PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Patriots let Asante walk after 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don't have Donte Stallworths contract in front of me, but it was pointed out that the contract is basically a one year deal - with a large team option. Mike Florio of profootballtalk.com reported that the franchise tag would be a cheaper option for the Patriots after the one year
Cheaper over the life of the contract but the Franchsise Tag would be more expensive next year.

Ok - you be the homer and I'll be the one that respects probowl opponents. You're talking about a corner that hasn seen little to no action in nearly 2 years lining up against one of the best recievers in the NFL.

What does time missed have anything to do with Gay's coverage ability?

Please read my post again.

The agent talks about it like it is a one year deal because only two posibilities exist:

1) Donte gets a lucrative 5 year "extension" with normal bonus money
2) Donte is a free agent.

Again, please think a little. Is $9.6mm really a lot for the signing bonus on a good FA WR? You do realize that that is not a ridiculous amount of money in today's NFL, right?

Are you really trying to go against the general consensus of everybody who has followed this contract? I don't see the point in continuing this discussion. It's a one year deal.

Cheaper over the life of the contract but the Franchsise Tag would be more expensive next year.

Which is why if they keep him, it won't be under the current terms of the deal. If he stays it'll be restructured.

Which is why if they keep him, it won't be under the current terms of the deal. If he stays it'll be restructured.
You're arguing that he could be Franchised if the option isn't picked up and he becomes a UFA. Even if that's possible (I have no idea), if he has a good enough season to Franchise for about $8M next year he is certainly good enough to pick up the long term option at about $5M a year. Your argument makes no sense.

Are you really trying to go against the general consensus of everybody who has followed this contract? I don't see the point in continuing this discussion. It's a one year deal.

I usually try to avoid berating people on a message board, but you are really, really dumb wiith regard to this issue. I am not going against anything. If Stallworth plays very well and earns a #1 WR type contract, how much money would he get as a FA? Probably more than $30mm over 5 years with $10mm signing bonus right? If so - and I know that you will deny it ignorance + defensivenes - why is NE so unlikely to keep Stallworth around with the current contract?

People call it a "one year deal" because it is like one. Not because it is one. He still has to money whether it is in NE or anywhere else.

Last edited:
You're arguing that he could be Franchised if the option isn't picked up and he becomes a UFA. Even if that's possible (I have no idea), if he has a good enough season to Franchise for about $8M next year he is certainly good enough to pick up the long term option at about $5M a year. Your argument makes no sense.

It is not possible to franchise someone you cut. This guy is a joker.

Get a clue pal - you don't cut someone if you don't pickup an option.

NE has the right to keep Stallworth around. If they choose not to, they cannot franchise him. Period.

Last edited:
I usually try to avoid berating people on a message board, but you are really, really dumb wiith regard to this issue. I am not going against anything. If Stallworth plays very well and earns a #1 WR type contract, how much money would he get as a FA? Probably more than $30mm over 5 years with $10mm signing bonus right? If so - and I know that you will deny it ignorance + defensivenes - why is NE so unlikely to keep Stallworth around with the current contract?

People call it a "one year deal" because it is like one. Not because it is one. He still has to money whether it is in NE or anywhere else.

Its really annoying having to argue with someone who won't be proved wrong until next year. Stallworth either walks or his contract is restructured or his options are declined and he is then franchised, the least likely of the 3.

NE has the right to keep Stallworth around. If they choose not to, they cannot franchise him. Period.

YES they can. If you decline a team option, that player becomes an unrestricted free agent, subjecting him to the franchise tag.

Its really annoying having to argue with someone who won't be proved wrong until next year. Stallworth either walks or his contract is restructured or his options are declined and he is then franchised, the least likely of the 3.

1) He cannot be franchised next year. Period. Please stop bringing this up.

2) I already said that he might be a FA. That is not anything that you introduced.

3) His contract will almost certainly be restructured if he stays around. His bonuses next year are full chargable to the 2008 cap. But here is the key part: The restructure won't necessarily be done to decrease his compensation.

1) He cannot be franchised next year. Period. Please stop bringing this up.

2) I already said that he might be a FA. That is not anything that you introduced.

3) His contract will almost certainly be restructured if he stays around. His bonuses next year are full chargable to the 2008 cap. But here is the key part: The restructure won't necessarily be done to decrease his compensation.

You were correct he cannot be tagged per profootballtalk, my apoligies for my misinformation...."A $6 million option bonus is due shortly before the start of the 2008 league year, but after the deadline for designating franchise players. This requires the team to either pick up the option, or to allow Stallworth to hit the market unfettered by the franchise tag."

I still don't see the Patriots re-upping that contract as it stands - considering the potential of re-signing Moss and their usual reluctancy to give big contracts to WR's.

Last edited:
You were correct he cannot be tagged per profootballtalk, my apoligies for my misinformation...."A $6 million option bonus is due shortly before the start of the 2008 league year, but after the deadline for designating franchise players. This requires the team to either pick up the option, or to allow Stallworth to hit the market unfettered by the franchise tag."

I still don't see the Patriots re-upping that contract as it stands - considering the potential of re-signing Moss and their usual reluctantcy to give big contracts to WR's.
Oftentimes such a situation can lead to restructuring... something much more cap friendly...

It is great news that he has finally reported and in camp - yet it is still unclear whether or not they Patriots have conceded their right to tag him again in 2008. Will you be disappointed if the Patriots have chosen this route?

No, Asante is an asset. If he isn't signed, he's franchised again. Why let him walk and get nothing if you can tag him and get compensation?

I still don't see the Patriots re-upping that contract as it stands - considering the potential of re-signing Moss and their usual reluctancy to give big contracts to WR's.

Thank you for saying that. Most people would just let the thread die and never discuss it again.

I still think that, if Donte gets over his health issues, the money won't be the big issue. Deion Branch was given more than Stallworth will receive prior to the cap jumping up as much as it has. The restructuring that I see happening is just for cap purposes.

Donte's health issues are definitely a major hurdle, though.

BTW, I do agree with you that Wayne is a premier WR, I just have a higher opinion of Gay than most. Many downgrade him because of his injuries while others think that he needs to prove that his rookie year wasn't a fluke. I think that he is actually a quality #2 CB.

Thank you for saying that. Most people would just let the thread die and never discuss it again.

I still think that, if Donte gets over his health issues, the money won't be the big issue. Deion Branch was given more than Stallworth will receive prior to the cap jumping up as much as it has. The restructuring that I see happening is just for cap purposes.

Donte's health issues are definitely a major hurdle, though.

BTW, I do agree with you that Wayne is a premier WR, I just have a higher opinion of Gay than most. Many downgrade him because of his injuries while others think that he needs to prove that his rookie year wasn't a fluke. I think that he is actually a quality #2 CB.

Believe me, I hope your 100% correct, but it seems everything I've read about the contract is mostly negative. I would love to have Stallworth around for a long time - When Aaron Brooks and the Saints came in to Gillette, I think it was in 2005, Stallworth torched the Pats that game, and knowing he was to be r moved, I can't recall exactly why the Saints wanted to trade him (the drug issues I assume), it got me thinking he would look damn good in blue and red.

Last edited:
Sure when you think about it that way my point doesn't hold much weight does it. Unfortunately thats not what I was getting at - the media in and around Boston is pretty overbearing, and the types of questions they would pose to player all year long knowing Asante is free to walk could get pretty annoying.
"So Ellis, since Asante had 2 picks today, making that 6 on the year - it really figures that he is well on his way to getting that new contract? Do you think the Patriots are going to give that to him?"

This is borderline moronic.

You are really trying to tell me that when the Patriots win a game, AS has 2 ints, that reporters will go seek out EH III and ask him what he thinks that means about ASs contract? And that lame question will distract the football team from football???????? Are you in kindergarten or just otherwise sheltered from the real world?

I have never seen that type of question asked.
If there is a reported out there fixated on asking a-hole questions he will ask them whether or Asante Samuel exists.
There is no purpose in asking such a quesiton, and less in a player taking it seriously.

Teams do nto win or lose based on perceived distractions.
Every team has numerous players in the final year of their contract. I remember zero cases of a team losing games because of questions asked about those players.

This is their job.It kind of offends me that people would suggest players don't do their job because there is a question a reporter wants to ask, and definitely offends me that someone would think their boss, Bill Belichick would allow them to not do their job because of something so moronic.

So according to Adam Schefter Asante didn't sign the contract or tender and they're still negotiating about whether the Pats will franchise him again next year.

So according to Adam Schefter Asante didn't sign the contract or tender and they're still negotiating about whether the Pats will franchise him again next year.
Shefter never said negotiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back