PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will this affect Cardona ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess we'll see, can't really complain because duty comes first.

Thought he was still doing Navy work.
He is, part time, but I think the old/new way to do it, set down by the head of the Air Force after one of his guys was draft-eligible this year, is a full-time 2-year commitment before any time spent in any pro sports league.

That sucks if they apply it to all academies and retroactive to cover Joe.

Stupid, given the PR it gives. Joe announcing the draft pick was an awesome promo for the Navy!

He should be grandfathered but who the hell knows?

In fact, from that link, it's definitely just going forward :

“Therefore, upon graduation, officers will serve as military officers for their minimum commitment of two years. The department has a long history of officer athletes who served their nation before going to the pros including Roger Staubach, Chad Hennings and David Robinson,” White continued. “The change takes effect with this graduating class.”

How many more posts until this thread gets political? I'll put the over/under at 6 posts.

In fact, from that link, it's definitely just going forward :

“Therefore, upon graduation, officers will serve as military officers for their minimum commitment of two years. The department has a long history of officer athletes who served their nation before going to the pros including Roger Staubach, Chad Hennings and David Robinson,” White continued. “The change takes effect with this graduating class.”

I concur. Looks like it's a "From this class forward" type of regulation. Mattis may be many things, but he isn't stupid and he avoids complicating situations wherever and whenever possible. I believeour LS will be able to continue on as he has been doing.

How many more posts until this thread gets political? I'll put the over/under at 6 posts.
Got your back.

Andrew Jackson would have solved the problem because he understood the problem of men serving in the military and also wanting to participate in recreational activities like hunting and dueling.

I'll take the under.

Tunescribe tried on reply two, I tried to help a couple of replies later but the rest of you let us down. What has this board become?

Got your back.

Andrew Jackson would have solved the problem because he understood the problem of men serving in the military and also wanting to participate in recreational activities like hunting and dueling.
I learned today that Andrew Jackson was pissed about the Civil War even though he died 16 years before it started. THAT is impressive.

I learned today that Andrew Jackson was pissed about the Civil War even though he died 16 years before it started. THAT is impressive.
Time traveler.

Guess we'll see, can't really complain because duty comes first.

Nah. They are a small percentage of the military academies and are recruited to play football, for instance. If a war like WW2 broke out, then fine.

They are great ambassadors by playing pro sports, while being ready to be recalled to serve. Having Cardona in his dress whites at the White House was a cool picture and worth far more in recruiting than if he had not been there.

Well I guess Army, Navy, Air Force, and the rest just got a little less competitive in their respective college conferences with this ruling. It will stop most of the higher caliber recruits from committing once they know there is no chance of (the) pro ball (dream) immediately after graduation. Extremely doubtful in this day and age a team takes a 2 yr flier on any player, especially one that'll be out of regular competition during the time away.

Well I guess Army, Navy, Air Force, and the rest just got a little less competitive in their respective college conferences with this ruling. It will stop most of the higher caliber recruits from committing once they know there is no chance of (the) pro ball (dream) immediately after graduation. Extremely doubtful in this day and age a team takes a 2 yr flier on any player, especially one that'll be out of regular competition during the time away.

Personally, I'm fine with that. I really don't want men and women being recruited by the service academies to play sports. I want sports to be a sideline, something that is done to foster competition, NOT a reason to be there. It should be athletics and sports to build strength, agility and teamwork, NOT to win trophies.

The military academies exist to turn young men and women into the officers who will provide the "Leadership by Example" that will teach, motivate and inspire those who serve under them and who will provide the tactical acumen and abilities if and when ordered into harm's way by our National Command Authority.

Football, while arguably the greatest game ever created, must never be the reason why any young man chooses to attend one of the military academies, nor must it be the reason why the academies recruit any young man. The same goes for any other sport. The academies must set as their recruiting goal the best and brightest that our nation has to offer. Nothing less should be acceptable.

I look forward every year to the Army/Navy game. As a former Navy Aircrewman, my heart bleeds blue & gold. But in the end, it's still just a game, and as I have said, it must never be the reason why an academy exists, nor why it recruits young men. Football must always remain in secondary importance to the military academies. To elevate it higher does a disservice not just to those young men and women who attend them, but to our nation as well.

Still and all.......

navybeatarmy.jpg

Last edited:
i'm with Gwedd. the taxpayers of the USA drop ~$250K on the 4yr education of officer at the finest military academies in the world. in exchange for that the cadets agree and commit to serve as an officer in the armed forces for a period of time. it doesn't sit right that they avoid their end of the bargain and make millions as a pro athlete instead. sends the wrong message.

i could live with the entire release of the athlete from their service obligation provided they return the full value of their tuition and room/board to the government.

Last edited:
Also agree with Gwedd, while it plays nice and has benefited us, always thought this move might be coming

Joe Cardona continues on "active duty" at Newport Naval Base, OTOH the US Military has always had a long line of personnel promoting their "brand" and he does that well. What better way to promote the Military Service then with Cardona...

With the 131st pick of the 2017 Joe Cardona announces, complete with a backdrop of Marines and Military Dependents.. great recruiting effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes