PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who can make this team better in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can play nose tackle? We already have the best nose tackle anyway.

And I'm not sure Fletcher Cox is stout enough to play the Kyle Love position in the 40 front. Deaderick/Shaun Ellis replacement only.

- Coby Fleener
- Alameda Ta'amu
- Devon Wylie

I think Fleener helps. Ta;'amu brings back up for VW.

Best hands in the Draft and blocks out DBs to catch is Jeffries WR S.C.
I think Melvin Ingram and Vinny Curry.

Now add Reggie Wayne, Adrian Wilson *rated second best cover S in the NFL who at $6.5m is a very real CAP cut and Corland Finnegan. The last guys bring TOUGH.

Then try to steal DE Jared Crick because of injury (see Gronk and Hernandez)
DW Toys

What makes you think we need two ends so high?

I see a defense with an all pro nt and then a huge drop off in talent at the de position. So much so that we have to switch to a 4-3 this season.

Who out of gerald warren, ellis, anderson, pryor, deaderick, brace and wright screams full time starter to you?

In my mind every player i listed above is a situational subpackage player. What our defense lacks are great de's that demand double teams when rushing the passer. Which we have not had since seymour and warren were in their prime. They have never been replaced and our defense has never been taken seriously since.

Plus cox and brockers are true 4-3 players in college so they allow us the flexibility to switch defenses 3-4 to 4-3 depending on the situation. Plus their presence allows wilfork to get some extra snaps off so he is fresh come the 4th quarter.

These two guys excelled in the sec and both havecthe size and strength to excel as 3-4 de's in our defense and we desperately need talent instead of bodies at the de position.

I see a defense with an all pro nt and then a huge drop off in talent at the de position. So much so that we have to switch to a 4-3 this season.

Who out of gerald warren, ellis, anderson, pryor, deaderick, brace and wright screams full time starter to you?

In my mind every player i listed above is a situational subpackage player. What our defense lacks are great de's that demand double teams when rushing the passer. Which we have not had since seymour and warren were in their prime. They have never been replaced and our defense has never been taken seriously since.

Plus cox and brockers are true 4-3 players in college so they allow us the flexibility to switch defenses 3-4 to 4-3 depending on the situation. Plus their presence allows wilfork to get some extra snaps off so he is fresh come the 4th quarter.

These two guys excelled in the sec and both havecthe size and strength to excel as 3-4 de's in our defense and we desperately need talent instead of bodies at the de position.

None of them scream full time starter, but the draft isn't the only way to add players. Spending the first 3 picks on DE seems like overkill to me. The law of diminishing marginal return. I'd rather pick up a Kendall Langford type or draft another one later and focus on other positions once we get the first DE.

If you look at ta'amu as a pure 3-4 nt i think he could make a great backup to wilfork.

A 1st rounder to back up an All Pro NT that we signed to a long term deal tow season ago? No thanks. NT is the only DT position we're stocked at. We need a 5 tech for a 3-4 and a 3 tech for a 4-3. Brockers and Coples can play both positions.

A 1st rounder to back up an All Pro NT that we signed to a long term deal tow season ago? No thanks. NT is the only DT position we're stocked at. We need a 5 tech for a 3-4 and a 3 tech for a 4-3. Brockers and Coples can play both positions.

Amen. The only NT I want to touch is Chapman in the 4th or 5th. Just another stud on a discount.

I'm not thinking of Ta'amu as a backup, he can be a 3-4 NT/3-4 DE/4-3 DT with ease, and I also think he can be an exotic 4-3 DE.

He doesnt fit the prototype of a Julius Peppers, who excel at going around the edge to the QB, but I think he could do it his way, by just going through them with a bullrush.

I'm not thinking of Ta'amu as a backup, he can be a 3-4 NT/3-4 DE/4-3 DT with ease, and I also think he can be an exotic 4-3 DE.

He doesnt fit the prototype of a Julius Peppers, who excel at going around the edge to the QB, but I think he could do it his way, by just going through them with a bullrush.

Russ Lande is also high on Alameda Ta'amu - 6th pick of the Draft to the Redskins:
NFL mock draft: First-round board fluctuates as Combine approaches - NFL - Sporting News

We have enough girth along the DL, we need some burst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back