Should the Patriots cut Tebow?

• Cut Tebow

Votes: 155 64.6%
  • Keep Tebow

Votes: 85 35.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My chief concern is whether too many resources are being committed to our 3rd QB -- his own offensive schemes, constant 1-on-1 time with Daboll, etc. -- when there remain question marks at even QB#2.

Re: Backup QB Situation

You ever hear the saying "excuses are for failures"?

He has had 12 practices, and he participated in the mandatory organized team activities. Tebow has had more live game action than 50% of the current roster in is career.

Yeah, I've heard the saying. Good thing you weren't my football coach the last year I played. I hurt my foot the day before spring tryouts and I didn't do all that well. Was in the last 1/3rd of the group in the mile run and didn't do all that well in the wind sprints or gassers.

Next day, I returned to camp with my foot in a cast. Seems that I had broken 4 metatarsals the day before camp. Luckily for me I guess, my coach saw that as a reason for not doing to well the day before, as opposed to an "excuse".

He's had 12 days of camp. Pretty sure that actual practices didn't start until day 3. It would be different if we were talking about a few years ago before the new CBA rules.

Yeah, I've heard the saying. Good thing you weren't my football coach the last year I played. I hurt my foot the day before spring tryouts and I didn't do all that well. Was in the last 1/3rd of the group in the mile run and didn't do all that well in the wind sprints or gassers.

Next day, I returned to camp with my foot in a cast. Seems that I had broken 4 metatarsals the day before camp. Luckily for me I guess, my coach saw that as a reason for not doing to well the day before, as opposed to an "excuse".

He's had 12 days of camp. Pretty sure that actual practices didn't start until day 3. It would be different if we were talking about a few years ago before the new CBA rules.

So you're saying Tebow has a broken foot?

Tebow was dreadful last night. Fact. Period. There's really no objective way to justify or excuse a performance like that against the kind of competition he was facing.

With that said Tavon Wilson's sub par game last night - with his camp struggles - concerns me more than how the third string QB is doing.

Demos - here is another saying that is frequently used: "It is what it is."

From my view, the use of "It is what it is" means that the use of excuses are not permitted.

Couldn't Edelman fill this emergency 3rd string QB role without tying up a roster spot? His throwing ability and accuracy couldn't be that much worse than Tebow's, though he lacks height.

I believe your post is on the right track but drawing the wrong conclusion.

I don't think there's a mystery here. I think we want a "mobile" guy running the scout team given how the league as a whole is trending. (Heck, even how our own division is trending.) When we wanted this in practice previously, we used Edelman as the "mobile" QB on the scout team. But Edelman is injury prone and clearly needs to focus more on his role as a receiver now that we have no AHern, Welker, etc.

I think we got Tebow to run the scout team and I think that's why we'll keep him too.

I believe ....

"That is a beginning my son..."

tebow21.jpg

[/sarcasm]

I don't think there's a mystery here. I think we want a "mobile" guy running the scout team given how the league as a whole is trending. (Heck, even how our own division is trending.) When we wanted this in practice previously, we used Edelman as the "mobile" QB on the scout team. But Edelman is injury prone and clearly needs to focus more on his role as a receiver now that we have no AHern, Welker, etc.

I think we got Tebow to run the scout team and I think that's why we'll keep him too.

How many roster spots are we reserving for scout team simulators?

Given how many good players played some QB in high school or college we might have other candidates that can actually help the team during games and given what we saw last nigh, have better mechanics and decision making.

Off the top of my head, Jamie Collins led his team to back to back state championships and he's big and fast. I bet people here could think of a bunch more.

God doesn't care who you are, he just cares if you get rid of the ball at the right time, to the right receiver with some zip on it. I mean we know he takes the day off on Sunday. Coincidence? I think not.

How many roster spots are we reserving for scout team simulators?

Given how many good players played some QB in high school or college we might have other candidates that can actually help the team during games and given what we saw last nigh, have better mechanics and decision making.

I agree, but OTOH, if we do get bit by an injury bug, Tebow could definitely add value in a few spots. He's not as good as a backup at any of them (maybe even bad by NFL standards) but it might be like having a 3rd stringer at more than one position.

And I really do think as fans we underrate scout team QB. I suspect the value of that in practice is higher than we know. This is a team that practices with tennis rackets to simulate long armed defense players.

Or maybe not. Maybe he gets cut. But seeing how the NFL is going I think a "mobile" guy might be worth a roster spot even if it's not exciting for us on Sundays due to having the GOAT at QB.

Oh BTW, I think having 3QBs on the 53 is a waste. Especially when one it TB12. Or course I would hope that they start thinking about keeping Brady away from garbage time unnecessary wear and tear. I dont want to keep going into playoffs with Tom hurting. Games that are in-hand TB should come out. People love to take shots at him.

A spot on the 53 strictly for a player to run the scout team? That's what the practice squad is for, sign a QB that ran the spread option in college and stick him there, not on the 53.

I agree, but OTOH, if we do get bit by an injury bug, Tebow could definitely add value in a few spots. He's not as good as a backup at any of them (maybe even bad by NFL standards) but it might be like having a 3rd stringer at more than one position.

And I really do think as fans we underrate scout team QB. I suspect the value of that in practice is higher than we know. This is a team that practices with tennis rackets to simulate long armed defense players.

Or maybe not. Maybe he gets cut. But seeing how the NFL is going I think a "mobile" guy might be worth a roster spot even if it's not exciting for us on Sundays due to having the GOAT at QB.

Add value? More than a waiver wire player who has played whatever position you're talking about for an NFL team?

I'm not downplaying character, versatility or heart, but it's a business. There are few positions for special teams guys, so he needs to be either a QB or something else, and he isn't anything else, that i know of.

It's not exciting. It's not executing either.

Personally, I thought Mallet looked OK last night.
I see room for improvement, but he seemed to be aware, reasonably accurate and made good decisions.

So did I. Entering a game with 1st and 10 at the one foot line is hardly conducive to POISE.

The poor paly of the RG substitutes after Svitek, reminded me of the Cassell recipe for developing QBs.

But he did move the club. He did lead the team to score the winning points in just under one quarter of play.

I thought he was settling down as time went on too.

Add value? More than a waiver wire player who has played whatever position you're talking about for an NFL team?

I'm not downplaying character, versatility or heart, but it's a business. There are few positions for special teams guys, so he needs to be either a QB or something else, and he isn't anything else, that i know of.

The thinking on having him around is puzzling to me.

I think it was a matter of "Josh, if you can fix him enough by camp that he's worth keeping, I will be amazed. But fine."

He's cheap, and in terms of athleticism, he seems like he should be worth something... and the cost was almost nothing. It's sort of like "pick him up cheap, find his ceiling, reevaluate."

He's got to show enough to be worth keeping on the 53. I really think McDaniels lobbied for him having some sort of enormous upside... muscle memory says you can't fix how Tebow is broken... we'll see whether that's true.

Almost worth keeping + runs the scout team... eh, maybe.

For a small price(league minimum), the Pats are getting a qb that has a good competitive mindset. He has the leadership to help a team move the chains in clutch situations. He's proven he doesn't fold just because the game's on the line. He doesn't have the smooth release of Ryan Leaf had but there are plenty of backups that don't have what Tebow possesses. God forbid something bad happens to Brady or Mallet. But, despite his weaknesses, IMO Tebow could come in and help win a game if asked too.

Should Tebow be cut?

Should we keep Tebow or cut him?

My take is that he should be cut. When the Patriots have to put in a whole new offense just for Tebow who is not a starter and cant run the Patriots offense, its time for him to go. He has not improved since his rookie year. He is not an NFL QB, he is a college QB and he will not succeed as QB in the NFL.

Re: Should Tebow be cut?

Cut him. The only value he has is in emulating left-handed and/or read option QBs during practice, which Edelman could do just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back