PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Tebow was doing after the Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bigotry on this board is alarming, and, ironically, un-patriotic.

It's hardly bigotry. What does being wary of the worship of the military have to do with being un-patriotic?

You need to exmanine the thinness of your skin.

The bigotry on this board is alarming, and, ironically, un-patriotic.

This is exactly the problem with all the rhetoric surrounding Tebowmania.

Say you're like me, and you quietly find Tim Tebow annoying, but are perfectly willing to keep that opinion to yourself. All around you, for weeks, all you hear are people talking about what a great guy he is, along with questions like, "How could anyone dislike this guy? What kind of jerk has a problem with a good Christian man who gives to charities like Tim Tebow?"

So they keep hammering this message home, and moreover they keep expecting that message to be welcomed uncontroversially, despite the fact that one of the big reasons you watch football in the first place is because it's a safe haven away from the divisive politics in this country.

Then, when you raise your hand and say, "Hey, I actually find this guy annoying, and I don't think that makes me a jerk," all of the sudden you're being called a bigot.

I don't find Tebow annoying because I'm an atheist (which, as one poster pointed out, makes me automatically destined for hell, in Tebow's view). I just think one's spirituality, particularly in a diverse country where everyone is expected to respect and tolerate each others' views, should be a private thing. If your religion is a truly source of strength for you, you shouldn't need to share your intimate beliefs with strangers every chance you get. In Tebow's case, he does this with millions of strangers each and every week.

That doesn't make him a bad person -- on the contrary, to me, it just makes him a slightly insecure kid who just doesn't know any better yet. When he goes into that routine about thanking his Lord and Savior, I just feel kind of embarrassed for him, and then also faintly irritated when I stop to consider what Tebow's religion says about people like me. I don't hate him, it's just that the whole thing feels a little bit gross. But if you're not allowed to feel this way about Tebow's proselytizing without being called a bigot, that sucks and is really unfair.

Last edited:
This is exactly the problem with all the rhetoric surrounding Tebowmania.

Say you're like me, and you quietly find Tim Tebow annoying, but are perfectly willing to keep that opinion to yourself. All around you, for weeks, all you hear are people talking about what a great guy he is, along with questions like, "How could anyone dislike this guy? What kind of jerk has a problem with a good Christian man who gives to charities like Tim Tebow?"

So they keep hammering this message home, and moreover they keep expecting that message to be welcomed uncontroversially, despite the fact that one of the big reasons you watch football in the first place is because it's a safe haven away from the divisive politics in this country.

Then, when you raise your hand and say, "Hey, I actually find this guy annoying, and I don't think that makes me a jerk," all of the sudden you're being called a bigot.

I don't find Tebow annoying because I'm an atheist (which, as one poster pointed out, makes me automatically destined for hell, in Tebow's view). I just think one's spirituality, particularly in a diverse country where everyone is expected to respect and tolerate each others' views, should be a private thing. If your religion is a truly source of strength for you, you shouldn't need to share your intimate beliefs with strangers every chance you get. In Tebow's case, he does this with millions of strangers each and every week.

That doesn't make him a bad person -- on the contrary, to me, it just makes him a slightly insecure kid who just doesn't know any better yet. When he goes into that routine about thanking his Lord and Savior, I just feel kind of embarrassed for him, and then also faintly irritated when I stop to consider what Tebow's religion says about people like me. I don't hate him, it's just that the whole thing feels a little bit gross. But if you're not allowed to feel this way about Tebow's proselytizing without being called a bigot, that sucks and is really unfair.

It's the group mind think that "You're either with us or against "BS where everybody has to think and act the same or be labeled as a traitor, bigot....etc or whatever it is depending on the situation. It's a cheap political trick that has permeated all of society on every level no matter what side of the fence you're on. Look how little tolerance there is for any opposing views on this board.

In a country that was founded on the idea of individual freedoms, it's amazing how little tolerance there is for opposing views.

And then there's the childlike simplicity of the "Why do you hate?" question. "I don't understand why people hate Tim Tebow"

... *every* report I've ever read, every comment made by someone that knows Tebow has said - without exception - that Tebow is the genuine article. I've never seen one comment by a person that actually knows him that has suggested otherwise. So I'm left with the sense that, yeah, he's authentic.

Second, everyone - fans and critics alike - needs to understand that Tebow is going to fail in sports, and he is going to make some big mistakes in life. It's inevitable. Everyone sins (to use language Tebow would be comfortable with). No exceptions. Those that love Tebow have to be prepared for the time when he violates his own standards. Be ready for that terribly disappointing moment. It's coming. Be prepared for that disappointment.

:confused: You're suggesting that he's going to fail his faith and morality. I very highly doubt that. He might fail as a quarterback.

:confused: You're suggesting that he's going to fail his faith and morality. I very highly doubt that. He might fail as a quarterback.

Here's what I mean. Christianity teaches several things (relevant to this issue):

- All people - whether Christian or not-Christian - are sinful and will do wrong things.

- The Christian, of course, tries to live out the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles as best he can.

Now, what this means is that Tim Tebow, being a devout Christian, is doing his level best (so far as I can tell) to live out the Christian faith. It would appear that he's doing a pretty good job at that. But it also means that Tim Tebow, because of that first point, is going to sin. It's a 100% certainty. He might not have a colossal failure like going on a murder spree. But he *will* have a failure somewhere along the line. I bet, if you could ask him, he'd tell you that he sins every day.

I hope that whatever sins he commits end up being relatively minor. But it's very possible that it will be something that his critics will jump on and say, "See! He's nothing but a hypocrite!" When in reality, all he is is perfectly human and normal.

So is that "failing his faith and morality"? In a sense, yes. But in a sense, it's exactly what Christianity says we should expect of every person. And what I'm trying to say is that just because a person who is a devout Christian sins (and sins spectacularly, in some cases), it wouldn't make that person a "hypocrite". And it's a gentle warning to those what would want to put Tebow up on some sort of pedestal.

Does that make sense?

Here's what I mean. Christianity teaches several things (relevant to this issue):

- All people - whether Christian or not-Christian - are sinful and will do wrong things.

- The Christian, of course, tries to live out the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles as best he can.

Now, what this means is that Tim Tebow, being a devout Christian, is doing his level best (so far as I can tell) to live out the Christian faith. It would appear that he's doing a pretty good job at that. But it also means that Tim Tebow, because of that first point, is going to sin. It's a 100% certainty. He might not have a colossal failure like going on a murder spree. But he *will* have a failure somewhere along the line. I bet, if you could ask him, he'd tell you that he sins every day.

I hope that whatever sins he commits end up being relatively minor. But it's very possible that it will be something that his critics will jump on and say, "See! He's nothing but a hypocrite!" When in reality, all he is is perfectly human and normal.

So is that "failing his faith and morality"? In a sense, yes. But in a sense, it's exactly what Christianity says we should expect of every person. And what I'm trying to say is that just because a person who is a devout Christian sins (and sins spectacularly, in some cases), it wouldn't make that person a "hypocrite". And it's a gentle warning to those what would want to put Tebow up on some sort of pedestal.

Does that make sense?

Yes, yes, I know what Christianity is all about. Your initial post suggested that he's going to fail his faith/morality in a publicly significant way and that's what I'm doubting.

Yes, yes, I know what Christianity is all about. Your initial post suggested that he's going to fail his faith/morality in a publicly significant way and that's what I'm doubting.

Yeah, I don't know if it will be in a "public" way...whatever that means. I mean, I know guys like David Robinson and AC Green managed to succeed in the area of abstinence, but there have to be 50 million women in the US that would love to get in bed with Tebow. I know it's possible, but if he manages to turn away thousands upon thousands upon thousands of hot women and wait until he's married to have sex, it'll be pretty amazing. I'm rooting for him, but that's a pretty tall order. Most guys that achieve that don't have the abundance of appealing opportunity like Tebow must have...resisting that kind of temptation, given the opportunity, cannot be easy.

So if he fails in that area is it "public"? Since he's a public figure, yeah, I guess it could be considered that.

EDIT: Let me be clear: I'm not suggesting he's definitely going to fail in this particular area. It's just an example.

Last edited:
Brady vs. Tebow, as a QB - Brady.

As a humanitary or role model, I will take the guy who didn't dump his pregnant girlfriend.

You're intimately aware of the full circumstances enough to make that Judgement on someone.

How very very unchristian.

As soon as I saw him walk over to carter and give him a pat on the helmet while he was down and give him a few words it made me realize this an excellent young man. He may not have the god like arm (;)) of Brady but regardless of his actions on the field he seems like a genuinely good person.

I had a slightly different response to that. When I saw it I thought "I guarantee you that he doesn't do this for every player who gets hurt on the other team throughout the season. But this game was on national television, so he did it. I have no way to prove that, but it crossed my mind. I think Tebow seems like a terrific person, but let's not kid ourselves. He plays into the media's portrayal of him, even if just a little bit. He walks the walk, sure, and that is amazing in itself. But he does talk too much. I agree with who said "what if an athiest talked about how there is no God" before each interview? Would it be ok because "well that's how he has always been?"

My take on the Tebow situation is that he seems like a very good person. But I could do without his talking about it so much. It just seems so in your face. And maybe that's his fault, maybe it's the media's fault, or maybe it's both. Who knows. Also, I'm tired of the media hyping Tebow up as this great QB and giving him so much credit for the Broncos winning games. To me, he's not a very good passer and they have been winning due to an improved defense and great running game. Add in the fact that they had not really beat any good teams, and to me Tebow has been vastly over rated as a passing QB.

The interesting question to me is why so many people give a flying crap about whether others like or admire Tebow. Why are people proselytizing for him? Who cares, go away, bring it to a Broncos message board. Get over it, some people are sick of him, or find him annoying, and if you don't understand why then you are an idiot. Move on. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Do any of us really know what any of these guys are really like? Admiring their off-the-field deeds is fine. But to assume that those deeds are genuinely representative of the kind of persons they actually are is entering dangerous territory. I'm old enough to have been "burned" countless times for blurring the lines between admiring athletes' on-field/on-court accomplishments and admiring them as human beings. I "think" that Tebow and Brady are good people, but I don't know that.

Do any of us really know what any of these guys are really like? Admiring their off-the-field deeds is fine. But to assume that those deeds are genuinely representative of the kind of persons they actually are is entering dangerous territory. I'm old enough to have been "burned" countless times for blurring the lines between admiring athletes' on-field/on-court accomplishments and admiring them as human beings. I "think" that Tebow and Brady are good people, but I don't know that.

I'll tell you this--I couldn't care less. Most of these guys are basically idiots with nary an interesting thing to say. I just want the Patriots to win as much as possible, I don't care what kind of person Tom Brady is, or Bill Belichick, or Terrell Suggs, or anybody else who is not an active participant in my life.

As a humanitary or role model, I will take the guy who didn't dump his pregnant girlfriend.

you're looking at this in a very limited vacuum...how do you or anyone else for that matter ,know what Tebow is going to do as time goes by? One could have easily said the exact same thing about Jimmy Swaggert....until he was caught with his pants down paying the world's ugliest hooker while cheating on his wife and humiliating his entire family...this from a man who is even MORE in your face with his religious beliefs than Tim Tebow...the same vicious retorts by the far right wing Christian nutter parade were mouthed about any criticism of Jim Bakker of PTL infamy...right up until he went to federal prison....people split up for whatever reason EVERY DAY in this country...for you to cast aspersions on Brady and suggest obliquely that he is a horrible parent is disingenuous at best and downright viciously libelous at worst.

pandering to the military? are you kidding me? they should have a red carpet rolled out for them at every game they attend. thats the least we could do. your lefty view of the world is showing.

I am a 12 year veteran of the Army Reserve and I was always uncomfortable when people approached me when I was in uniform to thank me or when I got preferential treatment because of my service. I didn't serve for any reasons other than the honor of serving the nation, I respect and love, and to repay the debt I felt I owed to the generations that served before me so I could have a comfortable life.

I can't speak for all service members but most I know feel the same way. We just wanted to serve and then return to our families and lives without fanfare.

There are legitimate heroes in the Armed Forces, but just serving doesn't make you one. There are also heroes that are accountants, and construction workers who have done more to help others than many service members. Some service members I know served for no other reason than the opportunity to be a government sanctioned bully. That is what led me to leave the Army.

Back to Tebow, he is by all accounts an earnest and kind man, that doesn't make him a hero. That makes him like many other people, just better publicized.

As soon as I saw him walk over to carter and give him a pat on the helmet while he was down and give him a few words it made me realize this an excellent young man. He may not have the god like arm (;)) of Brady but regardless of his actions on the field he seems like a genuinely good person.

Tim Tebow is an especially good person when he is running 29 yards backwards to avoid a sack and then lets the Patriots sack him anyway.

Tim tebow is just an easy target. The baseball version of tebow without any question Albert Pujols and he's the most popular player in baseball.

Big Al does the same exact thing tebow does, but he doesn't get the hate tebow gets because He's a great player. Tebow and Albert are both shown giving thanks after every score...Ray lewis also prays but people never bring it up because they respect him.

This is all a part of the espn/sports media brainwash that has been dominating the past decade.
They convinced 85% of the sports world that the patriots dynasty is tainted
They convinced everyone that lebron james is worst person to ever live just because he signed with a new team on tv
They convinced everyone that tom brady is the softest quarterback in the league and needs to protected by refs

And now they've done the same thing for a player who they know isn't that good yet, but they build him up like he can't lose/

I understand your perspective, and I daresay I favor it. Winning 3, or 4, or 50 Super Bowls is a laudable achievement for a player, as a player.

However, such accomplishments have nothing to do with a player (or head coach) as a human being. If a specific head coach commits adultery, and a specific quarterback fathers a bastard child or two, they'll have to live with themselves, and be judged by those around them, and, if you're religious, by a higher power.

No MVP award or Super Bowl ring(s), or football accomplishment of any kind will ever change that.

Last edited:

Ok, so he's supposed to stay with her forever even if they fight like cats and dogs? Is that a good environment to raise a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes