PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Netflix - Swamp Kings (Feat. Brandon Spikes and Tim Tebow)

PaulThePat

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Just binge watched all four episodes of Swamp Kings on Netflix. For those thinking...Who? What? It was a documentary in the "Untold" series which basically focused on the first few years of Urban Meyer at Florida i.e. before he resigned, un-resigned and flamed out before going to Ohio. As the programme extensively featured two ex-Patriots, namely Brandon Spikes and Tim Tebow (well, he did play in a couple of pre-season games from memory), I thought it ok to post here.

Was a good watch, even if you're not particularly into College football. Some of the main takeaways I had were:

- Not surprised Meyer has never succeeded in the NFL. He seems to be made for College. Not sure his act would go down with grizzled NFL veterans
- Tebow was a genuine phenomena at Florida - irrespective of how he actually played at times.
- Tebow looked like he was a fit for that team and that coach in that system at that time i.e. not a major surprised he did nothing in the NFL
- Florida players seemed out of control at times but Meyer was very reticent to cut people from the program no matter what they did
- College football really is huge in some parts of the US - way bigger and much more important then the NFL

...loads of other things I could say but I won't spoil it for anyone else planning on watching.

Last edited:
I thought it was good those were some absolutely brutal workouts.

- Not surprised Meyer has never worked in the NFL. He seems to be made for College. Not sure his act would go down with grizzled NFL veterans.
Good stuff. And did you mean you’re not surprised he didn’t work out in the NFL? Or did you miss the whole fiasco where he lasted less than one season in Jacksonville? If you did, that's not necessarily a bad thing. :cool:

Last edited:
From what I heard it is a puff piece for Urban Meyer. No mention of all the arrests, coach coking, fights, and other nonsense that went on down there.

As a Gator alum and fan, I loved it. But I do agree with those who were disappointed that it didn’t dive into more of the off-the-field problems, AKA Aaron Hernandez.

Man, that ‘08 team was something else. They were so loaded on both sides of the ball. They have an outright claim to one of the top 10 college football squads of all time, IMO. They’re still nowhere close to the 2001 Hurricanes, but they’re in the top 10.

Good stuff. And did you mean you’re not surprised he didn’t work out in the NFL? Or did you miss the whole fiasco where he lasted less than one season in Jacksonville? If you did, that's not necessarily a bad thing. :cool:
Yes, my bad. Meant hadn't worked out

• Winner
Reactions: Ian
As a Gator alum and fan, I loved it. But I do agree with those who were disappointed that it didn’t dive into more of the off-the-field problems, AKA Aaron Hernandez.
Yup, Aaron was mainly glossed over. Tebow mentioned a fight involving Hernandez where the other person was "injured". No more details and Aaron was barely mentioned again.

From what I heard it is a puff piece for Urban Meyer. No mention of all the arrests, coach coking, fights, and other nonsense that went on down there.
It's a puff piece for Urban. They focus more on Tebow in the year Chris Leak is the starting QB wins the BCS bowl game and is MVP of it. I feel Tebow has been dragged in because he add legitimacy to the idea it's worth telling Urban's story, Tebow has always seemed like a naive but decent guy but this feels like a poor choice from him.

It's good to see Spikes feature heavily, that he's doing well and back at school to get his degree. He was solid for us just a guy at the wrong time in the game.

Glossing over all the issues that team had and basically saying Urban was afraid to let someone go because one kid ended up dead after being cut was such a cop out.

Really liked Brandon Spikes and Aaron Hernandez at Florida. Brandon could hit like a ton of bricks and Hernandez had some ankle breaking ability for his size.

It's a puff piece for Urban. They focus more on Tebow in the year Chris Leak is the starting QB wins the BCS bowl game and is MVP of it. I feel Tebow has been dragged in because he add legitimacy to the idea it's worth telling Urban's story, Tebow has always seemed like a naive but decent guy but this feels like a poor choice from him.

It's good to see Spikes feature heavily, that he's doing well and back at school to get his degree. He was solid for us just a guy at the wrong time in the game.

Glossing over all the issues that team had and basically saying Urban was afraid to let someone go because one kid ended up dead after being cut was such a cop out.
Yep seems to me like Urban may want back into college coaching and this is a PR push to repair his image. College football is basically the Wild West so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another job.

Did it mention Spikes' video escapades?

Yep seems to me like Urban may want back into college coaching and this is a PR push to repair his image. College football is basically the Wild West so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another job.
I’ll just be happy if it boosts our recruiting under Napier. We already have the #3 class in the 2024 rankings.

Meyer cut a player earlier in his career after the player hit his girlfriend. The ex player continued on a bad path and died. That's why Meyer said he was so reluctant to get rid of players for disciplinary reasons.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back