PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why not give Gostkowski a chance to kick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat_Nasty

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Sure, it would have been a long one, but the Pats were indoors, and it was a no-pressure situation.

We're dead last in FG's attempted -- why not give the kid a chance to try a 50 yarder in ideal situations? It would be good experience.

I agree with you on this one too. personally I am not sure why we went for it on 4th down when we could've kicked it. I was hoping to see Gost kick a few more during game time to get better - but oh well, the coaches' know best and I am sure they know what they were doing when they were going for it.

EDIT: But then again, we do have a very high percentage of TD scored in red zone, so if it means Gost will be standing on the sideline more... that's fine with me

Last edited:
NEM said:
Most of us, at the Vine,kthought the same thing. He needs to get some kicking opportunities for confidence.
I agree too,I thought they were going to get SG to kick a long one-If he missed it,big deal? It would not have cost us the game - As I have said earlier today in a post I think we did more passing than ever before in a game already dominated by us in the 4th quarter strictly to setup a longer throwing practice for what I believe is going to be a passing shootout and not a big running game like most people think...remember just as you think you have figured BB and staff out,they surprise you..I think we go air crazy on sunday-weak indy run defense or not-we will be testing their corners all night IMO

Last edited:
PATRIOT64 said:
I agree too,I thought they were going to get SG to kick a long one-If he missed it,big deal? It would not have cost us the game - As I have said earlier today in a post I think we did more passing than ever before in a game already dominated by us in the 4th quarter strictly to setup a longer throwing practice for what I believe is going to be a passing shootout and not a big running game like most people think...remember just as you think you have figured BB and staff out,they surprise you..I think we go air crazy on sunday-weak indy run defense or not-we will be testing their corners all night IMO

I'm sure this will be done to death soon, but my take vs. the Colts would be to come out in our base two TE set, and run Dillon up the middle once, maybe twice if he's successful the first time. This should get the Colts to show the totally-sold-out-vs.-the-run schemes they were using vs. the Broncos last Sunday. With the Colts sending guys in on run blitzes and playing their LBs close up to the line, we then procede to throw off play-action play after play -- and unlike Plummer, we'll do it successfully -- and keep throwing until the Colts are forced to play the pass honest.

That's when you gouge the up the middle with Maroney + Dillon, liberally mixing in draws + delays.

At what point in the game was the fourth down effort? Did a first down do more good by killing clock or was 3 points and a chance to kick under perfect conditions that won't test an outdoor kicker more important.

Looks like BB is trying his best to "red shirt" him, however cannot tie up a roster spot. I am confident as the season goes on will use him more and more, why use him when you do not have to?? As far as Monday went, looks like ball control was a very good choice.

i agree too and honestly i expected that BB gave his ok to procede with the trying fg

it could have been a good test

I said the same thing to my husband. It seemed to me the perfect opportunity to maybe increase the confidence of our kicker.

Pat_Nasty said:
Sure, it would have been a long one, but the Pats were indoors, and it was a no-pressure situation.

We're dead last in FG's attempted -- why not give the kid a chance to try a 50 yarder in ideal situations? It would be good experience.

When of the team's 5 scores, 4 are TD's, I say let them be last in FGs attempted. I prefer a TD with an extra point.:)

Pat_Nasty said:
We're dead last in FG's attempted -- quote]
I thibk that that is directly related to being first in red zone effiency...and after last year, I have no complaints....

Patsfanin Philly said:
Pat_Nasty said:
We're dead last in FG's attempted -- quote]
I thibk that that is directly related to being first in red zone effiency...and after last year, I have no complaints....

Yes, the reason we're dead last in FGs attempted is a good one -- we're #1 in red zone efficiency -- but the fact is, we still have a rookie kicker who's only attempted 9 FGs all season, only one of which was beyond 40 yards (a miss).

I guess I just figure that when it comes time for him to kick his first pressure-situation make-it-or-we-lose kick, I want him to have as many attempts under his belt as we can get him.

They were at the 32. I think Belichick's been pretty consistent over the last few years of going for it on fourth down from 32 yards and out. So I don't think it's a Gostkowski issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore