PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receivers depth chart

A guy with 2 touchdowns in 3 seasons is not in the #1 receivers discussion

Maybe he will get better, but his current
Resume has decent yardage and catches, but he falls short in TD’s & Yac 2.7 yds, 130th best in a 32 team league
Are you too stupid to understand that his first year Brady was basically ignoring him, his second year he had Cam I can't Hit the Broad Side of a Barn Newton and his third year, when he had a reasonable facsimile of a QB he started scoring TDs? You remind me of the idiots who wanted to ship JE out of here every year.

Are you too stupid to understand that his first year Brady was basically ignoring him, his second year he had Cam I can't Hit the Broad Side of a Barn Newton and his third year, when he had a reasonable facsimile of a QB he started scoring TDs? You remind me of the idiots who wanted to ship JE out of here every year.
Edelman always had insane quickness and it was obvious he had special yac. The comparison of the two is way off base. Same with Welker.

Lloyd is a better comparison, but with less speed and quickness. Lloyd was a better player

You can’t win if you don’t score.

Meyers has 2 touchdown over his 3 year career.

That’s not good for a starter & you can’t compare Meyers to Edelman.

Meyers is 130th in the league in YAC at 2.7 yards. 130th in a 32 team league is not impressive

Meyers is a guy who can help, but I would
Compare him to Amendola instead of Edelman.
Meyers has more yards and TDs than Edelman in his first 3 years. I dont think it's fair to compare a year 3 Meyers to a year 6 Edelman.

Meyers has more yards and TDs than Edelman in his first 3 years. I dont think it's fair to compare a year 3 Meyers to a year 6 Edelman.
Really? You want to compare the super athletic Edelman with Myers? Come on, this must be disingenuous.

Really? You want to compare the super athletic Edelman with Myers? Come on, this must be disingenuous.
I'm saying that a comparison of a guy in his first 3 years to a guy that had 6 years of development in the Patriots system. Plus had Brady throwing to him the whole time vs. A washed up Cam Newton and a rookie QB for 2 of those 3 years. Seems a little silly

I'm saying that a comparison of a guy in his first 3 years to a guy that had 6 years of development in the Patriots system. Plus had Brady throwing to him the whole time vs. A washed up Cam Newton and a rookie QB for 2 of those 3 years. Seems a little silly

All true, but last year Mac was desperately looking for a go-to 3rd down receiver and Meyers was missing. That's what the Pats are looking for.

Bourne has skills other WRs on the team don't have, Parker is this year's experiment at #1, and Thornton is the guy for the future.

It appears they will build Mac's future from there. If those guys above don't work out, the team might commit to Meyers longer term, but if Nixon or another WR shows up in camp, Meyers has to viewed as odd man out, especially looking at 6-8 million after this year.

All true, but last year Mac was desperately looking for a go-to 3rd down receiver and Meyers was missing. That's what the Pats are looking for.

Bourne has skills other WRs on the team don't have, Parker is this year's experiment at #1, and Thornton is the guy for the future.

It appears they will build Mac's future from there. If those guys above don't work out, the team might commit to Meyers longer term, but if Nixon or another WR shows up in camp, Meyers has to viewed as odd man out, especially looking at 6-8 million after this year.
I think a lot of this can be true and Meyers still have a significant enough role here to value keeping him even in a walk year.

I thought Mac didn't handle the blitz the best last year. He had some good recognition, but teams with disguised or delayed blitz packages gave him some trouble. On 3rd down he made so.e great plays, but they also kept the reigns on him. Going with the safe play a lot. I think they give him a lot more free reign this year. Hopefully getting the deep ball way more involved

Last edited:
I thought Mac didn't handle the blitz the best last year. He had some good recognition, but teams with disguised or delayed blitz packages gave him some trouble. On 3rd down he made so.e great plays, but they also kept the reigns on him. Going with the safe play a lot. I think they give him a lot more free reign this year. Hopefully getting the deep ball way more involved
Their O-line was a mess most of last year and was criticised here most of the year. They did straighten things around by the end of the year though. But somehow, the narrative is now changing and last year line has become the 90's cowboys line and the sacks were all Mac's fault.

The line sucked for 2/3'ds of the year in pass protection. There is a reason Mason is no longer with us and Bill used a bunch of draft capital to upgrade it. Hopefully the changes will help upgrade the line and give Mac some time to throw.

Their O-line was a mess most of last year and was criticised here most of the year. They did straighten things around by the end of the year though. But somehow, the narrative is now changing and last year line has become the 90's cowboys line and the sacks were all Mac's fault.

The line sucked for 2/3'ds of the year in pass protection. There is a reason Mason is no longer with us and Bill used a bunch of draft capital to upgrade it. Hopefully the changes will help upgrade the line and give Mac some time to throw.
The line issues weren't all the their fault. Early in the season Mac wasn't doing a good job of staying in the pocket and would move out of his protection. The line wasn't great, but for the first 3 games, Mac was making their lives a lot harder.

I hope the Meyers defenders know he's not better than Parker - Agholor or Bourne he's a #4 at best who used as a #1 here. Thornton and Nixon could make Meyers expandable I rather guys with a little more speed and Meyers is not quick either. I could see them Trading him if Nixon is for real Nixon have much better skill set potentially a guy who threaten the intermediate and deep parts of the field. TC should be very interesting with the WR competition.:cool:

I think a lot of this can be true and Meyers still have a significant enough role here to value keeping him even in a walk year.

We agree.

But it not even about Meyers. If the team feels someone (Nixon) can fill the same role at least as well, they will not keep 6 WRs (not counting Slater).

Meyers has a 4 million completely tradable cap hit. And they might even get someone for him like offensive line depth.

If they feel Nixon can step in, and the deal is right, why not?

Agholor would be the other option, but I don't know how tradable he is.

y
I hope the Meyers defenders know he's not better than Parker - Agholor or Bourne he's a #4 at best who used as a #1 here. Thornton and Nixon could make Meyers expandable I rather guys with a little more speed and Meyers is not quick either. I could see them Trading him if Nixon is for real Nixon have much better skill set potentially a guy who threaten the intermediate and deep parts of the field. TC should be very interesting with the WR competition.:cool:
I don't disagree with much of what you posted. CLEARLY the Pats have made "speed" a primary focus at a LOT of positions like WR, OL, RB, and ILB. I think this is going to be a factor going into next year when the Pats will have a good cap situation. So lets go to Meyers. Here's a guy who's forty time is slow (for the position) But remarkably its the SAME time (4.63) as Cooper Kupp (4.62) So why is Meyers an 800yd guy when he's getting the most targets and Kupp had almost 2000 yd and was CONSTANTLY getting open deep as we saw in the playoffs. I'm guessing the reason is Kupp's 6.75 3-cone time. He is just more explosive coming out of his cuts to gain a bit more separation. Now Meyer's time wasn't shabby at 7.07, but its likely the reason Kupp gest the separation of say an Edelman (who also had one of the fastest 3-cone times at his combine, though Edelman was rarely used on deep routes

Meyers has proven that he is a reliable target who gets open in short to mid range routes. 800 yds in your 3rd season with a rookie QB are good numbers. BUT Meyers is what he is and that is going to be the #4 WR at best to start the season. However the Pats won a LOT of games in the 20 year Brady era throwing to reliable guys just like Jacobi. I'm GLAD he's back and is a key dep.th piece that Mac is comfortable with already. He STILL has a role on this team and its an important one. That's why I glad that Nixon and Wilkerson will be pressing HARD to move up the ladder. Its about time we have decent talent at WR that's being pressed by legitimate contenders (if what we saw in minicamp with Nixon was any indication)

Competition is a key component in making everyone better and the ENTIRE WR has a LOT to prove and playing well this season is really important to all of then.

1 its a contract year for Aghular - He's either going to be a $15MM/yr guy or a $5MM/guy after this season,. So being his best is critical for him.

2. Its also a big year for Bourne. He is currently making relative peanuts for this year and the next year. ($3.5 and $4.5 ) With a big year, he will get a big extension next year and I believe he WILL be a breakout performer this year,

3. Parker - is in a similar situation. He has 2 years left with the Pats at about a very reasonable $6MM/year. If HE wants a big raise in an extention then he has to have a big year too.

4. Meyers - as we said, for him he's either going to be a $4MM/yr guy for us or his next team in 2023 or a $10MM guy for his next team.

5-7 - Nixon, Wilkerson, and Montgomery are all just desperately struggling to stay in the league. I LIKE the desperate part of that sentence. We don't have to worry about these guys motivation for camp.

So for all of our top guys it is CRITICAL they play well this year. I LIKE that. ALL these guys NEED to perform at a high level if they want to make big money for us or some other team. So not only will their coaches and teammates be urging them on, so will their agents be on the phone telling them to work hard and smarter because anything other than excellence will determine if any of them will get "paid"

BTW- in my never ending quest to remind people that Mac Jones is a very good athlete, it didn't surprise me that Mac's 3-cone time was SLIGHTLY better than Jacobi's (7.04 vs 7.07) ;)

Last edited:
Bears receivers:
Darnell Mooney (ok?)
Byron Pringle
Tajae Sharpe
Velus Jones Jr.
Equanimeous St. Brown
That's the worse WR corps in the league. Poor Fields.

Ravens:
Rashod Bateman (best?)
Devin Duvernay
Tylan Wallace
James Proche
Who are these guys?
They do have Mark Andrews.

Texans have no depth behind Cooks. Falcons?

There's plenty of teams that could use an Agholor. He may do better in another system.

Darnell Mooney's really good.

And I like the Ratbirds' WRs, including Mac's best friend, Slade Bolden... Thought he was a can't-miss UDFA signing for us...?

Who agrees with Mark?

Seems like a lot to me... But the league's gone crazy with the WR money lately, so who knows?

Despite the aforementioned crazy money, Nelson (Malcolm would've made the tackle) Agholor's still overpaid.

Who led the team in first down catches? Who led the team in catches of 20 yards or more? Who led the team in reception yards per game? Who had a drop rate of less than 2.4%?

JM's drop rate is very low yet his drops are memorable due to the ol "run before catching" - better that than bad hands for sure..

And I like the Ratbirds' WRs, including Mac's best friend, Slade Bolden... Thought he was a can't-miss UDFA signing for us...?
Understood. Have to believe Nixon is slotted for that position. Nixon knows the playbook and is more athletic (by a lot). Otherwise why not sign Bolden?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back