PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is a top FA LB more likely in 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why anyone would be bashing the Colvin signing. He was fantastic for us up until he had the foot (or whatever it was) injury in 2007.

Not sure why anyone would be bashing the Colvin signing. He was fantastic for us up until he had the foot (or whatever it was) injury in 2007.

Initially, the Colvin signing was a terrific move. He showed his

considerable skills in his very first game. Then, his hip gave way

and he was never the same player again.

Unless we win the SB, it will be many years until I stop re-living this season in my mind, having drafted Matthews and Laurinitis. I suppose it would help if Brace and Chung were pro-bowlers in 2010 or 2011.

The logic here is flawed in two ways.

first and obviously hindsight is great....30 teams wish they Drafted Brady.

second despite winning the SB don't you think the Bucs still wish they had drafted Brady.

Initially, the Colvin signing was a terrific move. He showed his

considerable skills in his very first game. Then, his hip gave way

and he was never the same player again.

Agreed on all counts.

Belichick had his chances to secure more LB help in 2009. He chose to use resources differently. Why should 2010 be any different?

I expect Burgess or Green to be re-signed, Wilfork to be franchised, and Woods to be again be given a high enough tender to keep him. That would give us this group to start:

NT (2) Wilfork, Brace
DE (4) Warren, Wright, Pryor, Burgess/Green
OLB (4) Banta-Cain, Thomas, Ninkovich, Crable
ILB (3) Mayo, Guyton, McKenzie
LB/ST (2) Woods, Alexander

I expect that this group will be stronger as the kids get more experience.

There is certainly room for 2-4 new players as upgrade to this group of 15. Thomas could certainly be sent packing, but I don't see how it strengthens the team to do so.
=============
There will be room for as many young stud DE/OLB as Belichick wants to add as well as room for a veteran or two. Somehow, I don't see Belichick changing his approach much.
==============

And sure, I'd love to see Merriman and a top rookie ADDED to the above group.
You are one of very few posters who is realistic about the Patriot's
linebacking situation. I expect the Patriots to neither sign a big name
free agent linebacker nor expend a high draft pick on one and groom
him for the future. I salivate when I read mayoclinic's list of the
DE/OLB choices in the 2010 draft but know BB will pass on them
and draft a linebacker in the 4th or later rounds who will probably
get injured or be cut.

In addition to linebacker, the Patriots have not been overly successful
with cornerbacks either. When Asante Samuel was an RFA, the Patriots
could not recognize whether Asante was a legitimate cornerback or just a
good nickle corner. It took two Pro-Bowl appearances to show them he
was a very good player.

Last edited:
only if the OLB situation is just as bad as it is now.....TBC is not a starter

i don't think that TBC is a great player i just don't think the pats will bring in more then one OLB that can start over any of the OLB all redy here if they bring in any

QUOTE]You are one of very few posters who is realistic about the Patriot's
get injured or be cut.[/QUOTE]

Based on what? Surplus of top picks in 2010 & 2011, uncapped year and rookie cap will be a HUGE factor in the teams decision. If BB likes a LB, he drafts him (see Mayo) or if is a FA (see Colvin, TBC, AD) he will sign him. History proves this.

In addition to linebacker, the Patriots have not been overly successful with cornerbacks either.

Huh? Asante. You can make an argument for Hobbs. Willhite is improving. Too early to give up on him. Wheatley may be a bust but we dont know that.

When Asante Samuel was an RFA, the Patriots could not recognize whether Asante was a legitimate cornerback or just a good nickle corner. It took two Pro-Bowl appearance to show them he
was a very good player

False. Pats paid him $9m for 1 year. If they thought he was a nickle corner, they would have traded him in 07 offseason as opposed to paying him the $. They didnt think he was worth $9m X 5 years w/ $30m guaranteed long-term.

Last edited:
The moves made the defense younger and alot, lot worse. Not getting any kind of LB help in the first 2 rounds of the draft has left the LB situation worse then it should be and still, trading Seymour was a bad idea because whoever played OLB behind him, would have less people to go through to get to the QB as more of the offensive line would focus on Seymour then they do with Wright or whoever plays RE.

QUOTE]You are one of very few posters who is realistic about the Patriot's
get injured or be cut.

Based on what? Surplus of top picks in 2010 & 2011, uncapped year and rookie cap will be a HUGE factor in the teams decision. If BB likes a LB, he drafts him (see Mayo) or if is a FA (see Colvin, TBC, AD) he will sign him. History proves this.

Huh? Asante. You can make an argument for Hobbs. Willhite is improving. Too early to give up on him. Wheatley may be a bust but we dont know that.

False. Pats paid him $9m for 1 year. If they thought he was a nickle corner, they would have traded him in 07 offseason as opposed to paying him the $. They didnt think he was worth $9m X 5 years w/ $30m guaranteed long-term.[/QUOTE]
With regard to the linebackers, BB has expended exactly one day
one pick on a linebacker in 9 years (Mayo).

With regard to the cornerbacks, if BB was doing a good job developing cornerbacks, why the need for Deltha O'Neal in 2008?

They goofed on Samuel. Samuel's deal is now a bargain.

With regard to the linebackers, BB has expended exactly one day one pick on a linebacker in 9 years (Mayo)

With regard to the cornerbacks, if BB was doing a good job developing cornerbacks, why the need for Deltha O'Neal in 2008?

They goofed on Samuel. Samuel's deal is now a bargain.

Your said that you expect that BB won't do anything when in fact his track record runs counter to your statement. Pretty negative outlook when history tells a different story IMO.

Now, if you want to say he has missed opportunities to draft, keep and sign players X, Y, Z, or did not do a good job of replenishing the Harrisons, Bruschis and Seymours, I will agree 100% there.

Last edited:
I expect the Patriots to neither sign a big name
get injured or be cut.

I think you may be being a tad pessimistic. I admit to some wishful thinking coloring my choices, but I don't think it's quite as bad as all that. BB has shown a tendency to bring in FA DE/OLBs, from Mike Vrabel in 2001 to Roosevelt Colvin in 2003 to Adalius Thomas in 2007 to Derrick Burgess in 2009. He's made some efforts. I don't see us signing Julius Peppers, and Karlos Dansby is a long shot, but Shawne Merriman or Aaron Kampman aren't out of the question. It may not happen, but I don't think it's impossible.

I've given up trying to predict what BB will do, but if he does want to address the pass rush through the draft, this year has as many potential prospects as any. I listed 21 potential guys from the 1st through the 5th round coming out this year in another thread:

- Derrick Morgan*, Georgia Tech. 6'4" 268#. 1st round pick, likely top 15.
- Carlos Dunlap*, Florida. 6'6" 270-270#. Probably 1st round pick, possibly top 15.
- Greg Hardy, Mississippi. 6'5" 265#. 1st/2nd round pick.
- Jason Pierre-Paul*, USF. 6'6" 265#. 1st/2nd round pick.
- Sergio Kindle, Texas. 6'4" 254#. 1st/2nd round pick.
- Jerry Hughes, Texas Tech. 6'3" 257#. 1st/2nd round pick.
- Everson Griffen*, USC. 6'3" 270+#. 1st/2nd round pick.
- Brandon Graham, Michigan. 6'2" 268#. 1st/2nd round pick.
- Eric Norwood, South Carolina. 6', 252#. Likely 2nd round pick.
- Greg Romeus*, Pittsburgh. 6'5" 265#. Likely 2nd round pick.
- Ricky Sapp, Clemson. 6'4" 248#. Likely 2nd round pick.
- Von Miller*, Texas A&M. 6'3" 240#. Likely 2nd round pick.
- Jeremy Beal*, Oklahoma. 6'3" 260#. Likely 2nd round pick.
- Austen Lane, Murray State. 6'6" 260#. 2nd/3rd round pick.
- Jermaine Cunningham, Florida. 6'3" 250#. Likely 3rd round pick.
- Brandon Lang, Troy. 6'4", 250#. 3rd/4th round pick.
- Jason Worilds, Virginia Tech. 6'2" 252#. 3rd/4th round pick.
- George Selvie, USF. 6'4" 245#. 3rd/4th round pick.
- Willie Young, North Carolina. 6'4" 250#. 3rd/4th round pick.
- O'Brien Schofield, Wisconsin. 6'2" 248#. 3rd/4th round pick.
- Lindsey Witten, Connecticut. 6'4" 258#. 4th/5th round pick.

He doesn't have to spend a 1st round pick, but he doesn't have to wait until the 6th or 7th round either. There's almost every variety of pass rusher imaginable in that list - speed rushers like Von Miller and Ricky Sapp, tall guys with strength to set the edge like Greg Romeus and Austen Lane, versatile guys like Jeremy Beal and Eric Norwood, physical freaks like Carlos Dunlap and Jason Pierre-Paul, you name it. I don't think BB is so unrealistic as to imagine that he can succeed with a defense which gets no pressure on the QB, and if he wanted to do something about it, he has plenty of options.

Again, I've given up predicting what BB will do. And I plead guilty to wishful thinking. But I think you are being a tad pessimistic, and I wouldn't give up hope.

I don't see us signing Julius Peppers, and Karlos Dansby is a long shot, but Shawne Merriman or Aaron Kampman aren't out of the question. It may not happen, but I don't think it's impossible.
Aaron Kampman has been terrible in Dom Capers 3-4 scheme and I'm positive Kampman doesn't like playing in a 3-4.

The Pats need to go after Shawne Merriman for the OLB and either Kirk Morrison, Barrett Ruud or DeMeco Ryans to play inside with Mayo. Their #1 pick should be an OLB.

Last edited:
I've given up trying to predict what BB will do, but if he does want to address the pass rush through the draft, this year has as many potential prospects as any. I listed 21 potential guys from the 1st through the 5th round coming out this year in another thread:

- Everson Griffen*, USC. 6'3" 270+#. 1st/2nd round pick.
- Brandon Graham, Michigan. 6'2" 268#. 1st/2nd round pick.
I have seen Graham play a few times this year and he is a monster edge rusher. He single handedly carried the very weak Michigan defense and was big ten's concensus DPOY. Won't be a bad pick at all. He is a stronger version of Lamarr Woodley.

Banta-Cain is a "starter" in passing situations.

only because of how bad the OLB situation is. outside of the other starting OLB for the pats, he has to be the worst starting 3-4 OLB in the NFL

Greetings,

I read years ago that Peppers does not like playing DE in a 3-4 scheme, he likes making plays by going after the QB. IF(and that's a BIG if OLB would be the only thing I would see him playing in NE). All I can say is BB is going to whatever HE sees fit to the OLB situation. And I am of the believe shelling out big bucks to just one guy is not going to be the solution. If a FA deal is done, bring in a few solid players would be best if you ask me.

Shalom,
Celticboy04

Aaron Kampman has been terrible in Dom Capers 3-4 scheme and I'm positive Kampman doesn't like playing in a 3-4.

The Pats need to go after Shawne Merriman for the OLB and either Kirk Morrison, Barrett Ruud or DeMeco Ryans to play inside with Mayo. Their #1 pick should be an OLB.

Kampman was terrible at first in Dom Capers' 3-4, but had improved significantly before going on IR. I'm sure after being a 4-3 DE it was an adjustment and he didn't like it, but he certainly indicated that he was looking forward to getting back and picking up where he left off as soon as possible.

I'd be happy to get Shawne Merriman over Kampman - I'd prefer him - but I'm not sure whether he'll be a UFA or what the cost will be.

I don't see Morrison, Ruud or Ryans being at all suitable for 3-4 ILBs next to Mayo.

We don't need the big name free agents. We need the lunch pail guys that want to come to work to do their jobs. We need the next Bruschi, the next Ted Johnson, and the next Mike Vrabel type of guys to surround Mayo with. With the talent we already have on defense, there is no reason to go out and spend a ton of money on the flashy free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back