PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the Super Bowl loss isn't as bad as everyone thinks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it's like the difference between being a millionaire and a billionaire (as a fan, obviously I'm neither). We're already millionaires. The perfect season would have made us billionaires but I can live with being a millionaire too :)

Thank you for that statement! That probably sums up best how I feel. We will be remembered as a great team for a long time. However the perfect season would have been immortal!

It is not the fact that we lost the super bowl that is bad. We've lost a couple of them before and I hardly gave them a second thought. Its the missed opportunity in this case. Yeah their great, but they could have been outstanding. Realistically, they will never have a chance to be "billionaires" again.

Hopefully this will change, but I think that even if they go on to win the superbowl this upcoming year, I will still have that nagging thought in the back of my mind that it was not 19-0.

That sums up perfectly the other part of what I feel. We(or any other team) may never enter that doorway to perfection again.

Not only that...but while we didn't come out with a win in the end, we did set records that will be the focus of every team for years to come. In a few years, people may not remember who won this Super Bowl...but if you ask them which team went 16-0 in the regular season...or which QB threw 50 TDs...or which receiver caught 23 etc....

...I'm pretty sure they'll know.

:woohoo:

Records get passed, it is even possible some team may have a 17-0 regular season someday. But no one else will win SB 42.

Last night here in Jacksonville, I went to a minor league hockey game, while waiting in line for beer, the person in front of me made a comment to the person behind me as they were wearing a Pats shirt, he was a pats fan, and here in Florida, there we were, 3 pats fans in a row, and we just talked and reminsed about the super bowl wins... WE chatted about the loss for the first minute, but instantly talked about the awesomeness of the other championships!

That's whats awesome, in 20 years, we will always have the 3 wins to talk about, what you did, where you were, how you watched it, the stories... ect...

If your still upset about the loss, think about the sweetness that was the 3 champiosnhips. Especially having the chance to GO to the first win was awesome and will always trump a loss in the SB.

I'll give you credit for your optimism. Yet, the Pat's SB 42 loss will go down in infamy. It ranks up there with "New Coke" as an epic failure.

You are going to be reminded of it every week of next year's season. Until every team loses their 1st game you'll here things like, "better to lose now then lose in the SB like the Pats".

We have made Tom Coughlin one of the highest paid coaches. Hill-Billy Ely Manning is the Giant's "Joe Namath" because of us. Ely is one step closer to the NFL HOF because of the Pats.

I am a 30 year die hard Pat's fan. The SB 42 loss has the opposite affect on me. It tarnishes the previous win. SBs 36 was just luck. The Rams lost the game because of poor coaching strategy just like the Giants got lucky in SB 42 due to Pat's poor coaching strategy.

In my eyes, Bill Belichick has gone from a great coach to a good coach. 18-0, 14 point favorites, already beat your opponent, have the NFL MVP, highest scoring team in NFL history and you lose with your fewest point total of the year.

One guarantee- every Pats fan going to Gillette this fall will take at least one look at our banners and get bummed out. That's how bad this loss was. I can watch SB42 highlights and not get bummed, but when I watch highlights of the other SB runs or games from the 2007 season, I get this sense of impending doom, like great times are destined to come to a painful end.

Game 1 of the 2008 season will go a long way to help the healing process.

I think we can all be assured the the New England Patriots will be among the 5 teams of the past 5 decades to dominate the 10 year period,in fact its all but clinched unless the Colts win the SB twice in the next two years.

Detroit - TEAM OF THE 60s
Pittsburgh - TEAM OF THE 70s
San Francisco - TEAM OF THE 80s
Dallas - TEAM OF THE 90s
New England - TEAM OF THE FIRST 2000s DECADE

I live near Jax, and have gone to a few of the Barracuda games that he's referring to. There's a tone of NE transplants down here, that frequent the local games. Especially during baseball season, where the Suns have virtually copied Fenway. I always see Red Sox and Patriot stuff. I haven't had much of a chance to talk to any, but I can say that I didn't see fewer Pats stickers, banners, etc. after the SB, in fact, I saw more.

Yeah we love us some sports...

Too bad the locals have no clue what a sports town is... The Jags are almost ready to leave any year, they just lost a basketball team, and the minor league hockey team has been demoted from the arena to the public ice rink...

I actually yesterday drove to the arena, only to find out they moved... I was shocked, I felt like I was going to watch someone friends little brother play a sport rather than going to a minor league game...

Sorry....it IS bad. Every time I think of that long, tough, pressure driven 18-0season only to have the boys lose the last BIG GAME in the final 2:30 by a fluky escape from a sack, a really great but extremely lucky helmet catch, and a Super Bowl win by 3 points on a bad defensive play, it puts me into a funk.

It totally sucked, and it still sucks.

I'll give you credit for your optimism. Yet, the Pat's SB 42 loss will go down in infamy. It ranks up there with "New Coke" as an epic failure.

You are going to be reminded of it every week of next year's season. Until every team loses their 1st game you'll here things like, "better to lose now then lose in the SB like the Pats".

We have made Tom Coughlin one of the highest paid coaches. Hill-Billy Ely Manning is the Giant's "Joe Namath" because of us. Ely is one step closer to the NFL HOF because of the Pats.

I am a 30 year die hard Pat's fan. The SB 42 loss has the opposite affect on me. It tarnishes the previous win. SBs 36 was just luck. The Rams lost the game because of poor coaching strategy just like the Giants got lucky in SB 42 due to Pat's poor coaching strategy.

In my eyes, Bill Belichick has gone from a great coach to a good coach. 18-0, 14 point favorites, already beat your opponent, have the NFL MVP, highest scoring team in NFL history and you lose with your fewest point total of the year.

I agree this game will go down in infamy as maybe the greatest SB ever played but I dont think it should tamper /w the feeling you received from the previous 3 Sb's and even towards Brady and Belichick.

I want to be a billioniare. Can me greedy, call me arrogant, whatever I don't care.

I want another Championship........good news, so does Mr. Brady.

I agree...we were millonaires about to become billionaires but just as the merger was about to be official, they caught me sleeping with the opposing CEO's wife...and in a blink I lost it all. That's what the SB felt like.
It sucks being a millionaire now, doesn't it?

I like your style and attitude OP, I really do; that said, this loss was an all out kick in the nuts. If they were 14-2 or 13-3 going into the game, that would be one thing, but 18-0, and to lose is just too over the top for me.

I thought our chances of losing based on our record and based on the team we were playing with that weak ass secondary and hayseed deer in the headlights QB was about a million to one............go figure.

I thought our chances of losing based on our record and based on the team we were playing with that weak ass secondary and hayseed deer in the headlights QB was about a million to one............go figure.

Our last 3 playoff losses have been against QB's with less-than-stellar reputations (Peyton's playoff reputation was bad). If it was reputation-vs-reputation, we'd win all of them. That's why they play the games.....

Nothing you said will make me feel better about our IRREPLACABLE SB loss. I can't believe that BB and his players didn't finish it. It was the WORST loss in NFL history because it was the game which could change the court of NFL and mankind history.

I'm not sure if Pats can do something like that in 08 season. Let us hope they do.

Last edited:
Nothing you said will make me feel better about our IRREPLACABLE SB loss. I can't believe that BB and his players didn't finish it. It was the WORST loss in NFL history because it was the game which could change the court of NFL and mankind history.

I'm not sure if Pats can do something like that in 08 season. Let us hope they do.

Wow, the history of mankind itself. That's deep, man.

I like your style and attitude OP, I really do; that said, this loss was an all out kick in the nuts. If they were 14-2 or 13-3 going into the game, that would be one thing, but 18-0, and to lose is just too over the top for me.

Exactly how I felt. I'm usually pretty leery about every game, but this is one (along with anytime we play the Bills) I felt most confident about all season. I felt more confident in this game than I did in the Week 17 match-up.

If you were to rewind back to Sunday morning, and without me having knowledge of what that actual outcome of the game was going to be - I would have bet over $10,000 on that game.

Good thing I didn't have the money that day.

The loss hurt. I don't even care about sports anymore. Maybe by the time training camp rolls around I will have moved on. It definitely doesn't help me that I live in New York. Everywhere I look I am reminded of what could have been. I can't even go into a Stop & Shop without seeing Giants DVDs and merchandise for sale. It's painful... really painful.

The loss hurt. I don't even care about sports anymore. Maybe by the time training camp rolls around I will have moved on. It definitely doesn't help me that I live in New York. Everywhere I look I am reminded of what could have been. I can't even go into a Stop & Shop without seeing Giants DVDs and merchandise for sale. It's painful... really painful.

You want to tick them off....tell them they lucked out when we lost the game. They did not win it - we lost it.

We have three Championships this decade they barely have one and it took luck on top of luck on top of a very injured Brady and then a decimated line on top of luck and even more luck to get it.

They are one and done and we will still be there - still in contention for more Superbowls.

Wear your Pats colors loud and proud...if indeed you really are a fan that is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST