PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which QB would you like to see the Patriots target in the draft?

It’s Trey Lance or bust for me. I’d be even more thrilled if they miraculously traded up for Trevor Lawrence or Zach Wilson, but I feel like Lance is the best case scenario. I’m squeamish about the history of Ohio State quarterbacks but Justin Fields has been compared to the likes of Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, and Dak Prescott, which I’d be very happy with. Mac Jones seems like a safe option but it reminded me of Andy Dalton at the pro level and I’ve heard the comparisons as well, along with Nick Foles, and it’s not quite as exciting. But his teammates love him even more than Tua so that counts for something.

For me it’s Lance, then Fields, then Jones. After that I’d suppose Kellen Mond if he’s still there in the 3rd round. Or someone like Davis Mills. Otherwise I don’t know, might want to wait until next year. Take it for what it’s worth as I don’t follow the college game closely.

Here’s how I have them rated...

1. Lawrence - No shot.

2. Wilson - If the Jets pass, we should should be on the phone with Atlanta about moving up to #4. I’m assuming the Dolphins will grab Chase.

3. Lance - The next trade-up candidate. Will probably have to trade up into the top 7 to get him. This is who I think the Pats will have their sights set on since I think even the Jets aren’t dumb enough to pass up on Wilson.

4. Jones - I’d be fine with him at 15 or lower with a trade down. Probably one of the few people who has him rated higher than...

5. Fields - I have a late first round grade on him. He will be long gone by then. His tape didn’t wow me. If anything, he just looked more like a product of OSU’s system limiting his weaknesses. His toughness is off the charts, though.

My best guess is the Patriots probably like Wilson more, but will target Lance if they decide to trade up. His game is very similar to Newton’s except he’s been better in the pocket when you compare the two at this point in their respective careers.

Pretty much sums it up. Should just copy and paste this until draft day.

Too many question marks for me about Lance to trade up and give up too much for him. I like Mac jones at 15 if he is still there but i'm not sure he will be. I'm glad i don't have to make this decision. Drafting Qbs can be so hit and miss.

Yes to Lance for a trade up, no to Mac Jones in first rd. where he will most likely end
Jones suffers from 3 things...

1) He isn’t a “new age” QB in the NFL who can run all over the backfield and uncork one when the play breaks down. He’s more of an older school mold type of QB.

2) His arm.

3) Coming from Alabama. Not only do you carry the stigma of past QBs from that school that never panned out, but you also get taken down a notch because of the talent you played with.

I have a late 1st grade on him. Right before Fields, who will get killed at this level if he doesn’t start watching tape of how Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson run. But if there is a run on QBs, and the team doesn’t see fit to trade up, I wouldn’t hate him with 15. If there was an offense tailor made to fit his strengths and minimize his weaknesses, it’s this one.

However this kid has potential and with a help of a vet QB ( I am not sure Cam is the man ) he has a strong chance to be our franchise QB.

When people say a vet could mentor a rookie its more about leadership, accountability, work habits ect. where Cam was excellent last year.

Most of the actual development in terms of all things football is done by the coaches. BB and McD spent reportedly many, many extra hours with Jimmy watching film, talking playbook and all that jazz.

Fields or Lance. If too cost prohibitive then go BPA at #15.

Don't know why people would want Mills. He only has 11 starts. His anticipation is awful and he locks in on his first read on almost every throw. He's at least two years away from starting in the NFL imo. Too raw.

Last edited:
Don't know why people would want Mills. He only has 11 starts. His anticipation is awful and he locks in on his first read on almost every throw. He's at least two yars away from starting in the NFL imo. Too raw.
Agree. If we’re going with Day 2, Day 3 guys, I’d much rather have Trask or Mond before Mills. I’m not sure what people are seeing that makes them so high on him.

Jones suffers from 3 things...

1) He isn’t a “new age” QB in the NFL who can run all over the backfield and uncork one when the play breaks down. He’s more of an older school mold type of QB.

2) His arm.

3) Coming from Alabama. Not only do you carry the stigma of past QBs from that school that never panned out, but you also get taken down a notch because of the talent you played with.

I have a late 1st grade on him. Right before Fields, who will get killed at this level if he doesn’t start watching tape of how Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson run. But if there is a run on QBs, and the team doesn’t see fit to trade up, I wouldn’t hate him with 15. If there was an offense tailor made to fit his strengths and minimize his weaknesses, it’s this one.
Reports from NFL Scouts about his Senior Bowl Performance weren't exactly thrilling to read either so I'd pass on Jones here. I think Pick 15 is too much value for him. In a trade down scenario I wouldn't hate it either but he is probably gone by then

It’s Trey Lance or bust for me. I’d be even more thrilled if they miraculously traded up for Trevor Lawrence or Zach Wilson, but I feel like Lance is the best case scenario. I’m squeamish about the history of Ohio State quarterbacks but Justin Fields has been compared to the likes of Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, and Dak Prescott, which I’d be very happy with. Mac Jones seems like a safe option but it reminded me of Andy Dalton at the pro level and I’ve heard the comparisons as well, along with Nick Foles, and it’s not quite as exciting. But his teammates love him even more than Tua so that counts for something.

For me it’s Lance, then Fields, then Jones. After that I’d suppose Kellen Mond if he’s still there in the 3rd round. Or someone like Davis Mills. Otherwise I don’t know, might want to wait until next year. Take it for what it’s worth as I don’t follow the college game closely.
For me it's Zach Wilson, Lance, Jones and Davis Mills. We'll find out in April.

Reports from NFL Scouts about his Senior Bowl Performance weren't exactly thrilling to read either so I'd pass on Jones here. I think Pick 15 is too much value for him. In a trade down scenario I wouldn't hate it either but he is probably gone by then

Everything I had read, this included talked about how well he did during the Senior Bowl week.

Mac Jones, QB, Alabama​

Jones is going to be picked in the first round. That's my post-Senior Bowl not-exactly-bold prediction. Despite ridiculous efficiency in 2020 for the national champion Crimson Tide, there was still plenty of chatter about Jones' physical limitations pushing him into the second round.

Now, after a stellar week of Senior Bowl practices -- he didn't play in the game -- Jones' stock has been boosted enough that I feel he's essentially locked himself in the first round. In Mobile, Jones threw with pinpoint accuracy and fantastic anticipation to receivers he didn't have any established rapport. A strong week of passing at the Senior Bowl always bodes very well for a quarterback's stock because coaches love to see one thrive in a difficult environment.

I am not a big college football fan or draftnick, so I want the guy who lives up to his draft hype and actually becomes a true franchise QB and not another in a long line of overhyped QB busts. Not sure which QB that is, but I say we should get him. Just my two cents.

Everything I had read, this included talked about how well he did during the Senior Bowl week.

Mac Jones, QB, Alabama​

Jones is going to be picked in the first round. That's my post-Senior Bowl not-exactly-bold prediction. Despite ridiculous efficiency in 2020 for the national champion Crimson Tide, there was still plenty of chatter about Jones' physical limitations pushing him into the second round.

Now, after a stellar week of Senior Bowl practices -- he didn't play in the game -- Jones' stock has been boosted enough that I feel he's essentially locked himself in the first round. In Mobile, Jones threw with pinpoint accuracy and fantastic anticipation to receivers he didn't have any established rapport. A strong week of passing at the Senior Bowl always bodes very well for a quarterback's stock because coaches love to see one thrive in a difficult environment.

I think there were DifferenDifferent views on his Performance. We spoke recently about it in the PTP thread. I wished he could have played during the game there.

My #1 choice is Zach Wilson. But he’s just as unrealistic as Lawrence. So my realistic choice via a trade up would be Lance, and then I really like Jones, last choice would be Fields.

Going on limited knowledge here, admittedly (from what I've been reading):

Lawrence and Wilson will probably go 1-2.

Do they want a Jones or a Fields/Lance type?

No idea. All I do know is that the draft is going to be fascinating this year. It all comes down to who, if anyone, the Pats are targeting at QB. but after that, they've just thickened their roster with quality and younger players.

Suppose Pitts drops to 15...do they grab him, still?

With Andrews back, what do they target? OT would be my guess. CB? LB? DT, still? Can't wait - already got the popcorn cooking.

Going on limited knowledge here, admittedly (from what I've been reading):

Lawrence and Wilson will probably go 1-2.

Do they want a Jones or a Fields/Lance type?

No idea. All I do know is that the draft is going to be fascinating this year. It all comes down to who, if anyone, the Pats are targeting at QB. but after that, they've just thickened their roster with quality and younger players.

Suppose Pitts drops to 15...do they grab him, still?

With Andrews back, what do they target? OT would be my guess. CB? LB? DT, still? Can't wait - already got the popcorn cooking.
Except from QB and BPA perspective I have to think OT CB ILB and WR are top needs. OT bc there is uncertaincy about extending Brown, Wynn's option etc. I mean i'd like to see us keeping both but maybe it's not possible

Michael McCorkle "Mac" Jones

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back