PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's the best overall strategy for this year's Draft.

Pioli says it out loud - the Pats know the draft is a crap shoot and they are going to be wrong a lot so get as many picks as possible - trade down. If the Pats have a chance to pick up a second pick in the 2nd or 3rd, I think they will trade down.
I think it's a question if there's some player that a team really values left at that point. If not, the Pats might not get the value for the trade and have to pick.

Please BB do not trade down and grab with pick 14th best available CB ( Witherspoon or Gonzalez) or OT ( Jones or Johnson). If not ,DE would be welcomed.
IMO avoid any WRs and TEs in round one.

Pioli says it out loud - the Pats know the draft is a crap shoot and they are going to be wrong a lot so get as many picks as possible - trade down. If the Pats have a chance to pick up a second pick in the 2nd or 3rd, I think they will trade down.
They said trade back, but when Pioli expanded on it, he also started talking about trading into next year. That was interesting to me. But it was nice to hear Pioli explicitly say out loud what everyone has realized for years, that they try to accumulate as many picks as possible because they know they’re going to be wrong.

Please BB do not trade down and grab with pick 14th best available CB ( Witherspoon or Gonzalez) or OT ( Jones or Johnson). If not, DE would be welcomed.
But if all 4 of them are already gone...?

IMO avoid any WRs and TEs in round one.
Yep, and Safeties, RBs, OGs, 3-tech DTs...And QBs too.

But if all 4 of them are already gone...?

Yep, and Safeties, RBs, OGs, 3-tech DTs...And QBs too.
If all of them are gone I would personally consider Van Ness/ Nolan Smith pick.

If all of them are gone I would personally consider Van Ness/ Nolan Smith pick.

I can understand; I've been asking for a young DE here with both size & juice for quite awhile now... George Karlaftis would've been nice last year...

They said trade back, but when Pioli expanded on it, he also started talking about trading into next year. That was interesting to me. But it was nice to hear Pioli explicitly say out loud what everyone has realized for years, that they try to accumulate as many picks as possible because they know they’re going to be wrong.

But they already have more picks than can fit on the team. Plus the one UDFA that always makes the team.

This year they have a hidden advantage over the rest of the teams - O'Brien's familiarity with the college players plus their coaching stint at the Senior Bowl. That adds to the chances of finding some hidden diamonds and also avoiding the lumps of coal that might look like diamonds.

But they already have more picks than can fit on the team. Plus the one UDFA that always makes the team.

This year they have a hidden advantage over the rest of the teams - O'Brien's familiarity with the college players plus their coaching stint at the Senior Bowl. That adds to the chances of finding some hidden diamonds and also avoiding the lumps of coal that might look like diamonds.
Perhaps the strategy should be to trade down in the first assuming the top 2 OT s and cb 's are gone pick up a 2. Then use t three 4th and 4 sixth's to move up in the 5th or back into the 3rd an end up with 8 picks in the end a much more manageable number

Perhaps the strategy should be to trade down in the first assuming the top 2 OT s and cb 's are gone pick up a 2. Then use t three 4th and 4 sixth's to move up in the 5th or back into the 3rd an end up with 8 picks in the end a much more manageable number

That makes a lot of sense. Ten picks seems to be the upper limit of what they make. Here's historical data (thanks ChatGTP!):

• 2022: 10 picks (all used)
  • 2021: 9 picks (all used)
  • 2020: 10 picks (9 used)
  • 2019: 10 picks (8 used)
  • 2018: 9 picks (8 used)
  • 2017: 4 picks (3 used)
  • 2016: 9 picks (all used)
  • 2015: 11 picks (10 used)
  • 2014: 9 picks (all used)
  • 2013: 7 picks (all used)

That makes a lot of sense. Ten picks seems to be the upper limit of what they make. Here's historical data (thanks ChatGTP!):

• 2022: 10 picks (all used)
  • 2021: 9 picks (all used)
  • 2020: 10 picks (9 used)
  • 2019: 10 picks (8 used)
  • 2018: 9 picks (8 used)
  • 2017: 4 picks (3 used)
  • 2016: 9 picks (all used)
  • 2015: 11 picks (10 used)
  • 2014: 9 picks (all used)
  • 2013: 7 picks (all used)
The most picks the Pats have ever made under Belichick is 12, in back-to-back years, 2009 and 2010. Got some major home runs (Chung, Vollmer, Edelman, McCourty, Gronk, I’ll leave Hernandez as debatable….) and also a number of duds (Ron Brace, Tyrone McKenzie, Rich Ohrnberger, Jermaine Cunningham, Taylor Price) and many in between. But having the extra picks definitely helped offset the misses there.

I would be completely shocked if the Patriots drafted Bijan Robinson, even though he projects to be a generational RB talent.

More likely, we trade down and draft another Guard as thousands of televisions get destroyed by disgusted Patriots fans. :haha:

The best actual strategy would be, ask BB what his gut instinct is, then talk to the scouts who actually watched the players all year long and then do the opposite of what BB wants to do and follow the scouts advice.

I can see them moving into the low 20's and picking up a 2nd or a 3rd in the process.

In my ideal draft we can grab one of the top two te's or kancey or m. Smith in the first an get a solid ot and j Brent's in the second

Nobody is complaining about Gonzalez and an extra 4th. Not even a hint of a whine.

They now have 4 picks in 4th round - I assume they will cash some of them in to move up in the 2nd or to add another 3rd rounder.

With Josh Allen, Tua/Hill/Waddle and probably Rodgers gotta think about a CB at the top of a list as much as there is a need for a WR/OT the offense will not be able to keep up with these good and improved offenses.. moving down makes sense as long as we do not move below #20..
BB & I think a like.. or so I say.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back