PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which QB would you like to see the Patriots target in the draft?

NashuaPats

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
There is a lot of speculation that the Pats will try to trade up in the first round to draft a QB. There's a lot of discussion about it in various threads. I thought we could consolidate it in one.

Lawrence is out of reach. Wilson likely is as well. Mac Jones may be available at #15. We would have to trade up for Justin Fields or Trey Lance.

I'm wondering who people prefer and why and what it would take to acquire them.

I lean more towards Mac Jones, but the Pats may have to use some draft capital to trade down to get him, which is fine.

He completed 77% of his passes and had a 41TD to 4 Int's last year in the SEC...

I think the general consensus is that if we have a shot at any of the top 5 it's gonna be either Jones or Lance, and i'd be fine with either. I've been a Mac Jones guy for most of the last year but you have to wonder what BB/Josh could do with a guy like Lance.

This team is primed for a rookie to be able to slot in and get comfortable with the NFL, adding our unusually high draft position this year and it just seems like the logical thing to do. I'd be disappointed if we went with a Jimmy G/Mariota instead for those reasons.

A trade up for Fields/Wilson (i'm in the minority who thinks it isn't as clear cut who the Jets will take #2) would be a truly amazing end to free agency/the draft but I just don't see it.

Anyone who can turn around and hand it to Harris and get out of the way.

BB has been in the league many decades. Before many patsfans posters’ birth. Has he ever taken a first round QB ? I think he’ll go qb 3rd or 4th round.

Here’s how I have them rated...

1. Lawrence - No shot.

2. Wilson - If the Jets pass, we should should be on the phone with Atlanta about moving up to #4. I’m assuming the Dolphins will grab Chase.

3. Lance - The next trade-up candidate. Will probably have to trade up into the top 7 to get him. This is who I think the Pats will have their sights set on since I think even the Jets aren’t dumb enough to pass up on Wilson.

4. Jones - I’d be fine with him at 15 or lower with a trade down. Probably one of the few people who has him rated higher than...

5. Fields - I have a late first round grade on him. He will be long gone by then. His tape didn’t wow me. If anything, he just looked more like a product of OSU’s system limiting his weaknesses. His toughness is off the charts, though.

My best guess is the Patriots probably like Wilson more, but will target Lance if they decide to trade up. His game is very similar to Newton’s except he’s been better in the pocket when you compare the two at this point in their respective careers.

I would be surprised if any of them are available at 15. If none of them are available there, are the Pats going to go with Cam and Stid and draft one of the 2nd tier qb's or move up. If they are moving up, how high do they need to go to get their guy?

I agree with Kontra for the most part, not sure if Jones will be there at 15 though. I think the Patriots have done a great job setting up whomever they get for success, with a very strong team around them, hoping to minimize the need for amazing qb play.

Here’s how I have them rated...

1. Lawrence - No shot.

2. Wilson - If the Jets pass, we should should be on the phone with Atlanta about moving up to #4. I’m assuming the Dolphins will grab Chase.

3. Lance - The next trade-up candidate. Will probably have to trade up into the top 7 to get him. This is who I think the Pats will have their sights set on since I think even the Jets aren’t dumb enough to pass up on Wilson.

4. Jones - I’d be fine with him at 15 or lower with a trade down. Probably one of the few people who has him rated higher than...

5. Fields - I have a late first round grade on him. He will be long gone by then. His tape didn’t wow me. If anything, he just looked more like a product of OSU’s system limiting his weaknesses. His toughness is off the charts, though.

My best guess is the Patriots probably like Wilson more, but will target Lance if they decide to trade up. His game is very similar to Newton’s except he’s been better in the pocket when you compare the two at this point in their respective careers.

Thank you for saving me time so I don't have to write my first round scenario. Nice work.

Later in the draft: Mills and Mond are about the only two players I'd want, in that order (with the admission that I haven't watched everyone yet, and I may amend or add to the list). If we trade back and acquire an extra pick in the 60 - 90 range, then either could be in consideration.

Yes to Lance for a trade up, no to Mac Jones in first rd. where he will most likely end

Why do people rate Lance over Fields? Just curious...

I agree with Uptown, right above me. I am not a Mac Jones fan but will be perfectly fine taking him in the 2nd round if he drops for some reason. Weak armed QBs are not for the NFL.

I'm a big fan of Justin Fields, but I have come around on Trey Lance and would be perfectly fine if the Patriots took Lance after trading up -- even though Fields was still around for some reason. I see the #7 pick as the spot to trade up to but it might take more than that if you get leapfrogged by Atlanta at #8.

The biggest wild card and risk factor other than Lance (because Lance played lesser competition) is Zach Wilson's personality and his competition. BYU has always had guys with gaudy QB numbers because they just don't play good D in those lesser G5 conferences out west (I know they are indy but they play the same teams). As for his personality, does he connect with teammates who don't have the same cultural and class values? I wonder about that. I do.

Anyone who can turn around and hand it to Harris and get out of the way.

BB has been in the league many decades. Before many patsfans posters’ birth. Has he ever taken a first round QB ? I think he’ll go qb 3rd or 4th round.
Has BB ever spent this much money in Free Agency???

BB will do what is necessary to rebuild this team and not be embarrassed the way he was last year. There is no set formula...

Wilson is my choice but a ransom would be unbearable. Saying realistically Lance might be ideal fit. Of course he has some question marks and seems to be not ready to be a starter on day 1. However this kid has potential and with a help of a vet QB ( I am not sure Cam is the man ) he has a strong chance to be our franchise QB. Trade up to pick number 7 sounds reasonable because it is almost impossible he survives to 15th.
I am also ok with Mac Jones or Mills.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back