PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why I think Mac Jones might not start this year

BB doesn't put rookie QB's in the first year. Bill will go with Cam and Stidham for this season 2021/22.
This statement is based on nothing! Bill never had a rookie QB who could start week 1 and that includes Brady. Either because the rookies weren’t good enough to start right away or because you have the goat which basically guaranteed that your rookie would never see the field.

If Jones is better than Jones he will play week 1

these claims about what were said to whom and when are just that....claims.

The common wisdom for YEARS was that by the TC of 2001 the best QB the Pats had at practice was Tom Brady. And I think that was because of the "system" that Bill wanted to run. So it wasn't so much that Drew was no longer a quality NFL starter, but he wasn't the best QB for THEM. I believe strongly that the transition to Brady was going to happen in 2001 short of an all pro year and the playoffs with Bledsoe in charge. Clearly that WASN'T happening at the start of the 2001 season. Bledsoe's injury just made that transition easier to make. All the "intrigue" and drama that occurred in all the narratives that are designed to sell books are just that, NARRATIVES.

See the thing is that Drew felt that he was told that he'd have the opportunity to COMPETE for the just of starting QB of the Patriots. The truth is that he HAD been competing for the job of starting QB of the Pats since July and had been LOSING it. By the time of the bad offensive performances to open the 2001 season. (less than 330 passing yds in TWO games), it was no longer a matter of IF but when. Drew's injury was just serendipitous
That's what I heard (and thought for years) as well, but in going down memory lane, I had found quotes from Weis about the situation that seem to refute it. It's not like Bledsoe was bad in the first game, either.

“[Brady] wasn’t better than Bledsoe,’’ Weis told Sports Illustrated’s Greg A. Bedard. “In fact, he wasn’t much better than [Damon Huard]. Bledsoe was clearly the starter. The No. 2 spot, that’s where the competition was. We could have flipped a coin to pick the second guy. We ended up picking Tommy — but it was really close.’’

Bedard, who covered the Patriots for The Boston Globe for many years, tweeted he confirmed Weis’s statement with another source that Brady and Huard contended for the Patriots’ backup quarterback spot.

This statement is based on nothing! Bill never had a rookie QB who could start week 1 and that includes Brady. Either because the rookies weren’t good enough to start right away or because you have the goat which basically guaranteed that your rookie would never see the field.

If Jones is better than Jones he will play week 1
But what if Jones is better than Jones?

That's what I heard (and thought for years) as well, but in going down memory lane, I had found quotes from Weis about the situation that seem to refute it. It's not like Bledsoe was bad in the first game, either.

“[Brady] wasn’t better than Bledsoe,’’ Weis told Sports Illustrated’s Greg A. Bedard. “In fact, he wasn’t much better than [Damon Huard]. Bledsoe was clearly the starter. The No. 2 spot, that’s where the competition was. We could have flipped a coin to pick the second guy. We ended up picking Tommy — but it was really close.’’

Bedard, who covered the Patriots for The Boston Globe for many years, tweeted he confirmed Weis’s statement with another source that Brady and Huard contended for the Patriots’ backup quarterback spot.

Thats what Weis said.
It was Belichick who said Brady was the best qb on the team at the end of preseason.
Think I'll put my stock in the goat HC.

Thats what Weis said.
It was Belichick who said Brady was the best qb on the team at the end of preseason.
Think I'll put my stock in the goat HC.
Makes sense. Thanks for the heads up. I do see the reference in chapter 19 of "The Dynasty." While there are no direct quotes from Brady/Kraft, meaning I'm not putting full stock in anything, the thoroughness with which Benedict worked through the book makes me inclined to believe it.

Im ready for Mac!

Forward.

If Cam produced at the level of an average NFL quarterback, we likely would have won 1-3 more games last year.
If Cam didn't throw a few passes into the ground, we wouldn't have had pick #15 either.

Thanks, Cam!

So, while I agree that it is about wins and losses, I think that performing as an average NL quarterback would give us those wins.
We're on to Cincinatti!

With an investment like this in FA, I don't think BB will tolerate many performances from Cam if he plays like the end of last year. I have confidence in Jones to play better than those performances early on if that's the case.
It'll be all about Jones playing better than Cam or not, not what was spent on FA, that's water under the bridge, a sunk cost.

Ahh, the good old days of gang warfare between Damon's Dames vs Brady's Ladies...

Mac will easily win the competition in camp and be the number one QB, but Captain Cliche is right; BB will not start a rookie at the beginning of the season.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back