PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who the heck are our linebackers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Patriots.com lists the starters as Shilique Calhoun, Ja'Whaun Bentley, and Brandon Copeland, with youngsters Joejuan Williams and Anfernee Jennings in the wings (plus two rookies).

Seeing as how (I think?) none of these guys have even started a game with us, this is really going to be one of the main units which are an unknown "wait and see".

Anybody have any insights or expectations?

I don't recognize most of the team. Thankfully they are still wearing Patriots uniforms so I'll know what channel to watch today.

(It's Bentley's third year with the team. Don't know if he ever started)

Patriots.com lists the starters as Shilique Calhoun, Ja'Whaun Bentley, and Brandon Copeland, with youngsters Joejuan Williams and Anfernee Jennings in the wings (plus two rookies).

Seeing as how (I think?) none of these guys have even started a game with us, this is really going to be one of the main units which are an unknown "wait and see".

That’s the real weakness with this team. Even if they are successfully able to change the offense to suit Newton, and the team thrives and scores points, that doesn’t do anything about the LB and DL situation. I’d run the ball constantly on the Patriots until they prove they can stop it. And I’m fearful they never will be able to prove they can stop it. We’ll see.

Joejuan is a S/CB, not sure why he's listed with the others.

It seems our plan is to use edge defenders as linebackers.

Copeland at LB and Brooks at db have zero business playing any snaps on defense. They are terrible.

The Pats play the vast majority of snaps in nickel and dime. So hopefully we get away with Winovich, Bentley, and Jennings/Simon come December

If you don't know who Bentley or Calhoun are or that they have been here for some time now then I'd say the fault is more with your level of information.

Been outta the loop a bit, but what happened to Uche?

With Donta opting out, our LB's took a big hit.. the void has been filled with what they have. This is Bentley's 3rd year and he has had an injury history... Calhoun and Copeland have been here a while..

With the number of bigger D backs, think BB is reinventing this defense with speedier more agile players to counteract the Jackson's, Murray's, Mahome's etc of the world..

If BB had known about the absence of Hightower, Chung, Cannon etc. earlier and had the resulting cap room earlier in free agency, things may have been different.. the decision on the cap space about Hernandez and Gordon also came later rather than earlier as well.

Lots of factors to consider in all of this and it is what it is..

I have to say that the broadcast did not do a lot to call out who the actual players are and what they are doing. The LBs and DL were barely mentioned. I should have put on the radio.

I have to say that the broadcast did not do a lot to call out who the actual players are and what they are doing. The LBs and DL were barely mentioned. I should have put on the radio.
Lack of impact playmaking combined with poor preparation by the cbs number 1 team = no name lb corps.... The second part is ok... I don't mind them skipping over the linebackers in the telecast, gives them a chance to grown/learn on the job without being subjected to a lot of criticism

Lack of impact playmaking combined with poor preparation by the cbs number 1 team = no name lb corps.... The second part is ok... I don't mind them skipping over the linebackers in the telecast, gives them a chance to grown/learn on the job without being subjected to a lot of criticism
Except that they played fairly well.

Except that they played fairly well.
The lb corps didn't make any major mistakes if that's what you mean by playing fairly well... There was a few containment issues they goofed, and let's not talk about the plays to the flat they couldn't cover... But they were ok ...

And yes, I don't know what their given assignments were so I could be way off base... Or not... Guess we will see in Seattle

Last edited:
Seems like they are going to use some of the safeties as sub linebackers.

Yes, it wouldn't be a new development though. Pretty standard in sub packages, at least since some point last decade. Mark Barron and Deone Bucannon were early, prominent examples of this. We used Chung a lot in that manner.

Yes, it wouldn't be a new development though. Pretty standard in sub packages, at least since some point last decade. Mark Barron and Deone Bucannon were early, prominent examples of this. We used Chung a lot in that manner.
Yeah Chung played a lot of sub LB. I wouldn't be surprised if they try and get Duggar some snaps in that role by the end of the year. They don't have a ton of "true" established linebackers on the roster outside of Bentley and Copeland. They have Jennings who could end up getting more snaps at LB and Uche who I am not sure if he is more of a pass rusher or LB at this point then Wino and Simon who are basically DE's.

Copeland at LB and Brooks at db have zero business playing any snaps on defense. They are terrible.
Truer words have never been spoken or typed...

The beginning of the broadcast also showed Calhoun, Bentley & Copeland as our starting LBs...sad...Calhoun is Not a LB...He's a DE (who can't sack the QB)...Bentley & Copeland are glaciers...

anyone know why Uche was sat down for the game? Thought he was supposed to be a real gamer... having issues grasping the playbook? injuries?

I get that this was the opener, and its better to start 1-0 vs 0-1, but that type of game is where the rooks should play significant minutes so get some live action experience... would have been good to see him suited up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots