PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receivers depth chart

what the heck does he mean by “a true number 1 receiver”?
I’d really like to know what the criteria for a “true number 1 receiver” would be.
An "Alpha". A guy who makes DC's sweat at night like Randy Moss and Gronk at TE did. Someone who commands a lot of attention from a D which is not guaranteed to work and opens up the field for others. A player who routinely makes big plays and has the confidence he can beat anyone in the NFL.

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more I think a true number 1 is a fantasy football wet dream.

He‘s that guy that the entire offense runs through, so a no-brainer selection during your fantasy football draft.

Not having a true number 1 WR is as bad, no worse, than running back by committee. Worse because passing is more of the offense than running. Both are bad because they deny the fantasy football players easy pickings.
He's Randy Moss. They had him for 2.5 years, didn't win a championship. In the other 20 years they DIDN'T have a 'true WR1' they won six championships.

Pats Top 3 WRs ranking
Harry
Parker
Borne

An "Alpha". A guy who makes DC's sweat at night like Randy Moss and Gronk at TE did. Someone who commands a lot of attention from a D which is not guaranteed to work and opens up the field for others. A player who routinely makes big plays and has the confidence he can beat anyone in the NFL.
A whole lot of good that did them in the Superbowl

Pats Top 3 WRs ranking
Harry
Parker
Borne
Harry?!?!????

What do YOU think the future of N’Keal Harry look like?
Not with the Patriots. I would be flabbergasted if Harry was on New England’s roster in Week 1.

The much-maligned receiver was mostly relegated to scout-team duty this week after skipping voluntary OTAs, with the majority of his reps coming with third-string rookie Bailey Zappe at quarterback.

By my count, Harry caught one of his four targets on Day 1 of minicamp and wasn’t targeted in competitive team drills on Day 2. On one of those targets, he was too easily outmuscled by cornerback Jalen Mills for a pass breakup — an issue that’s plagued the 6-foot-4, 225-pound pass-catcher throughout his career.
from Patriots Mailbag: Are Critics Underestimating Mac Jones, New England?
(emphasis added)

We are talking about practice. You wait till the pads come on, the real Harry will show up.
For the first time since he was drafted?

He has had his opportunities, has not done enough with them. He’s on very thin ice.

I’d love to have him perform at a level justifying his draft status, or even a roster slot, but I just don’t see him doing it. Leopards don’t change their spots. He is what he is and he has had years to show us what he is.

For the first time since he was drafted?

He has had his opportunities, has not done enough with them. He’s on very thin ice.

I’d love to have him perform at a level justifying his draft status, or even a roster slot, but I just don’t see him doing it. Leopards don’t change their spots. He is what he is and he has had years to show us what he is.
I can't believe that people still want to give Harry another chance.
That isn't meant as a knock on where he was drafted, it's a knock on the player.
There's no way of knowing that any player will end up a dipstick and a lost cause like him.
Many people wish that they had his ability when they were young.

I can't believe that people still want to give Harry another chance.
That isn't meant as a knock on where he was drafted, it's a knock on the player.
There's no way of knowing that any player will end up a dipstick and a lost cause like him.
Many people wish that they had his ability when they were young.
I suspect trolling.

20220612_110930.jpg

Hopkins not on there because of suspension.

He's Randy Moss. They had him for 2.5 years, didn't win a championship. In the other 20 years they DIDN'T have a 'true WR1' they won six championships.
While this is true if you're only talking about players who are officially/nominally wide receivers, we did have Gronk. Of course, we still demonstrated the ability to win without him because of all his injuries, but it can't be overlooked that there was a player in our offense for a long time who did put up per-game receiving stats comparable to a star WR. Kelce and Kittle also fall into that category.

Personally, I think this receiving group could be enough to win playoff games if they carve out complementary roles and develop good chemistry with Mac (the blocking also needs to be good). I just had to show some love for Gronk as a #1 passing target.

…Personally, I think this receiving group could be enough to win playoff games if they carve out complementary roles and develop good chemistry with Mac (the blocking also needs to be good). I just had to show some love for Gronk as a #1 passing target.
Reading this it sounds like they are developing good chemistry with Mac, and also that Mac sees the importance of them carving out complementary roles. That to me is a leading indicator of good things to come.

How Mac Jones, Tre Nixon Built Connection Long Before Spring Breakout

While this is true if you're only talking about players who are officially/nominally wide receivers, we did have Gronk. Of course, we still demonstrated the ability to win without him because of all his injuries, but it can't be overlooked that there was a player in our offense for a long time who did put up per-game receiving stats comparable to a star WR. Kelce and Kittle also fall into that category.

Personally, I think this receiving group could be enough to win playoff games if they carve out complementary roles and develop good chemistry with Mac (the blocking also needs to be good). I just had to show some love for Gronk as a #1 passing target.
Although the Pats haven't had what people would call top talent over the last 20 years, in addition to Gronk and Moss, they had enough. Troy, Welker and Edelman were HUGE. So were Patten and briefly Givens. Who am I missing? Oh yeah, Amendola made some key plays for a stretch too. Terry Glenn was good enough. They did fine.

I don't understand why people just dismiss Meyers. He's gotten better every year in the league. He's done his job with a different starter each year too.

Parker needs to show he can do it in our system and hopefully be a little healthier but we know what Parker can do too.

Likewise with Bourne he's done it for two teams now and will be going into year 2 of our system.

None of this requires much projection if they just play like they have for years then WR will be one of the better position groups on the team.

Also let's just say that Agholar can be useful just not likely worth what we pay him. Let's just call him a back up.

The projections come from what can Thornton, Nixon, and Wilkerson contribute? Or some pipe dream that Harry can do anything. Leave Harry out of it and that's 3 guys for the 5th or 6th wr spot and with one of them being a high pick it's not crazy to expect a decent amount of contributions from them. Possibly enough where 1 or 2 could beat out Agholar.

I don't understand why people just dismiss Meyers. He's gotten better every year in the league. He's done his job with a different starter each year too.

I think the feeling is Meyers is not a difference maker, doesn't play special teams, and will likely command a salary next year beyond his value for these reasons.

I don't think it being Meyers dismissed as much as I see it that the Patriots might decide to move forward the inevitable a year early, if someone like Nixon looks ready to step in.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back