PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

with Denver now apparently hot on Tebow, will they be after our #22?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palm Beach Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Sometime before pick #30 (Minnesota) seems to be the area to move to for anyone after Tim Tebow. Denver and Buffalo figure to pass on him at #11 and #9. Denver, of course, has the inside track to a deal with us (Josh, and not a division opponent).

So, assuming we don't want to move up to #11, what if:

Denver gives us #43 and #80 (660 points) for our #22 (780 points) and Denver adds a second rounder next year to make up the difference.

Do you do it?

5 picks in rounds 2 & 3 sound appealing to me, because I'm not sold on the talent gap between #22 and #43. Maybe we could ask for a little more. Teams sold on picking a QB historically pay a bit of a premium for that opportunity.

Last edited:
I'd make that trade. The Pats have multiple areas of need and extra picks will let them draft potential starters in the defensive front 7, o-line and skill positions as well as strengthen the developmental part of their roster.

Since NE holds #44, I'm not sold on the idea of Denver "giving" it to NE as part of a trade back into the first round.

Sometime before pick #30 (Minnesota) seems to be the area to move to for anyone after Tim Tebow. Denver and Buffalo figure to pass on him at #11 and #9. Denver, of course, has the inside track to a deal with us (Josh, and not a division opponent).

So, assuming we don't want to move up to #11, what if:

Denver gives us #44 and #80 (630 points) for our #22 (780 points) and Denver adds a second rounder next year to make up the difference.

Do you do it?

5 picks in rounds 2 & 3 sound appealing to me, because I'm not sold on the talent gap between #22 and #42. Maybe we could ask for a little more. Teams sold on picking a QB historically pay a bit of a premium for that opportunity.

Don't believe anything you read in the week leading up to the draft!

With regard to the trade scenario, I would think we can get a lot more for 22 than that. Last year we moved from 23 to 41 and picked up 75 and 85. Philosophically I'm opposed to trading into next year. We need the picks this year. We can easily have 8 rookies make our 53 next year and we can't count on most of those being 6th-7th rounders.

First off - If you buy that Denver is hot for Tebow, then I have a bridge to sell you in New Mexico.. It has a great ocean front view..

Secondly - At this time of year, nothing is coming out of the war rooms by falsehoods.. To get people to jump at things and make mistakes.. Anything you read or hear about a team during this week should be taken with a grain of salt.

That being said, how did Denver get the Pats #44 pick????

I'd make that trade too, but I'd actually rather deal with Buffalo. I don't think Tebow will ever be a good QB in the NFL and if a team in our division wants to move back into the first to grab him then by all means make the deal with them. Also, they have higher picks.

Side note, at 22 we are in a position to move down to to say 25 and essentially hand over Jared Odrick to the Ravens for hopefully a princely sum of their 1st and a 3rd. From that point we could make the same deal with either Buffalo or Denver that has been discussed. At that point we've got 4 second round picks, 2 thirds, and a 4th. Not a bad set up at all.

sorry for the typo, now fixed in my original post-- Denver has #43

so the trade would be #43 & #80 & a second rounder next year for #22

the "Denver hot for Tebow" comes from their tryout today, as reported on PFT, and my low opinion of Kyle Orton or Brady Quinn as a long-term solution (not that I am any more sold on Tebow, but some people are, such as Dungy and Chuckie)

It's probably a Denver smokescreen, I know, but Tebow does tend to impress those that interview him in person.

Last edited:
sorry for the typo, now fixed in my original post-- Denver has #43

so the trade would be #43 & #80 & a second rounder next year for #22

the "Denver hot for Tebow" comes from their tryout today, as reported on PFT, and my low opinion of Kyle Orton or Brady Quinn as a long-term solution (not that I am any more sold on Tebow, but some people are, such as Dungy and Chuckie)

It's probably a Denver smokescreen, I know, but Tebow does tend to impress those that interview him in person.

Josh has too many other needs to be screwing around with Tebow. Even if Orton and Quinn don't do the trick, Tebow's proponents don't even think he will either for a couple of seasons. Josh will be out in Denver if they don't contend for the division and make the playoffs in 2010 and 2011.

Which is why it would be foolhardy for anyone who really needs him as anything more than a hyped up means to excite the fanbase to draft him before the middle of the 2nd. And I think that has always been the nexus for the Tebow to NE blather. That we somehow have the luxury of developing him really slowly over the next 5 years...LOL That and Bill's relationship with Meyer.

The JAGS fit the bill because they have Garrard and they'd primarily use Tebow to fill their stadium with anticipation. Cleveland has a stop gap in place in Delhomme and Holmgren has that QB makers ego. Washington has an egotistical HC and a veteran QB with 2-3 seasons left but they don't have the ammo to persue him unless they can trade back from #4. The Vikings probably think they have at least a one year stop gap although if they don't get some OL help he may not last another season. Buffalo is foolish enough to do things like sign TO just to create buzz so they could always make a play for him.

First off - If you buy that Denver is hot for Tebow, then I have a bridge to sell you in New Mexico.. It has a great ocean front view..

Secondly - At this time of year, nothing is coming out of the war rooms by falsehoods.. To get people to jump at things and make mistakes.. Anything you read or hear about a team during this week should be taken with a grain of salt.

That being said, how did Denver get the Pats #44 pick????

Good point. Remember Denver was supposedly "in love" with Sanchez a year ago at this time?

It would be very interesting to see if BB trades with Denver or KC this year on draft day deals for picks.

Since they all know each other so well, i can not imagine it would be easy to establish market value on any player would trading for.

First off - If you buy that Denver is hot for Tebow, then I have a bridge to sell you in New Mexico...

Got any pics of that bridge?

:D

Nice Call Palm Beach

Where there's smoke there's fire. It's obvious now that Denver indeed were sold on Tebow.

That much is true. But what will the Pats be doing in round 2. Do they see any OLB in this draft as being worthy of a second round selection? Will they take a WR or a TE today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes