PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who the heck are our linebackers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone know why Uche was sat down for the game? Thought he was supposed to be a real gamer... having issues grasping the playbook? injuries?

I get that this was the opener, and its better to start 1-0 vs 0-1, but that type of game is where the rooks should play significant minutes so get some live action experience... would have been good to see him suited up
I think the matchup had a lot to do with it. Belichick said this morning that they treated Gesicki like a WR, which led to a lot of dime coverage with a safety or two in the box. The snap counts say that the Dolphins' two real tight ends played 13 and 12 snaps and their fullback played 11, and my guess is that matches up pretty closely to when Jennings (9) and Copeland (8) were on the field. Copeland is going to be active because he's the top special teams linebacker, and it looks like they just picked Jennings over Uche knowing that his usage was going to be in obvious running situations.

what were the reps for the various front seven players?

Looks like Bentley was the only LB to play most of the game. Calhoun was next at 52% of the snaps.

anyone know why Uche was sat down for the game? Thought he was supposed to be a real gamer... having issues grasping the playbook? injuries?

I get that this was the opener, and its better to start 1-0 vs 0-1, but that type of game is where the rooks should play significant minutes so get some live action experience... would have been good to see him suited up
Reportedly a minor neck injury per NESN's Doug Kyed.

Copeland at LB and Brooks at db have zero business playing any snaps on defense. They are terrible.

The Pats play the vast majority of snaps in nickel and dime. So hopefully we get away with Winovich, Bentley, and Jennings/Simon come December

Clearly you've never actually watched Copeland play LB. He was always a thorn in the side of the Patriots when they played the Jets. While he's not a Superstar, he's also not Shawn Crable, Bo Ruud, or Rob Holmberg.

As for Brooks, he was terrible last year. However, he actually didn't look lost out there yesterday. Still someone who could easily be upgraded over.

PFF gives the 'roid-cheating JETE stench their top grade based on...13 feckin snaps?!? pff...

Copeland had 8 defensive snaps and 14 Special Teams snaps..

P.S. If you're going to be f'in stupid and claim that Copeland is a cheat for the failed drug test, then you have to say the same about the Patriots since Edelman served 4 games for a failed test as well. As did Harrison. But why be bothered with facts...

Last edited:

Bentley - 51 Snaps
Simon - 42 Snaps
Winovich - 42 Snaps
Butler - 34 Snaps
Calhoun - 33 Snaps
Wise - 24 Snaps
Guy - 22 Snaps
Cowart - 22 Snaps
Rivers - 20 Snaps
X. Williams - 9 snaps
Jennings - 9 snaps
Copeland - 8 Snaps

Clearly you've never actually watched Copeland play LB. He was always a thorn in the side of the Patriots when they played the Jets. While he's not a Superstar, he's also not Shawn Crable, Bo Ruud, or Rob Holmberg.

As for Brooks, he was terrible last year. However, he actually didn't look lost out there yesterday. Still someone who could easily be upgraded over.

I'll keep an open mind on Copeland. I know he only played 8 snaps. Seeing him trail runners I was getting PTSD from Elandon Roberts flashbacks and also Richards flashbacks about Brooks. I see Calhoun played a lot of snaps. I'll see what he did on video or tape. I didn't notice him much on Sunday. Maybe that was a good sign for him, as I typically notice more the players who messed up .

Winovich is probably the best lb on the roster right now. Thats not cause for alarm.
This kid is gonna be a stud. And please dont call him a de.
Coming out of college, he was known as much for his strong run-stopping as his passrushing. With High,Kvn and Collins in front of him, he was relegated to mostly passrushing last year.
He worked with Mayo and Stevie B to learn ALL the lb positions in the offseason.
He also got noticeably bigger and stronger w/o sacrificing any of his speed.
Sunday he played bith r and l olb.
And played well.
I dont remember seeing this, but Belichick had him play nt on one play. Dont think we'll be seeing that on a ft basis lol but it shows the faith they have in him.
Btw- anyone whos got all22- I would live to see a clip of that play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes