Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

When does Penix get drafted?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hear ya, and on the facilities I know the team sunk $$$ into upgrades in 2018. So when Gillette was built in '02 it was state of the art for that time early 2ks. 22 years later things will need to be upgraded again.

Yeah weather, traffic, taxes, comhes everywhere. This is why I mentioned we need to get the QB tonight, and with this defense we can become a contender again.
Haha, we seem to agree on a lot of things, but not that. I'm hoping they try to build the team from the outside in. Put together the talent on offense and then find the right guy to run it. Either way, this is going to be quite a ride tonight.

Haha, we seem to agree on a lot of things, but not that. I'm hoping they try to build the team from the outside in. Put together the talent on offense and then find the right guy to run it. Either way, this is going to be quite a ride tonight.
Haha.. oh we are both in agreement but in different ways.. I'll say this. What if we get tee Higgins or a Brandon Aiyuk today a draft day trade. Now all the other guys on offense slot perfect In thier roles as 2s and 3s. So pop, KB and KJ Osborne are the starters with Rham and Gibson in the backfield and Henry at TE. Not a bad collection of players at all. You can mark my post with this date and time on this statement: Gibson will be a revelation for us.. he's IMO the best FA pick up no one is talking about. 6'2, strong can run WR routes, catch out the backfield, block and hold his own.. he is a perfect compliment to rham and will be tremendous for the new QB especially on 3rd down where we have been putrid. Now here's so more optimism for ya.. the defense was top 5 last least and I believe top against the run or near it. You have judon, Godchaux, white and Jennings to set the edge stopping the run.. along with Barmore, Bentley ,tavia rushing the passer..

Dugger and peppers at safety and Gonzo locking up teams #1 WR.. at CB.. we aren't far off my friend getting the QB is 90% of the task at hand.

Haha.. oh we are both in agreement but in different ways.. I'll say this. What if we get tee Higgins or a Brandon Aiyuk today a draft day trade. Now all the other guys on offense slot perfect In thier roles as 2s and 3s. So pop, KB and KJ Osborne are the starters with Rham and Gibson in the backfield and Henry at TE. Not a bad collection of players at all. You can mark my post with this date and time on this statement: Gibson will be a revelation for us.. he's IMO the best FA pick up no one is talking about. 6'2, strong can run WR routes, catch out the backfield, block and hold his own.. he is a perfect compliment to rham and will be tremendous for the new QB especially on 3rd down where we have been putrid. Now here's so more optimism for ya.. the defense was top 5 last least and I believe top against the run or near it. You have judon, Godchaux, white and Jennings to set the edge stopping the run.. along with Barmore, Bentley ,tavia rushing the passer..

Dugger and peppers at safety and Gonzo locking up teams #1 WR.. at CB.. we aren't far off my friend getting the QB is 90% of the task at hand.
I don't know much about Gibson, so I'll have to take your word for it. It's been awhile since the Pats threw to guys out of the backfield on a regular basis. I like Tee Higgins and Aiyuk, and they would be an upgrade over anything the Pats have, but I don't know if I would call them true #1 guys. Both are players who have benefitted in a big way by playing in high power offenses with a lot of weapons. My biggest concern is the line. They're going to be doing alot of run-first playcalling under Van Pelt. If the line doesn't support that, the QB is going to be put in alot of 3rd and long situations. Not great for a guy like Maye who does by most accounts need a bit of time in the pocket to make his reads.

I don't want to say the sky is falling as I don't believe that. I'm more in the "wait and see camp."

I don't know much about Gibson, so I'll have to take your word for it. It's been awhile since the Pats threw to guys out of the backfield on a regular basis. I like Tee Higgins and Aiyuk, and they would be an upgrade over anything the Pats have, but I don't know if I would call them true #1 guys. Both are players who have benefitted in a big way by playing in high power offenses with a lot of weapons. My biggest concern is the line. They're going to be doing alot of run-first playcalling under Van Pelt. If the line doesn't support that, the QB is going to be put in alot of 3rd and long situations. Not great for a guy like Maye who does by most accounts need a bit of time in the pocket to make his reads.

I don't want to say the sky is falling as I don't believe that. I'm more in the "wait and see camp."
I get it. The line needs a LT and that's probably what's going to happen at #34 today if we don't trade or move around. Wolfe and Mayo said yesterday they still are going to weaponize the offense and I like that they publicly state it and not act like it's a pentagon secret like under the past regime.

If you get a chance go back and look at the game against Washington last season Gibson was making plays all over the field. They guys just phenomenal athlete. He's what the 2024 NFL is all about dynamic athletes. Brandon and tee would automatically be #1s in the patriots offense. Wich will be beneficial to them becuase we have a nice collection of complimentary player's. We sure don't have the game changer currently at WR. Based on Mayo's comments about maye.. Unless he shows he's ready in camp to be the day 1 starting QB I forsee Brissett starting. Personally I want to see maye start take his lumps as a rookie.

I also disagree with Phil perry from NBC sports Boston about the Patriots not being very good this season. I believe people are kicking them while they are down. This defense is disrespected and not given enough credit.

We now have a QB. Now go get him some weapons!

Cousins has every right to be pissed.

Cousins has every right to be pissed.
I can think of a few reasons why he shouldn’t… well, actually a hundred million reasons.

Back to the original question, I'm going to say he won't get past pick #8. We'll have to jump back up to 6 or 7 to get him.

If he doesn't come back from his injury completely, he's got no right to be pissed.
Cousins has more career earnings than probably anyone in history and has never shown loyalty to any team. It's always just about the dollars to him, so he has nothing to be mad about. If I were an Atlanta fan, though, I'd be pissed that the management doesn't know what the hell they're doing, cause Penix was always going to be available at 8, and at 24 years old he's ready to start right away. Making him wait 2 years is a waste, and they can't trade Cousins for 2 years without incurring a huge cap hit.

Back to the original question, I'm going to say he won't get past pick #8. We'll have to jump back up to 6 or 7 to get him.
I thought he would go higher than McCarthy, who got inflated during draft season. I'm intrigued by Nix and Payton. That could be a really good situation.

The pick will look great if Cousins gets hurt, Penix comes in and they have a top tier QB for the foreseeable future. Maybe win a SB or two.

Worst case scenario, and what I think will happen, is that Cousins will start every game. Will be his usual "Good enough" self to maybe get to the postseason for a few one and done. Or a first round win before losing. Then, you've wasted Penix's rookie contract.

NFL memes has a funny video where it sure looks like the GM is doing some fast talking to explain to a somewhat-agitated Arthur Blank why he made the pick he did.

Granted that is just reading things that may not be there but still….

Congratulations to @ralmat55 @Steve102 and @thecore762 for their correct, very much in the minority prediction of Penix in the Top 10.

Though I am sure none had him going to Atlanta.

Congratulations to @ralmat55 @Steve102 and @thecore762 for their correct, very much in the minority prediction of Penix in the Top 10.

Though I am sure none had him going to Atlanta.
Yup, it is difficult to understand signing Cousins for $180M ($100M guaranteed) is the right home for one of the two QB's who are ready to play.

In any case, congrats to folks, I though 10-12, but not past 12 and DEN (they chose Nix).

Falcons picking Penix at 8 when they've just paid Cousins a fortune tells me that franchise still hasn't recovered from 28-3. If the pats had been in their position and made this exact same move then this forum would have melted by now.

Falcons picking Penix at 8 when they've just paid Cousins a fortune tells me that franchise still hasn't recovered from 28-3. If the pats had been in their position and made this exact same move then this forum would have melted by now.
Even if this is a Favre and Rogers situation, the term and guarantees on the Cousins deal makes it seem ridiculous to spend a first round pick on another QB. There is some speculation that Cousins injury is worse that the team thought. Either way, the team is not well run.

I just don't understand what Atlanta is thinking. Seriously, what's the plan here?

People are talking about how they should have drafted Odunze and while that may certainly be true, I cannot believe they passed on Bowers. It may have been a little bit of a reach, but it wouldn't hurt to take a Bulldog and maybe generate a little excitement with a talented TE who is already a local hero.

Even if this is a Favre and Rogers situation, the term and guarantees on the Cousins deal makes it seem ridiculous to spend a first round pick on another QB. There is some speculation that Cousins injury is worse that the team thought. Either way, the team is not well run.
They have no right to fall back on Cousins' injury status to justify this move. If there was any question regarding his health, you don't sign him.

And to think this is the executive management group that was afraid to sign Belichick because they were afraid he would endanger their jobs. Well they did a pretty darn good job of endangering their own jobs last night.

They have no right to fall back on Cousins' injury status to justify this move. If there was any question regarding his health, you don't sign him.

And to think this is the executive management group that was afraid to sign Belichick because they were afraid he would endanger their jobs. Well they did a pretty darn good job of endangering their own jobs last night.
If the injury is really the driver then Atlanta didn't properly assess the situation or Cousins misrepresented the injury. Both scenarios seem preposterous. I wish I was watching MacAfee when they asked BB to comment on the Penix pick. He is probably glad that he avoided the clown show in Atlanta.

Atlanta is #11 tonight. Their draft board right now:

1) Spencer Rattler
2) Jordan Travis
3) Joe Milton

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes