PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receivers depth chart

Ty Montgomery is listed on the roster at WR. Although, he also is considered a RB/WR/KR "tweener" by a lot of folks.
He did not show up on the patriots.com unofficial depth chart, so I missed him. He has some competition ahead of him if he’s a WR.

If tre Nixon lights up it's a toss up between agholor/Meyers from a trade standpoint . Harry and Wilkinson are gonna be cut . Thornton is a lock unless he picks an injury and is redshirted in which case we keep both Meyers and agholor . Come to think of it, the likelihood that Thornton and Parker get injured is super high. So it might not be a wise move to trade Meyers.

If tre Nixon lights up it's a toss up between agholor/Meyers from a trade standpoint . Harry and Wilkinson are gonna be cut . Thornton is a lock unless he picks an injury and is redshirted in which case we keep both Meyers and agholor . Come to think of it, the likelihood that Thornton and Parker get injured is super high. So it might not be a wise move to trade Meyers.
Meyers. All he does is catch the ball. Oh, wait. Isn't that a good thing?

He did not show up on the patriots.com unofficial depth chart, so I missed him. He has some competition ahead of him if he’s a WR.

If they carry six WRs he'd likely make it ahead of Nixon/Wilkerson/Perry (also Harry, assuming he'll be gone).

Roster management has changed with the new practice squad rules.

For example, Wilkerson can be WR #6 from the practice squad.

Players who once weren't quite good enough can now establish longer term roles as shadow roster practice squad players.

Nixon is a slot receiver… based on what? I see him at that fast position.

I agree about Thornton, there’s always ways to stash players.

Nixon was in the slot both days of mandatory camp this week. That is why he was making catches while Jon Jones was covering him. J Jones is the slot CB.

Does bb trade agular before the season begins?

There are usually 4 active for a game, if I recall? A fifth on the roster but inactive. Injuries often determine who, but when all are healthy, its matchups and game plan.

That's a deep list, but it only has four proven players on it, and one of them is injury prone.

On the other hand, if Nixon really is going to be hard to cut, he creates a nice problem for #5.
the 5th was the punt retiurner last year

Nixon is a slot receiver… based on what? I see him at that fast position.

I agree about Thornton, there’s always ways to stash players.
only if you want him to miss the year

Please list all the players who spent the entire year on IR that because major contributors for the patriots.

Stashing rookies on IR for a season is NOT the patriot way.

Stashing rookies on IR for a season is NOT the patriot way.
IR the entire year no, but the Pats have had their fair share of rookies become David Copperfield and disappear without any explanation - “Foxborough Flu”.

Ronnie Perkins is the latest.

IR the entire year no, but the Pats have had their fair share of rookies become David Copperfield and disappear without any explanation - “Foxborough Flu”.

Ronnie Perkins is the latest.
Sure, but we're discussing the 53 man roster. Players can make the 53 man roster and then go on IR after using up a roster spot at the cut,.

Meyers 130th in Yac at 2.7 yards

Not a bad bench player, for short money, but I don’t understand people wanting him to be a starter.

He can get open & that’s an art, but he lacks talent across the board.

Not fast
Useless after the catch
Needs the Waze app to find the end zone.

3) New England Patriots​

Mac Jones is coming off a solid rookie season in which he led the Patriots to a 10-7 record and playoff berth. But the one obvious issue all year was that the Patriots lacked a true explosive passing game and instead had to rely on the short to intermediate game along with a strong running game. All offseason it was rumored that New England was looking for a true No. 1 receiver to pair with Jones. And although they did trade for Devante Parker, he has yet to truly prove he is capable of being a No. 1 guy, with injuries plaguing him for most of his career.

Going into the season Jones’ top weapons at receiver are Kendrick Bourne, Jakobi Meyers and Devante Parker — all of whom are better suited as a two or three at receiver. The lack of a true No. 1 at receiver could be their downfall as the season progresses and the Patriots could be best served to address the position once more before the season starts.

OBJ?

3) New England Patriots​

Mac Jones is coming off a solid rookie season in which he led the Patriots to a 10-7 record and playoff berth. But the one obvious issue all year was that the Patriots lacked a true explosive passing game and instead had to rely on the short to intermediate game along with a strong running game. All offseason it was rumored that New England was looking for a true No. 1 receiver to pair with Jones. And although they did trade for Devante Parker, he has yet to truly prove he is capable of being a No. 1 guy, with injuries plaguing him for most of his career.

Going into the season Jones’ top weapons at receiver are Kendrick Bourne, Jakobi Meyers and Devante Parker — all of whom are better suited as a two or three at receiver. The lack of a true No. 1 at receiver could be their downfall as the season progresses and the Patriots could be best served to address the position once more before the season starts.

OBJ?

Well if this guy writes it, it has to be true.

777DFD93-19F5-460E-B6D1-5169433FAF21.jpeg

33rdteam.com. Lolololololololol.

I just added your boy Nate to my list of top 10 random dudes pretending to be football experts who need a razor and an orthodontist. It looks like he took his profile photo in a high school basement, during a break from his primary job as the school’s head custodian.

Well if this guy writes it, it has to be true.

View attachment 43489

33rdteam.com. Lolololololololol.

I just added your boy Nate to my list of top 10 random dudes pretending to be football experts who need a razor and an orthodontist. It looks like he took his profile photo in a high school basement, during a break from his primary job as the school’s head custodian.
Thanks for reading the article and supporting the33rdteam. Anything you disagree with that he wrote?

Thanks for reading the article and supporting the33rdteam. Anything you disagree with that he wrote?
I read his article. I think I disagree. But he omits one key fact that makes it impossible for me to know what he’s really saying.

what the heck does he mean by “a true number 1 receiver”?

how do i tell the difference between that “true number 1 receiver” and a false number 1 receiver?

so what he is saying is that the Patriots don’t have a player that suits his undefined criteria, and thus they must add someone (OBJ?) to fill that void. of course it’s OBJ, he’s a darling of the Fantasy Football bros. That suggestion does nothing to enhance my view of his post.

I’d really like to know what the criteria for a “true number 1 receiver” would be. I suspect it will be something like “the one guy the defense can’t shut down” and I think that’s not part of Belichick’s design. I think Bill tries to build a receiving corps that the defense can’t shut down. Shut down one somebody else is open. The whole is more than the sum of the parts. And the guy who wrote that article just doesn’t get it.

I read his article. I think I disagree. But he omits one key fact that makes it impossible for me to know what he’s really saying.

how do i tell the difference between that “true number 1 receiver” and a false number 1 receiver?

so what he is saying is that the Patriots don’t have a player that suits his undefined criteria, and thus they must add someone (OBJ?) to fill that void. of course it’s OBJ, he’s a darling of the Fantasy Football bros. That suggestion does nothing to enhance my view of his post.

I’d really like to know what the criteria for a “true number 1 receiver” would be. I suspect it will be something like “the one guy the defense can’t shut down” and I think that’s not part of Belichick’s design. I think Bill tries to build a receiving corps that the defense can’t shut down. Shut down one somebody else is open. The whole is more than the sum of the parts. And the guy who wrote that article just doesn’t get it.

There are 32 teams in the league

My guess, a True #1 is a top 32 receiver who is the best on your team.

Jacobi Meyers #44 PFF is not a True#1

That’s my interpretation anyways

There are 32 teams in the league

My guess, a True #1 is a top 32 receiver who is the best on your team.

Jacobi Meyers #44 PFF is not a True#1

That’s my interpretation anyways
The more I think about it the more I think a true number 1 is a fantasy football wet dream.

He‘s that guy that the entire offense runs through, so a no-brainer selection during your fantasy football draft.

Not having a true number 1 WR is as bad, no worse, than running back by committee. Worse because passing is more of the offense than running. Both are bad because they deny the fantasy football players easy pickings.

A true number 1 receiver: on 3rd and 7 from your own 28 yard line, can beat double coverage and get you a first down, plus more!

I added "OBJ?" because he's the only talented receiver left in FAcy. He's talking about guys like DAdams, CKupp, THill, DHopkins, SDiggs, Chase, etc. that can get open and stress the D, but can make a catch even when well covered by a CB#1.

Here's another site saying basically the same thing.

20. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

The Patriots' receiving corps contains plenty of nice, complementary pieces, but it still lacks a true No. 1 wide receiver who quarterback Mac Jones can rely on to beat man coverage in key situations. DeVante Parker comes in from Miami to be one of New England's top options on the outside, but even he failed to top an 80.0 PFF grade or 2.0 yards per route run in his best season with the Miami Dolphins.

One storyline worth watching is whether the Patriots can get tight end Jonnu Smith more involved in their offense after giving him over $30 million guaranteed last offseason. Smith appeared in 16 games during the 2021 season but ran only 158 routes (52nd at tight end) and posted his fewest receiving yards (294) since the 2018 season.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back