PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Is Not healthy Enough To Play Against The Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why ????? ...It's their Super Bowl for their fan base.......:D

I expect that lots of players will be recuperating.
I don't - they need to lock up the No. 1 seed. I expect that anyone who did not play this past week may not play, but they won't rest anyone new. If they are able to get up early on the Jets, then they'll probably rest people late in the game, but not otherwise. There's time for recuperation next week!

I don't - they need to lock up the No. 1 seed. I expect that anyone who did not play this past week may not play, but they won't rest anyone new. If they are able to get up early on the Jets, then they'll probably rest people late in the game, but not otherwise. There's time for recuperation next week!
I’m guessing that the hope is that they can take the Bryce Petty led Jets and make this a one-half game. That would likely coincide with what the game plan would’ve been had they already locked up the #1 seed.

We probably should pound Gillislee into the ground next week. Dion’s given us our best running game since 2012 & should be protected from injury.

We probably need Gronk to move the ball. He should be pulled if/when the game’s out of reach.

I wonder if BB plays Hogan to make sure there isn’t that much rest heading into the playoffs.
I think we won't see Hogan again until Divisional.

SIDE NOTE:

After yesterday, Lewis is up to 973 yards-from-scrimmage and 7 TDs (combined rushing/receiving). Five or so total touches against the Jets should put him over the top.

Also, Cooks (quietly) went over 1,000 yards receiving yesterday. He was already at 1,010 combined scrimmage yards going into the game, and now stands at 1,035 for the season, with 6 TDs.
Isn't it odd how a person can perform well statistically and still look somewhat underwhelming to the eye sometimes in sports?

Isn't it odd how a person can perform well statistically and still look somewhat underwhelming to the eye sometimes in sports?
I think he fits a certain role and he fits that role well, but in order for him to excel we need one or both of Edelman/Hogan to take some of the attention away and help to take on coverages.

Definitely not suggesting that he’s a one trick pony, because he isn’t. I can’t wait to see what another full offseason of prep brings for next fall. That said, he’s got some weaknesses like most other receivers and the injury to Hogan certainly hadn’t helped.

It seems to me that, as fans, we've been more or less trained to follow the media spotlight. With the Pats this season, the media has cast its Kleigs mostly on Gronk and Lewis (and Brady, of course). So, our attention is drawn away from Cooks and what he does, literally behind the "scenes" that the media focuses on.

Was the fact that Cooks went over 1,000 yards for the season even mentioned during the game broadcast Sunday? The Pats thus became one of only two teams with two receivers in the Top-15 in receiving yards, the other being KC (Tyreek Hill: 1183, and Kelce: 1038). Was that even noted?

Also, in TV coverage itself, the camera follows the ball and the ball-carrier so exclusively that it often feels to me like watching the game through a mailing tube. So, unless the guys in the booth stop re-re-regurgitating factoids about Gronk growing up in Buffalo long enough to breakdown a play from a different view on replay, fans rarely get to see who else was open, who had great coverage (often Chung), who made critical downfield blocks (Dorsett makes a lot of those), etc.

Even when they do show a replay, they often ignore subtle and unexpected (but crucial) contributions to focus on the obvious, although that often applies to post-game analysis as well. The other day, I saw a breakdown (either Lazar or Baldinger) of a Lewis run up the gut that highlighted a great block by Andrews. What was ignored was the fact that Dorsett had slowed down the would-be tackler first, then handed the guy off to Andrews (who promptly drove the guy back a couple yards into another defender). But, then, Dorsett immediately and deliberately did a 180 to block an LB from invading Lewis' running lane. It wasn't anything like a "devastating" block; Dorsett just leaned into the LB's chest long enough for Lewis to get by behind him. But it was enough to prevent the LB from being able to get a hand on Lewis and it helped create another five yards of free running space.

In the SEA-DAL game, late in Q2, Byron Maxwell created the turnover that led to the first SEA TD by punching the ball out of Dez Bryant's grasp after a catch. The booth replayed it a couple of times, highlightling the punch out and then the recovery by KJ Wright. What they ignored was that Maxwell didn't even attempt to go for the loose ball himself. Instead, he immediately started blocking Bryant. Very, very smart move, given the situation. Buck and Aikman completely missed it.

The point being that, if a player seems "underwhelming", it's good to consider what the media may be causing you to miss about the guy's actual performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes