PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"When the enemy is making a false movement, we must take good care not to interrupt him"

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Dog

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Napolean, from History of Europe: From the Commencemnt of the French Revolution to the Restoration of the Bourbons in M.DCCC.XV by Archibald Alison (1836, v. 5, p. 476 at FRENCH REVOLUTION ).

This is a famous quote (in various formulations) which Belichick, as a history buff, likely knew when he noted that something didn't look right.

Napolean, from History of Europe: From the Commencemnt of the French Revolution to the Restoration of the Bourbons in M.DCCC.XV by Archibald Alison (1836, v. 5, p. 476 at FRENCH REVOLUTION ).

This is a famous quote (in various formulations) which Belichick, as a history buff, likely knew when he noted that something didn't look right.
My guess was Lee during any one of a dozen battles.....

rhino chicken.jpg

health-beauty-vet-veterinarian-veterinary_surgeon-doctor-virus-mgdn1167_low.jpg

The Dude Abides...

My guess was Lee during any one of a dozen battles.....
The sentiment has been applied to the Civil War, e.g.
General Meade, however took the matter very seriously; thought I should take all the cavalry and capture Stuart; that the government would expect him to do so. I assured him that Lee was of more importance to us than Stuart; the latter was in a false position and useless to Lee, and that it was a maxim in war never to interfere with the enemy when he was making a false move.

From "The Campaign of Gettysburg" by Major General Alfred Pleasonton, in The Annals of the War: Written By Leading Participants North and South (The Times Publishing Company, Philadelphia 1879, p. 453 at The Annals of the War Written by Leading Participants North and South )

So Superbowl 49?
Yes, you're correct. Belichick said "just go goal line" instead of calling a time out at the end of SB LIX because, as he said later, "something just didn't look right".

The Seahawks were confused, uncertain, and making "false movements" which is why Belichick, applying Napolean's maxim, didn't call for a timeout.

Belichick is an expert in military history, and is known for citing historical events in his team meetings; it is highly likely Belichick would have known of Napolean's statement.

Last edited:

That's cool and all but what specifically is this regarding?

This is usually the kind of random thought I'll have at 3am when I haven't slept in days. Which makes it more terrifying that it seems to have occurred at 2:30 in the afternoon...

I think Sun Tzu may have said something like that a bit before Napoleon.

I prefer this version: "When the other guy is shooting himself in the foot, just stand back and get out of the way."

It also reminds me of all the lousy HCs & GMs that the other AFCE teams continue to hire, then fire, then hire..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News