PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why I like our chances this year in the playoffs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you already mentioned Brady, who went the distance in his first year as a starter. But there are other success stories:

Ben Roethlisberger in 2004, starting QB as a rookie, made it to the AFC championship game.

Jake Delhomme in 2003, first year as a starting QB, brought the Panthers to the Super Bowl and they came close to beating the Patriots in that game.

Michael Vick in 2002, first year as a full-time starter, beat the Packers in snowy conditions at Lambeau Field.

Chad Pennington in 2002, first year as a full-time starter, clobbered the Colts in the wildcard round.

2000 featured 3 first timers in starting roles, Daunte Culpepper, Aaron Brooks, and Jay Fiedler, all of whom led their teams to victories in their first playoff games. Could've included Donovan McNabb (who also won his first playoff game) but he started about half his rookie season anyway.

Shaun King in 1999, rookie QB filling in for Trent Dilfer, led the Buccaneers to the NFC championship game, and were a controversial incompletion call from possibly sneaking into the Super Bowl.

The odds are certainly stacked against this year's first timers going deep into the playoffs, but getting a win, or two, or even three, is not out of the realm of possibility.

Rivers plays for arguably the best team in the NFL with the best player in the NFL (Tomlinson) at his disposal, and Romo has a great offense to work with while being coached by a man with a history of playoff success. The other potential first timers could be Young, Cutler, or Garrard, but I'm not excited about any of their chances of making a run in the playoffs.

Botown...Excellent points. But look back at who those guys played against in the playoffs. I think we have seen the best the new guys in the league have to offer at this point of thier careers. They are not going to the superbowl in 2007.

Then again, you can never tell with todays officiating.

Bill Belicheck has made a good career of turning rookie QB's and pro-bowlers alike into mistake prone idiots.

I see this year as being a great opportunity for us to get back to the SB.

We will beat Denver. We will probably beat SD. But it will come down to the calls. If we get screwed from the get-go like last year in Denver, well, we have a slim chance of winning.

Good post,it would be sweet if we faced the Bears in the Super Bowl,we owe them one for 1986! In regard to San Diego,Lt and Gates are studs,no doubt,but our run defence has improved this year,and I dont think Gates will have the field day he had last year.Its a new season,anything can happen...

Botown...Excellent points. But look back at who those guys played against in the playoffs. I think we have seen the best the new guys in the league have to offer at this point of thier careers. They are not going to the superbowl in 2007.

Then again, you can never tell with todays officiating.

Bill Belicheck has made a good career of turning rookie QB's and pro-bowlers alike into mistake prone idiots.

I see this year as being a great opportunity for us to get back to the SB.

We will beat Denver. We will probably beat SD. But it will come down to the calls. If we get screwed from the get-go like last year in Denver, well, we have a slim chance of winning.

I agree. Last year was the worst officiating I've ever seen in the playoffs, and that's even if you don't include New England/Denver. Hopefully it doesn't get that bad this year. The Pats can still win this thing.

i would not underestimate the Chargers for any reason, besides Marty's conservativism... they are stacked up front, on both sides of the ball, they have the best player in football, and a real find at WR in Vincent Jackson, who wasn't healthy until Week 9...

also, anyone who insists the Bears' defense is still elite without Tank, Harris and Brown hasn't been paying attention... the NFC is a complete crap shoot... it's as awful as the NL was in baseball this past year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back