PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is holding? A quick look at GB's O-line vs Dallas's D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I've been curious lately as to why Aaron Rodgers is able to seemingly run around in the pocket for 15 minutes without the O line receiving a single holding penalty. So I went to their last game against the Cowboys and had a look at the film.

As always any comments or corrections are appreciated.

Things to keep in mind:

1. I haven't looked at other games or other teams as close as this, including Dallas's Offensive line during this game, so I am not sure of what is considered generally acceptable across the league.

2. I've heard that they could call holding on every play which I agree with but there has to be some level of holding that crosses the line. What is it?

3. This thread is not to discredit GB's win on Sunday rather I decided to look at that game specifically because of seeing AR seemingly have so much time to throw at times which in retrospect has more to do with the coordination between he and his line and his scrambling ability than the lack of holding calls. imo.

OT: Something worth mentioning is that Dallas's D line seemed to get pressure on Aaron successfully when spreading their front towards the outside of the tackles or blitzing from the edges. It prevented GB's O line from consolidating the pressure into the middle. For example: One sack came from a right side CB blitz while GB gave the appearance of overloading the left side.

What is Holding?

Offensive Holding | NFL Football Operations

Use his hands or arms to materially restrict an opponent or alter the defender’s path or angle of pursuit. It is a foul regardless of whether the blocker’s hands are inside or outside the frame of the defender’s body. Material restrictions include but are not limited to:
  1. grabbing or tackling an opponent;
  2. hooking, jerking, twisting, or turning him; or
  3. pulling him to the ground.

Clips from GB vs Cowboys.

1. This was during a classic AR "free play". Dallas had twelve men on the field. (One guy heading to the sideline)

Took this shot during the replay because of angle but it fades out early so the intensity of the hold is not fully shown here.
upload_2017-1-17_17-46-12.png

1.a A live play view.
upload_2017-1-17_18-33-3.png

2. This is a classic hold. The defensive linemen has a clear shot at AR but the O-lineman hangs on and is actually pulled towards Rodgers.
upload_2017-1-17_18-44-59.png

2b. A view of the same play from a different view.
upload_2017-1-17_18-51-20.png

3. OT: not related to the thread but had to add this. Holding? My God. :D (No it wasn't called)

upload_2017-1-17_18-56-58.png

4. Arm around the neck. Wouldn't have affected the play.

upload_2017-1-17_19-4-30.png

5. Another neck grab. Beginning to think this is ignored as long as the O lineman's shoulder is in front of the D lineman's pads or something.

upload_2017-1-17_19-20-7.png

6. This was a big play during the 3rd qtr. A completion to Cobb for 25 yards. Technically this is holding but I don't think it's called because the defender changes his path back into the O lineman. Rodgers scrambles out to his right and the D lineman switches directions to follow him which puts him back to square with the O lineman.
upload_2017-1-17_19-55-12.png

7. This is a clear hold which affected the play. Yank on the Jersey which prevented him from getting to Rodgers.
upload_2017-1-17_20-16-45.png

My favorite from the game. 1. Has a hold of his head and arm. 2. Jersey yanked. 3. Arm across the neck.
Aaron still took a sack though. :eek:
upload_2017-1-17_20-17-54.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back