PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would you trade for Scifres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSYLICIOUS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Punter for SD. With all the close games we play I honestly would pony up a 4th, maybe even a 3rd for him. The guy is a STUD. In my eyes, without him the Chargers would not have won that game or maybe even come close. How many PUNTERS have had that kind of impact in a playoff game? Not just the times he pinned the Colts inside their own 10, but how about all the 3 and outs by SD where they punted from inside their own 30 and the Colts end up starting around their own 20 or inside? He is truly a rare case at this position.

Re: What would you trade for Scifers?

Punter for SD. With all the close games we play I honestly would pony up a 4th, maybe even a 3rd for him. The guy is a STUD. In my eyes, without him the Chargers would not have won that game or maybe even come close. How many PUNTERS have had that kind of impact in a playoff game? Not just the times he pinned the Colts inside their own 10, but how about all the 3 and outs by SD where they punted from inside their own 30 and the Colts end up starting around their own 20 or inside? He is truly a rare case at this position.

Somehow, I don't think BB woke up in the summer of 2007 and said, "Hey, I'll sign a punter that sucks!" Obviously, there is some reason that Hanson is still on the team--although I'll admit I have no earthly idea what that reason is. It's not like there weren't better punters available in FA or the draft.

Somehow, I don't think BB woke up in the summer of 2007 and said, "Hey, I'll sign a punter that sucks!" Obviously, there is some reason that Hanson is still on the team--although I'll admit I have no earthly idea what that reason is. It's not like there weren't better punters available in FA or the draft.

I would agree, he didn't seek out to have a bad punter.

But he had choices. My guess is his thinking was, "I can use my picks and $$$ to get a better punter or I can use my picks and $$$ to get Welker and Moss and rarely punt."

Well, I really have nothing against Hanson and he's made some great plays for us. But watching last night, Scifers took that game over! I am sure of it SD would have lost without him putting the Colts back behind their 25 even when SD's offense couldn't get anything going, not to mention the last punt pinning Indy at their 2. In my eyes the difference he'd make in field position battles is worth the price.

Of course with an offense like ours (especially w/ Brady back), it may not show much during the season. But when we hit the playoffs and have games like we did last year vs. SD and NYG, it will be worth the price.

What makes you think they are looking to trade him?

My left nut

What makes you think they are looking to trade him?

I didn't say they were, and I don't expect them to either. Just thought it's an interesting discussion what a stud punter would be worth to us i.e. the ultimate difference he would make here.

He is the only punter in the NFL I would call a game changer, and he showed it yesterday. All others pale by comparison.

Scifres is signed until 2011, why would they want to trade him?? It would benefit us, but how would it benefit them??

Scifres is an insanely good punter. One of the best I've ever seen.

kind of makes you think why he's never made the pro bowl huh?

he learned from the Aussie, Darren Bennett, name ring a bell? He taught Scrifes the "knuckle punt". That's why the ball always flops back. Scrifes said it took about 4 years to perfect it, right around the time Bennett retired.

As for trading Scrifes, over my dead body. I might consider it for a couple 1sts. ;)

He is the only punter in the NFL I would call a game changer, and he showed it yesterday. All others pale by comparison.

Shane Lechler would be a game changer if he, you know, played for an actual team instead of the Raiders. :)

I didn't say they were, and I don't expect them to either. Just thought it's an interesting discussion what a stud punter would be worth to us i.e. the ultimate difference he would make here.

I think the Pats would have to give up at least a third-rounder. Not that BB wouldn't be willing to try anything to improve the team, but solid punters are easier to come by than regular contributors. While NE may not have (or get) a Scifres-like punter, neither will most other teams.

He's got Malone on the PS, butI'd be surprised if BB doesn't stick with Hanson.

BB would never give up something for a kicker. That's just not a position that you need to put money into or give up picks for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe