PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which QB do you want the Patriots to draft?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which QB do you want the Patriots to draft?

• Total voters
Williams & Daniels will be taken 1-2, no doubt. Of Maye-Penix-McCarthy-Nix, the one with the best arm and most experience is Penix, who's also maybe the most athletic and the most experienced. Everyone discounted him cause of the old knee injuries, but he's fully recovered from that. I'd try to trade down a few spots and take Penix.

Michael Penix Jr. AFTER the Pats trade their 3rd overall pick to the Vikings for MInnesota's #11 and #23 in 2024 and first round pick in 2025. Fix the offensive pieces where free agency wasn't an option with first round draft picks and draft Penix in the second round to get a younger QB in the system and properly develop him. Having Jacoby Brissett in the Quarterbacks room will help, as will a development plan with AVP and Mccartney help develop the former Heisman finalist.

Just reread “ For whom the bell tolls “ for the 3rd time …I’m definitely more of a Vonnegut guy. He speaks to my inner child …
you must be a john bradshaw guy as well.

Maye was my binky since it started to become clear the Pats would draft in the top 5.

He still is but I'm jumping on the Daniel's wagon now, so one of them will be available and I'm happy with the Pats taking one of them and developing.

The thing about Daniels is that he will be must see TV. People here got so excited when they got just a small taste of having a QB who Cho take off out of the pocket and make plays with Malik Cunningham, and Daniels actually plays like Randall Cunningham. We will have to wait and see who can become a franchise QB, but just having Daniels at QB will be a lot of fun to watch.

Strong chance Maye goes 2.

I think it’s completely unknown right now, and that’s even with Kelly letting it slip that Daniel’s is going on Washington. Either way, at least we won’t have to wait until midnight to see who the Patriots pick.

I can’t get off McCarthy he has the footwork and throwing ability.
Maye is a lottery ticket, Daniel’s scares me a ton, the frame and the fact he had a stacked wr corps.

McCarthy is the “ lottery ticket,” he’s all projection, little production. The other 3 have all sorts of tape and production to stand on. Even your take on him is about his mechanics, and not his college production. He is a winner, and that’s important, but he’s going to have to win shootouts against the best quarterbacks in the NFL when he gets there, and there is zero evidence that he can do that. If he ends up a Patriot I’ll be hoping he becomes great, but he has a ton of work to do to get there.

McCarthy is the “ lottery ticket,” he’s all projection, little production. The other 3 have all sorts of tape and production to stand on. Even your take on him is about his mechanics, and not his college production. He is a winner, and that’s important, but he’s going to have to win shootouts against the best quarterbacks in the NFL when he gets there, and there is zero evidence that he can do that. If he ends up a Patriot I’ll be hoping he becomes great, but he has a ton of work to do to get there.
I agree with the majority of what you said.
Only part I think mechanics and intangibles are just as if not more important to success than prior college production.

I agree with the majority of what you said.
Only part I think mechanics and intangibles are just as if not more important to success than prior college production.

Mechanics can be fixed, Josh Allen is the best example of this, he couldn’t hit the side of a barn twice in a row in college. Character is critical to the position. Quarterback is the one position in football where the character of your quarterback matters as much, or almost as much as your physical tools. But it’s not choir boy character that matters, it’s leadership ability, and that can come in many forms, as Roger Staubsch and Ken Stabker were as different in personal character as it gets, but both were great leaders, because they were able to get those around them to completely believe in them. Whereas guys like Ryan Leafvand Jeff George were never able to get those around them to believe in them. That’s why I don’t believe Zach Wilson is salvageable, despite his physical abilities he’s a frat boy with a 10 cent head, and his teammates don’t buy a word that comes out of his mouth.

I've changed my tune from the "trade down club" to - pick whoever is left at #3
If it's Maye - then he'll certainly sit the year and learn (but we might have the antidote to Josh Allen for the next 10+ years)
If it's Daniels - then he may start by mid-season, and we'll have a Lamar (but may have to deal with the missed games)

We simply have to swing, because probability says a 1st rd. QB works out ~40% of the time.
We blew the last one, so trying again is better odds than a coin flip to land a franchise QB

The two options, Maye and Daniels , both seem like they been over hyped in the lead up to the draft... Of the two, Daniels... But I think he's going to be taken off the board by Washington...

Is Maye good enough? Does he read defenses? Can he get the ball out quickly? His level of competition doesn't thrill me...

The other guys on the list? Basically know nothing about them... So I cannot answer in regards to them... I need to read a few more scouting reports on the draft sites before I can figure it out...

The two options, Maye and Daniels , both seem like they been over hyped in the lead up to the draft... Of the two, Daniels... But I think he's going to be taken off the board by Washington...

Is Maye good enough? Does he read defenses? Can he get the ball out quickly? His level of competition doesn't thrill me...

The other guys on the list? Basically know nothing about them... So I cannot answer in regards to them... I need to read a few more scouting reports on the draft sites before I can figure it out...
Before the season, it was Williams and Maye, with everyone else a distant 3rd.

Daniels was throwing to two 1st round WRs.

I’d still grab any of the three at pick 3. But that’s from small sample size. Gotta trust in AVP and McAdoo

The thing about Daniels is that he will be must see TV. People here got so excited when they got just a small taste of having a QB who Cho take off out of the pocket and make plays with Malik Cunningham, and Daniels actually plays like Randall Cunningham. We will have to wait and see who can become a franchise QB, but just having Daniels at QB will be a lot of fun to watch.
Getting to and more importantly, winning SB's is also fun to watch.

I've changed my tune from the "trade down club" to - pick whoever is left at #3
If it's Maye - then he'll certainly sit the year and learn (but we might have the antidote to Josh Allen for the next 10+ years)
If it's Daniels - then he may start by mid-season, and we'll have a Lamar (but may have to deal with the missed games)

We simply have to swing, because probability says a 1st rd. QB works out ~40% of the time.
We blew the last one, so trying again is better odds than a coin flip to land a franchise QB
If given a choice between the two, I'd take Maye.

Getting to and more importantly, winning SB's is also fun to watch.

Of course it is, that’s what really matters. My only point was that Daniels would be fun to watch, especially after the past few years, where once it got past 3rd and 6 you knew they were heading back to the bench.

Maye was my binky since it started to become clear the Pats would draft in the top 5.

He still is but I'm jumping on the Daniel's wagon now, so one of them will be available and I'm happy with the Pats taking one of them and developing.
Both are nice. Both have mechanical issues that need to be coached up. Both have huge, huge upside if they are fixed. I’ll take either at this point.

I can’t get off McCarthy he has the footwork and throwing ability.
Maye is a lottery ticket, Daniel’s scares me a ton, the frame and the fact he had a stacked wr corps.
If given a choice between Maye or Daniels, I'd take Maye. If given a choice between Daniels or McCarthy, I'd take McCarthy. And, Maye and McCarthy should sit and be coached and learn during their rookie seasons, while the rest of the talent on offense is built up during this draft and next off season's Free Agency and Draft. And both of them are more than young enough to sit a year and still will be young when they do start. Just my humble opinion.

It looks to me like if the patriots take a qb at number 3, that qb sits for a year. So evaluating what a qb looks like now is pretty useless.

The question is which qb has the most upside if they are allowed to spend a year working on technique and footwork and reading defenses.

In my mind, that Williams, maye, penix and McCarthy fit that mold perfectly and in that order.

Daniels is not in my top 15 draft board!

I like the qb from Tulane also. If we need a day three qb

Let’s be honest…none of us have a clue :rolleyes:

Hopefully the Pats are doing their due diligence but the reality is drafting a QB is a crapshoot.

Personally, I’d steer clear of Williams…too many red flags in terms of personality, character and the people who surround him.

McCarthy has never looked the part for me from what I saw from him at UM, although it seems his stock is rising. Hard to tell if that is just the usual pre draft hype BS that some players get or if there’s something substantial there..my eyes tell me “no”.

Penix is too much of an injury risk for me and he didn’t look like a quality NFL starting QB in the NCAA title game…but I admit I don’t know much about him.

I don’t know anything about NIx…

For me it comes down to Daniels or Maye…who do the Pats like more and which one will actually be available at #3?

Last edited:

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back