PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will be the *one* key to a SB push?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key to a SB run always comes back to the play of your QB but I like the post......I think "other" than Matt Cassel the guy who coulld charge this team to a SB run is Ellis Hobbs. The reason being is that not only is Ellis going to be locked up with the other teams premiere receivers but he also has the opportunity to effect the game on special teams. How many times have we seen a game swing on a big special teams play? Especially in the playoffs where "teams" play is so important in the field position battle and setting up easy scoring opportunites.

Completely agree with this post. As much as I would like to say Merriweather would be the difference maker... Hobbs not only has a major impact on the secondary but he also can make or break our special teams.
I think special teams is a hugely underrated aspect of football, like ernie_adams said a good return could easily change the momentum of a game.

It's not so much about pinning teams inside the 5 as it is a +/- game with the special teams. If you set the 25 yard line as 0 on a kick return than anything minus or less than the 25 is a big win for special teams. Same thing for the punting unit but probably somewhere around the 35 yard line. Those plus numbers can really kill you in the playoffs and put your defense in a tough spot. It's important that our Defense stays out of the redzone as much as possible because we've struggled this year in the RZ. With Belichick getting his start with special teams he knows there are a few special teams plays every SB run that ultimately get you to the big one.

Reactions: JSn
"Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagg
Umm without romo this weekend there is no SB push...

Right. I get it. It's clever, out-of-the-box thinking and I appreciate it. But it's not a long-term, ongoing answer for a potential SB push. Of course, if you are one of those one-game-at-a-time fans who refuses to "look ahead" as if it could possibly impact the team's performance, well, then I can't help you. "

I am indeed one of those fans how the hell are people talking about a SB push when we are on the outside looking in with only 2 weeks left in the season.

There is a very good possibility we push our lockers closed and go home for the year. Nothing clever about it, its just fact.

"Quote:

Right. I get it. It's clever, out-of-the-box thinking and I appreciate it. But it's not a long-term, ongoing answer for a potential SB push. Of course, if you are one of those one-game-at-a-time fans who refuses to "look ahead" as if it could possibly impact the team's performance, well, then I can't help you. "

I am indeed one of those fans how the hell are people talking about a SB push when we are on the outside looking in with only 2 weeks left in the season.

There is a very good possibility we push our lockers closed and go home for the year. Nothing clever about it, its just fact.

Yes, but by this line of thinking, the only threads that should be on the board are about the Cardinals and the Cowboys, Dolphins & Jets game? Seems a bit myopic. The Internet is about diversity. If you want to only talk about "the next game", feel free to ignore broader down-the-road threads such as this. :)

Maybe Wilhite can step up... at any rate, there's a nice little write-up on him the paper.

Patriots' Wilhite starting to get it - The Boston Globe

I just read this article, and was thinking Wilhite would be a great step-up candidate. I certainly think asking him to raise his game to All Pro level is a stretch, but if he can even just play like an above-average CB, that would be a huge boost to the D. :)

"Quote:

I was the one who made the clever remark. Thats all it was, a clever remark.

As for the original topic after much pondering on my behalf, if either Dave Thomas or Ben Watson could ratch it up to "all pro" level our offense would be unstoppable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST