develop please.

I wouldn't mind Meachem, or Henderson from the Saints.

Brandon Tate was compared to Royal in his pre-draft scouting reports. Hold tight, and draft a tall receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back