PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the BB vs Brady argument is unfair

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, we all know the trendy storyline all season has been..........who will fair better "Brady vs Belichick"?
It's as if the outcome will finally decide the age old debate of who was the bigger contributor to the Pats success, Brady or Belichick?

It's as if Pats fans have to decide if they are Team Brady or Team Belichick and you must root for one and against the other. That is completely false. Let's be happy to root for both! I am purely in the camp of rooting for the Pats and Brady. If push came to shove and someone said, well, in the Brady vs BB debate do you at least favor one side over the other (even if very slightly)? Well, if push came to shove, I guess I would slightly be on the side that Brady was slightly more of a contributor to the team's success than BB BUT THEY WERE BOTH REALLY IMPORTANT!

Ok, so now that I've established that I would be more for Brady (even if slightly) in this age old debate, I still think the argument is VERY UNFAIR against BB.

1.) The trendy stat is now.....Brady has 2 playoff victories without BB, but BB only has 1 without Brady
This drives me nuts. Should we just not even consider the two Super Bowl titles that BB was a major factor with the Giants. Why does that conveniently get thrown out in the trash. The guy was friggin carried off the field by his team. So if there was any doubts about his contributions to the team, that should end it right there.

2.) Environment and culture...sure, Brady no longer has BB in his ear today, but Brady is still taking the experience and mentorship that BB provided with him to TB. So to some degree, Brady's success in TB is still attributable to BB. I mean, do we really think that all of the QBs the Browns selected over the years were complete garbage? NO, it was the environment and lack of guidance/leadership that I'm sure was the downfall for some. BB provided a positive culture for Brady that allowed him to succeed. Sure, it wasn't all BB. Tom deserves most of the credit ,but we can't overlook the fact that BB did play a role in his development.

I don't think it is a horrible thing to think one is slightly more responsible than the other. I do think it is bad to act like one side carried the other.

QBs > Coaches

With that said I wonder if the Pats would have made the playoffs if Brady was suspended for the season in 2016.

With JG I say yes. With Brissett no.

QBs > Coaches

Yeah that's why Green Bay has been to so many SBs with Rodgers.

What it really boils down to..

A great QB is an insanely valuable asset for a NFL team. A great coaching staff is an insanely valuable asset for a NFL team. Both combined are multiplicators on top of each other where the whole is more than just the sum of its parts.

Just be happy that you got to see two GOATs working together for almost two decades. That is rare ****.

It's unfair, I agree. It seems fun for some people to pick a favorite, but mostly it seems like a popularity contest. I immensely enjoy rooting for both of them (BB more, because he is the coach of my favorite team). Football is a team game and the head coach and QB are the most visible leaders, we were lucky to have them both year together for so long.

Edit: I agree with luuked

It’s a tremendously stupid argument, because every great QB had a very good to great coach. All of them; (even Peyton). They both played an equal role in NE’s success between 2000-2020. However, if someone wants to play that game...IMHO, I’d say Brady 50.5/ BB 49.5 ONLY because Brady actually had to play the games; and I don’t even feel right saying that.

Last edited:
OP is right, we can appreciate both, and it took both (plus great ownership, coaches, and most of all players) to win 6 SBs.

In terms of the debate, I think Brady was more important due to his play which had the most impact on the field and his off field attributes such as leadership, studying, and taking coaching.

We were lucky to have the greatest player ever and the best coach of his era.

It’s a tremendously stupid argument, because every great QB had a very good to great coach. All of them; (even Peyton). They both played an equal role in NE’s success between 2000-2020. However, if someone wants to play that game...IMHO, I’d say Brady 50.5/ BB 49.5 ONLY because Brady actually had to play the games; and I don’t even feel right saying that.

You better up your Brady contribution number to at least 50.8 or we'll be arguing all night.

I also think it's unfair to compare them on this year alone so far. Brady got to hand pick a team that not only had a tremendous amount of talent already stocked (because they've been bad to mediocre for years), but that also likely gave him some assurances that they would be pushing to win now for the next few years at least. Signing Brown and Fournette and trading for Gronk, etc. Belichick meanwhile has the task of resetting the cap and rebuilding. I was hopeful they could be a playoff team this year, but looking objectively going into this season it seemed pretty obvious that Brady would have more success than Belichick in 2020.

Now, if Brady wins the Super Bowl this year or next (or both), and the Pats fail to return to relevance at all, it's 100% fair to start to question the ratio of contribution. But for this year it's a bit unfair, because (as I saw another poster say once) Brady started in the poll position for this race.

I also think it's unfair to compare them on this year alone so far. Brady got to hand pick a team that not only had a tremendous amount of talent already stocked (because they've been bad to mediocre for years), but that also likely gave him some assurances that they would be pushing to win now for the next few years at least. Signing Brown and Fournette and trading for Gronk, etc. Belichick meanwhile has the task of resetting the cap and rebuilding. I was hopeful they could be a playoff team this year, but looking objectively going into this season it seemed pretty obvious that Brady would have more success than Belichick in 2020.

Now, if Brady wins the Super Bowl this year or next (or both), and the Pats fail to return to relevance at all, it's 100% fair to start to question the ratio of contribution. But for this year it's a bit unfair, because (as I saw another poster say once) Brady started in the poll position for this race.
We only have this year so far so that is fair. Everything will be reevaluated next year. That's how it works.

I disagree. Brady went to a irrelevant franchise with a loser mentality that was under 500 last year and hasn’t been on the playoffs for 13 years. He has them in the NFC title game. They do have talent at the skill positions but with Covid and reduced practice it’s pretty damn special what he’s been able to do. He instantly brought credibility and belief.

Belichick’s team was 12-4 last year. Yes they are starting to rebuild, but who’s at fault for the roster talent level?

I think Brady is himself a difference between 3-6 added wins, depending on the team.

I guess TB12's highschool and college coaches are responsible for this season as well. I'm sure they are on standby for that call from the hall.

It seems many here have fully embraced a cult mentality.

Synergy. [2 to 3] plus [2 to 3] = 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye