PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Covers Gronkowski/the running backs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIpats88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
All we keep hearing about the jaguars from the media is how strong their front 4 is and their Cornerbacks.

But what I havent heard discussed much is how their linebackers/safeties are in coverage. Miami exposed that if you play tough man on Cooks, you can effectively limit him. And i cant imagine a gameplan that targets the strength of their secondary. Patriots dont have WR's like the steelers do.

What they do have though is a cache of running backs in white/lewis/burkhead who are solid in the passing game...and Gronkowski who might be the biggest NFL mismatch in the game

The steelers used the same press man against the patriots. and while the struggled for much of the game, they found that no-one could cover gronkowski. and once they figured that out they drove down the field.

If they double gronk it should open up running backs on linebackers 1 v 1. But at the same time if they leave Gronk one on one, we have seen Gronkowski abuse a pro-bowl safety last week against the titans.

A Lot of us has been mentioning this all week.

To beat any great pass rush, especially this defense which seems to be weak with defending RBs out of the backfield, this is the way to nullify it. Brady is the best with beating aggressive pass rushing defenses and would eventually tire them out.... see Falcons game (Superbowl).

Watch the Titans game and I would imagine another game plan that way. Quick over the middle routes, bubble screens and plays out of the backfield to create chunk plays with the elusive RBs we have. To me personally, this is the best way. They have CBs that can shut down fast, tall receivers, downfield guys, but I doubt they have what it takes to stop the plethora of mismatches we can create.

something to note, Leveon bell had 88yards receiving. So there should be plays for Burkhead/lewis/white

All we keep hearing about the jaguars from the media is how strong their front 4 is and their Cornerbacks.

But what I havent heard discussed much is how their linebackers/safeties are in coverage. Miami exposed that if you play tough man on Cooks, you can effectively limit him. And i cant imagine a gameplan that targets the strength of their secondary. Patriots dont have WR's like the steelers do.

I disagree with this completely. Cooks had beaten his man on both those interceptions. If Brady throws the ball deeper, Cooks catches the ball for a lot of yards or a TD.

What they do have though is a cache of running backs in white/lewis/burkhead who are solid in the passing game...and Gronkowski who might be the biggest NFL mismatch in the game

I've heard a lot about using the safeties, mixing it up with a CB on some 3rd downs, and using the LBs, some of who can cover fairly well.

The steelers used the same press man against the patriots. and while the struggled for much of the game, they found that no-one could cover gronkowski. and once they figured that out they drove down the field.

If they double gronk it should open up running backs on linebackers 1 v 1. But at the same time if they leave Gronk one on one, we have seen Gronkowski abuse a pro-bowl safety last week against the titans.

They will have to double Gronk and that is where the RBs will thrive.

While I generally agree, I don't think Miami shut Cooks down due to coverage. Brady just didn't get enough on those throws. Cooks didn't fight for them enough, either. The corner made two great plays, yes, but Cooks was technically open. All it takes is one connection to blow the game wide open.

Patriots need to run a no huddle the whole game. Tire out their defense so by the second half, they are gassed.

Definitely agree with you guys. the way to exploit their defense is to use the RBs on those bubble screens and similar routes. Additionally, our RBs are versatile enough to line up all over the field to give them different looks. Everyone has to be accounted for at all times. I would love it if they double Gronk because that would leave someone else open.

I have Ramsey covering Gronk and the Jack/Smith covering the backs. At least to start.

IMO Ramsey covering Gronk would benefit us. That would compromise the integrity of their defense/scheme. Maybe unless JAC is playing a Cover 3 Match?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes