PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Edelman-lateral-to-Talib happen again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasmlab

Starting QB, won 20 SBs, number is retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
When the lateral pass from Edelman happened, I thought it was a dodo of a play:

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3381685/edelmanwoops.gif

But looking at it again his hand was hit while throwing, it wasn't just a terrible pass.

Could it work? We know Talib can catch. Should they try it again?

But looking at it again his hand was hit while throwing, it wasn't just a terrible pass.

Not sure if they should try it again. What I do know is that it looked like Talib had the entire field open and would have been an easy 6.

Although I am not a huge fan of plays like these, I had more problems with the execution. Even though the play was designed to be a lateral, Edelman should have known that he should have not lateraled the ball because he had a defender in his face.

Not sure if they should try it again. What I do though is that it looked like Talib had the entire field open and would have been an easy 6.

If executed correctly, it could have been a huge play. Edelman drew all the defenders away from the side of the field of Talib. The problem is that Edelman did not have a clear shot to lateral it to Talib. When he saw the guy in his face, he should have just protected the ball and went down.

edelmanwoops.gif

Ugly bugly, it actually made me lmao at the time,

Edelman should have abandoned it when he was falling over, and tried it again on the next play. I think we'll try it again in the 4th quarter on Sunday when we're 40 points up :D

Looking back at it now, that was great hustle by Talib to jump on that ball to prevent the turnover. There was a stampede of guys on him right as he was securing the ball.

"Belichick's genius status has been revoked". I know it's a joke caption but if Ebner blocks his guy Edelman gets it to Talib and they might have score a TD.

So really it was a genius call but wasn't 100% executed properly

Ebner missed a block. Otherwise, we would have a major gain, perhaps a touchdown. BTW, even the media announcers were able to figure that out.

I hope not. That play had disaster written all over it, they were lucky not to lose possession.

That said, now that they've shown it, hopefully punt coverage units will have to honor the possibility, and that may open up some lanes for Edelman.

When I saw it happen live I thought Edelman was trying to salvage a poor punt return, on the first replay I realized how brilliant it would have been if executed properly, Talib had a nearly clear shot to the endzone and would have at least put us deep into Saints territory.

I think we try it again, too soon to try this week though, maybe giving it a slightly different look, like the pitch man on the other side of the field, and maybe having Boyce/Slater/Cole or someone out there, just to keep things different.

This is going to be one of those things we break out again in the playoffs, like Chungs fake punt. I just think this one is a little better prepared.

Edit: Had the Bears tried this it would have been another fabulous example of their stellar return schemes, much like Hester calling the fair catch while the ball is falling to the other side of the field into Knox's hands for the return TD (funnily enough, called back on penalty)

Clearly that was not Ebner's fault, since everyone loves Ebner so much. I blame Matt Light!

Won't be happening again as long as Ebner keeps blocking like that.

It has already accomplished its fundamental purpose. Every ST coach will be warning his guys to maintain their lanes thus opening up the return avenues for the ever dangerous Edelman.

But if they do it again. I can be sure it will be better executed. It couldn't have been worse.

God, I hope not. I can't be the only person here who had the following responses to that play:

WTF?
NOOOOOOOOOO!
(Phew) (when Talib covered it up)

looked like tebow was returning the kick when i saw that lateral.

Probability of a lateral on a return was well <1% before this play. I don't think this experience increased the chances.

God, I hope not. I can't be the only person here who had the following responses to that play:

WTF?
NOOOOOOOOOO!
(Phew) (when Talib covered it up)

Initially that's how I responded but after Talib recovered and reading some of the responses in the game day thread I was in tears laughing. May have been a decent play but it was such poor judgement at the time, really silly.

I'm glad comeone brought this up. As much of a warrior Edelman has been this year, taking his usual pounding and getting right back up there, I have to wonder about his intelligence. Maybe that's a harsh statement but Man, was that a bad decision! I realized it was a designed play but you need to square up and throw in the air, not hesitate, spin and throw a groundball.

Somewhere Tebow is shaking his head at that pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe