PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Fred Taylor be back this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOODOOZF

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but even at this late date I think Fred Taylor is the most talented rb on the Patriots roster.

Does anybody know if it is likely he will play this season and if he does what would his role be?

Call me crazy, but even at this late date I think Fred Taylor is the most talented rb on the Patriots roster.

Does anybody know if it is likely he will play this season and if he does what would his role be?

Agreed on talent, and as for him returning, I'll believe it when I see it.

I think so. Those turf toe injuries aren't stubbed toes, they are damaged ligaments underneath from a toe being bent back. He's taking the time to heal and at his age, it might take a bit longer.

Props to BJGE for last week, and the games before the previous two. Hope he keeps it up, but yes Taylor is our most talented back. Age might slow him down, but he's a star talent RB and there are only so many at a time.

Of course, you are what you are, so if BJ is going to drive himself every week, he can be better than some (me too) thought.

Id say he will be at practice next week. Last week BB said he was recorving faster and faster, and is close to returning to practice.

Id assume the injury is/was turf toe?

hopefully they are saving him for the stretch run, I would like to see him come back around week 16 for a tune up.

Various sites say about 4 to 6 weeks more or less and coming back early can definitely aggravate it, so it seems it's as it should be.

Go BJ, for now.

I guess he was all used up in the preseason.

He'll be back in time to get ready for the playoffs. Hopefully, he can make it through the entire slate.

I think so. Those turf toe injuries aren't stubbed toes, they are damaged ligaments underneath from a toe being bent back. He's taking the time to heal and at his age, it might take a bit longer.

Props to BJGE for last week, and the games before the previous two. Hope he keeps it up, but yes Taylor is our most talented back. Age might slow him down, but he's a star talent RB and there are only so many at a time.

Of course, you are what you are, so if BJ is going to drive himself every week, he can be better than some (me too) thought.

Age and injuries have really slowed him down and decreased his effectiveness here. He looks like he is running in quicksand this year.....slow motion. He is not our best RB this year....BJGE is. Fred was one of the greatest complete RB that I have personally watched (saw a few games in jax)......but I'm afraid his days in nfl are done. Turf toe on one foot is bad enough...he has it on both I believe...wish him the best....

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, Fred will be back. NE currently has no RB on the Practice Squad, which suggests a minimum degree of comfort with the RB pool NE currently is carrying.

-- Green-Ellis and Taylor will platoon as feature backs.
-- Woodhead is the passing down back and the change of pace back.
-- Morris is blocking back and emergency depth.
-- Edelman and Hernandez may also factor into the depth/role equation.

As long as he's back for a few warmup games before and then the playoffs I'll be happy. I agree he is the best pure runner we've had the past 2 seasons, then again I never thought BJGE would take Maroney's spot. At the least, Fred is a solid weapon who will help alot if he's here even for just 4-5 games.

I think there are a few things that I think are going on with Fred Taylor...

1) As others have stated, turf toe injuries take time and with someone of Taylor's age, they want to make sure it heals 100%

2) Taylor is the best RB on the roster- period. BB thinks he can make it back.

3) They are winning without him. If his legs can stay as fresh as possible for Nov and Dec and hopefully into Jan (Feb???) great!

3) BB is a pretty cold guy when it comes to roster moves, but I do think for veterans who have shown respect for the game and the organization, BB cuts them a little slack and gives them every opportunity to be successful.

I don't think BB will cut Fred slack on next year's roster tho.....Enough of the injury riddled old men....time for some youth.

Keep Faulk next year if he doesn't retire. He is usually healthy and an asset. Platoon Woody and Faulk in situations....maybe even have them both in the backfield sometimes.....that could make for some exciting plays !

I think Fred will ride off into the sunset after this season ends..(SB would be nice but not expected)

He would be on IR if he were not returning to the roster, and release of Clayton with no RBs on PS makes me thing it will be sooner rather than later.

It would be nice to have him back for the cold weather games this winter.

@ Buffalo
@ Chicago
GB @ home
NYJ @ home

playoffs??!!!

He may have lost a step but I think he is the best goal line back the team has.

after the browns we face teh steelers and the colts

if hes not back for those two games, i would expect him back for week 15, so hes tested before having to play a playoff game

He was great in the brief moments we saw him earlier in the year. He is basically the only back capable of hitting a 30 or 40 yarder but generally can't be relied upon, he is just too brittle.

It would be nice to have him back for the cold weather games this winter.

@ Buffalo
@ Chicago
GB @ home
NYJ @ home

playoffs??!!!

He may have lost a step but I think he is the best goal line back the team has.

goal line back? i dont have evidence of even real insight as to why he may NOT be so, but i do know from what ieve seen this season taht BJ is an EXTREMELY GOOD goal line back, and i really dont see how a back could have been better for us in the goal line

if hes within 15 yds of the end zone, this guy gets the TD, one way or another (BJ that is)

-- Green-Ellis and Taylor will platoon as feature backs.
-- Woodhead is the passing down back and the change of pace back.
-- Morris is blocking back and emergency depth.
-- Edelman and Hernandez may also factor into the depth/role equation.
Yup, that's the set up. Do you think the Pats will 1) Draft a platoon back high next year (like Ingram) to replace Taylor? 2) Resign Faulk next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back