PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's going well right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Lombardi saying that the Pats aren't playing well right now so he's not buying them:

Mike Lombardi Not Buying Patriots In Playoffs Citing Their ‘Significant Issues’

I'd like to discuss the things that ARE going well for the Pats right now. In my mind here are some:

- The running game. The last five weeks they've run for 821 yards (164.2 per game).

- The defense. Have held 4 of the last 5 opponents (and 6 of the last 8) to 17 points or fewer. Last 8 weeks: 17.9 points allowed per game.

- Home field. 7-0 this season at home. If they win vs. the Jets, it'll be 8-0 at home, securing them a first round bye and a home game in the divisional round.

- Pass defense. Last 8 weeks, haven't given up more than 287 yards passing (234.6 per game). And that's including facing Rodgers (250 yds), Cousins and his great WRs (183 yds), and Roethlisberger (218 yds). Against those three explosive pass offenses, the Pats gave up 17, 10, and 17 points (14.7 per game).

- The secondary. Obviously related to the prior point, but more specifically, the secondary has been playing great. Gilmore has had an all-pro level season, and JC Jackson is one of the highest rated corners in the league this year, as incredible as it sounds.

The team has plenty of bright spots. If these positives were things an opposing team was doing well, we'd rightly be concerned about facing them, especially if the Pats were going to their place. Playing a team that is great at home, with a really good running game and offensive line, that has a great pass defense and lockdown corners...that's a team that would rightly worry us to play. Well, right now, that's the Patriots. For all the trouble this team has had this year, these are still things going very well for them.

And they still have the greatest coach and QB of all time on top of all this.

Health.

They're healthy - well, except if Brady really does have a limiting injury. In fact, I don't remember seeing many Patriot teams going into the playoffs with so few important pieces on IR.

Lombardi saying that the Pats aren't playing well right now so he's not buying them:

Mike Lombardi Not Buying Patriots In Playoffs Citing Their ‘Significant Issues’

I'd like to discuss the things that ARE going well for the Pats right now. In my mind here are some:

- The running game. The last five weeks they've run for 821 yards (164.2 per game).

- The defense. Have held 4 of the last 5 opponents (and 6 of the last 8) to 17 points or fewer. Last 8 weeks: 17.9 points allowed per game.

- Home field. 7-0 this season at home. If they win vs. the Jets, it'll be 8-0 at home, securing them a first round bye and a home game in the divisional round.

- Pass defense. Last 8 weeks, haven't given up more than 287 yards passing (234.6 per game). And that's including facing Rodgers (250 yds), Cousins and his great WRs (183 yds), and Roethlisberger (218 yds). Against those three explosive pass offenses, the Pats gave up 17, 10, and 17 points (14.7 per game).

- The secondary. Obviously related to the prior point, but more specifically, the secondary has been playing great. Gilmore has had an all-pro level season, and JC Jackson is one of the highest rated corners in the league this year, as incredible as it sounds.

The team has plenty of bright spots. If these positives were things an opposing team was doing well, we'd rightly be concerned about facing them, especially if the Pats were going to their place. Playing a team that is great at home, with a really good running game and offensive line, that has a great pass defense and lockdown corners...that's a team that would rightly worry us to play. Well, right now, that's the Patriots. For all the trouble this team has had this year, these are still things going very well for them.

And they still have the greatest coach and QB of all time on top of all this.
Preach on!

Sony is getting in a groove.
Burkhead is playing and playing well.
JC Jackson is s surprise
White is solid as ever
Gilmore is a stud
Game planning on D good.
Slater always near the ball.
Patterson keeps making positive plays and could save the Pats bacon which is a shocker.
Flowers is solid

This isn’t necessarily “going right” but I like the quiet confidence they’ve exuded recently in press conferences and the like. They keep saying they feel good going forward and know what the problems are and they’re fixable.

Haven’t really heard them talk like that in past years. Call me naive but it makes me feel good.

To continue the theme:

• The Patriots play the most man coverage defense in the NFL, & they play it well (top 10 in opponent passer rating & comp. pct.)
  • The Patriots have the #1 3rd down defense in the NFL (25%) since JC Jackson was inserted as the starting CB opposite Gilmore against Minnesota.

While the team is near the bottom in sacks, they can bring the heat on 3rd down due to their underrated sub package personnel.

If the run defense can be just ok, the defense has the potential to play great in the playoffs. I really think the pass defense is overlooked this year because they’ve been negated by a historically bad run defense in front of them in some of these losses. Neutralizing the Steelers WR duo on their homefield would have been talked about more in victory.

I’m optimistic because the defense is really good at what you need to be really good at in today’s NFL. I’m less than optimistic at a potential road AFC title & the offensive skill positions.

I just moved to Portugal, so I don't know anyone here... Guess Im stuck with Netflix on another friday night. The girl at the local gym who I tried to have my shot at has a bf, so that's a bummer... Plus I lost a poker tournmet on a 8% river card and, later a 31% river card

So nothing is going well, very rude of you to ask that ivan

Last edited:
I would add that, despite a few bad looking drops, Edelman is looking better as the year goes on. The play he made in Buffalo, both from an athletic and an awareness standpoint, felt like vintage Edelman to me.

Defense has played well...at home. Thing that keeps me from buying into the defense is our overall run d and the fact that the defense to this point hasnt traveled well away from Gillette.

I just moved to Portugal, so I don't know anyone here... Guess Im stuck with Netflix on another friday night. The girl at the local gym who I tried to have my shot at has a bf, so that's a bummer... Plus I lost a poker tournmet on a 8% river card and, later a 31% river card

So nothing is going well, very rude of you to ask that ivan

Go out and meet people.
Get away from your Netflix.
Stop playing poker.

Problems solved.

Defense has played well...at home. Thing that keeps me from buying into the defense is our overall run d and the fact that the defense to this point hasnt traveled well away from Gillette.

Yes, on the road it hasn't been too good. But this is about what's going WELL, so let's just keep it at that. There's plenty to talk about what's NOT going well. :)

Yes, on the road it hasn't been too good. But this is about what's going WELL, so let's just keep it at that. There's plenty to talk about what's NOT going well. :)

My bad. Not my intent to highjack the thread into a different direction. Carry on with the sunshine and rainbows.

Go out and meet people.
Get away from your Netflix.
Stop playing poker.

Problems solved.
Oh if only was this simple

it goes deep my man. too deep :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes