PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why I wouldn't be too worried about the Panthers or Cardinals IF we make it to the SB

Status
Not open for further replies.

glm

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The thread about the Patriots success against top D's inspired me to look at how BB's Patriots performed against top offenses in the playoffs in the event we make it to the Super Bowl and play either the #1 ranked (by ppg) Panthers or the #2 ranked Cardinals.

Here are the games:

2001:
vs. #4 Raiders = W 16-13.

vs. #1 Rams = W 20-17.

2003:
vs. #5 Titans = W 17-14.

vs. #2 Colts = W 24-14.

2004:
vs. #1 Colts = W 20-3.

2006:
vs. #1 Chargers = W 24-21.

vs. #2 Colts = L 34-38.

2007:
vs. #5 Chargers = W 21-12.

2013:
vs. #1 Broncos = L 16-26.

So when going up against top 5 offenses in the playoffs we're looking at a 7-2 record and we're allowing them to score 17.6 ppg. Honestly that's exceptional. We've only let a top 5 offense to score more than 20 points in the playoffs on three occasions.

Against top three offenses (really top two, we haven't played any third ranked offenses) we're sitting at a 4-2 record and we're allowing 19.8 ppg.

We're 3-1 against #1 offenses and we only allow them to score an average of 16.8 ppg when they play us in the playoffs. These 4 offenses (01 Rams, 04 Colts, 06 Chargers, and 13 Broncos) averaged 33.2 ppg in the regular season. That's a 16.4 point swing.

I doubt it comes to a surprise to anybody but BB really has a knack for shutting down high powered offenses. If we make it to the SB, I really wouldn't be surprised if our opponent scored in the high teens or lower 20s.

All hail to King Bill.

Last edited:
Big game palmer might be worse than big game manning.

If we don't win it I'd hope Arizona wins it. but if the pats played Arizona 10 times as the teams currently are, I really think we would win 7 of those games. Carolina i think probably 5 and 5

As Winston Wolf once said, "Let's not start sucking each other's ****s quite yet".
As fans we can suck our own ****s all we like. Now if the players start doing it then that'd be problem.

As fans we can suck our own ****s all we like. Now if the players start doing it then that'd be problem.
Then, the way I hear it, Broncos have a problem...

Not sure why the 2004 defense guarantees a win next week.
I'm looking at how BB led Patriot defenses perform against top offenses in the playoffs. Not really sure why you're bringing up the 2004 defense exclusively.

Hell, the last time a BB led defense faced an elite offense in the playoffs (the 2013 Broncos) they held them to 26 points when they were averaging 37.8 ppg.

It's basically a testament to BB's skill of stifling high powered offenses in the playoffs.

I'm looking at how BB led Patriot defenses perform against top offenses in the playoffs. Not really sure why you're bringing up the 2004 defense exclusively.

Hell, the last time a BB led defense faced an elite offense in the playoffs (the 2013 Broncos) they held them to 26 points when they were averaging 37.8 ppg.

It's basically a testament to BB's skill of stifling high powered offenses in the playoffs.

You think they'd do worse against teams with poorer statistics?

BB absolutely deserves credit but typically high-scoring offensive teams during the regular season see their offensive output reduced during the playoffs.

Playoff football is a different beast. More often than not high scoring teams during the regular season score less as they typically face better teams that execute more efficiently on offense and defense.

Even the 2013 Broncos who "only" scored 26 vs the Pats scored less vs SD the week before and as we all know only scored 8 points vs SEA in the SB.

Big game palmer might be worse than big game manning.

If we don't win it I'd hope Arizona wins it. but if the pats played Arizona 10 times as the teams currently are, I really think we would win 7 of those games. Carolina i think probably 5 and 5

I don't understand this thinking. Palmer was in a big game last week and he won.

I wasn;t aware that palmer had a tendency to choke. Tear ACL? sure, but choke? not so much.

I'm not thinking about the Panthers or Cardinals but if I were, I'd be very worried about the Panthers.

I don't understand this thinking. Palmer was in a big game last week and he won.

I wasn;t aware that palmer had a tendency to choke. Tear ACL? sure, but choke? not so much.

Palmer currently has a TD/Int ration of 259/166 in 160 games = 1.56
Newton: 117/64 in 78 games = 1.83
Manning: 539/251 in 266 games = 2.15
Brady: 428/150 in 225 = 2.85

So, throwing a couple of picks in a game is not unlikely for Carson Palmer.

IMO: Good QB, but not worrisome.

If you saw the problems Alex Smith and his punchless group of skill position players gave the Patriots, you should be worried about what Cam and his better group of skill players could do.

If you saw the problems that Fitzy, Brandon Marshall and Decker gave the Patriots, you should be worried about what Palmer and his group of big receivers could do.

To me matchups are more important than historical data involving different players and teams. Of these two, I think I prefer the matchup against the Cards since I think Palmer is more likely to make mistakes than Cam.

I would be worried.

Make no mistake. Either would be better than any team we could have played on the AFC side. AZ/Car/Pats are the top 3 teams this year when healthy.

I don't think there's enough of a history on Carson (or Cam, for that matter) to try to use it as predictive if their performance. Whichever plays better Sunday will likely advance, both those teams are pretty damn good. Carsons wideouts are, I think, one of the tougher position groups in the league matchup wise.

But Palmer didn't play great...took the lead on a tipped ball that coulda been picked, then made a play to get the ball to Fitz who just beasted his way thru GB for the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft