PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the Patriots best draft pick (other than Gronkowski) in the past 5 drafts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't feel the need to choose between McCourty and Jones. Very pleased to have the problem of having to do so. One other name that may merit consideration in the future is Shane Vereen. A couple of fully healthy seasons and he could become a serious offensive force. He already would be if he'd held on to some of those catches in recent games.

Chandler Jones is awesome. We have a pass rush again!!! :)

I also really like Shane Vereen if he can stay healthy. He could have had a monster season if only he played all the games. I may have called him a bust once and said Ridley was a better player. I apologize, Shane!

Not seen anyone suggest Ridley... he's had issues for the past few weeks but a starting RB (and one of the better ones in the league) for a 3rd round pick is good.

Chandler Jones. He changes the face of our defense.

You know, there's not a lot of talk about him, but that LT kid we picked up has been pretty solid. Solder?

I do kind of wish we had taken Wilkerson instead of trading down though, he would have been a big help up the middle for our defense. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that trade down resulted in us getting Ras-I 'glass' Dowling. Would much rather have Wilkerson.

Don't feel the need to choose between McCourty and Jones. Very pleased to have the problem of having to do so. One other name that may merit consideration in the future is Shane Vereen. A couple of fully healthy seasons and he could become a serious offensive force. He already would be if he'd held on to some of those catches in recent games.

Didn't expect it to happen quite that soon :) glad it did though. Brady to Vereen compensated for the loss of Gronk for that game at least.

There is a thread opened for biggest draft blunder over the past 5 years so I thought it would be a good idea to take a look at the other side of things. I am removing Gronkowski because he is probably our best selection since Brady.

Candidates
• Marcus Cannon
• Alfonzo Dennard
• Aaron Dobson
• Julien Edelman
• Donta Hightower
• Chandler Jones
• Devin McCourty
• Stevan Ridley
• Logan Ryan
• Nate Solder
• Brandon Spikes
• Sebastian Vollmer
• Shane Vereen

If I left anyone out feel free to add them.

Personally I would say Chandler Jones is the best selection in the past 5 years, though I could make a case for a number of player’s especially McCourty. Who is your pick?

Chandler Jones. He is already a great player and will only get better.

I'm not nearly as high on Chandler Jones as you guys, but it's sad that I still think he's the best pick with McCourty a very close second.

In a year, we could be looking at Dennard as the runaway winner if he can get healthy if you consider where he was taken. It took Edelman four years to play anything close to a full season, but he was a good late pick too.

Not seen anyone suggest Ridley... he's had issues for the past few weeks but a starting RB (and one of the better ones in the league) for a 3rd round pick is good.

Not really. Starting RBs can and have been found after the 3rd round & as UDFAs.
And Ridley's not one of the better RBs in the league either. His value was in 2011,
and remains today, closer to top-150 than the top-75 where Bill took him.

Not really. Starting RBs can and have been found after the 3rd round & as UDFAs.
And Ridley's not one of the better RBs in the league either. His value was in 2011,
and remains today, closer to top-150 than the top-75 where Bill took him.

So you think there's 149 players in the 2011 draft who are better than Ridley? I think you'd be lucky to find 20. Draft picks are always overvalued by fans. Half the first rounders end up being jags, and the number of all-pro caliber players in a single draft is vanishingly small, maybe two or three a year.

Chandler is the second best player we have on defense after Vince.

Hernandez was our 3rd best player on offense after Brady and Gronk.

Solder is overrated by a lot of you guys. So is McCourty. They are both solid, but not elite like Jones is and Hernandez was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes