PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What I think the Pats will do

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Not necessarily what I want them to do, but what I think they will do.
I think they will target these 4 players in the first 2 rounds:

Eben Britton: starts out as solid right tackle. Moves to LT once he learns tricks of trade or if Light makes unreasonable contract demands.
Max Unger: Versatile enough to play center or guard.
Eric Wood: versatile enough to play center or guard.
Fili Moala: best NFL player on USC defense.

They will sign JTaylor as OLB. I do not think they will draft any LBers.

Eben Britton: starts out as solid right tackle. Moves to LT once he learns tricks of trade or if Light makes unreasonable contract demands.

3 OL in the first 4 picks?? I really doubt this will happen...in fact...I would be incredibly surprised if they had 4 picks...

Interesting. I also think that we will see the Pats take at least 2 OL in the first 2 rounds. I still believe that they may bundle up a couple of picks to move up and grab Jackson from LSU to be Seymour's replacement.

3 OL in the first 4 picks?? I really doubt this will happen...in fact...I would be incredibly surprised if they had 4 picks...

I think Pony meant targeting the four players -- not selecting them all.

Britton is not someone I see with LT potential

The OG/C prospects run into round three this draft -- so I doubt we come up empty

Moala would be earlier than the DT prospects NE has been interested in

Why would they target Unger and Wood? I know they're versatile, but they're both primarily centers and interior lineman.

3 lineman on the first day sounds a bit like the "3 LB" scenario on some drafts. It's a bit skewed, to put it mildly. And I hope we target Beatty over Britton.

Rumors are Wood may go 32 to the Steelers.

I think they want either Wood or Unger, not both.
1 OT
1 OG/C
1 3-4 DE

I think the Patriots will have a short list of players that they would take at 23. Maybe 3 guys. If none are there, they'll trade the pick. Same thing at 34. Assuming that most of the value in this draft is between 20-40, it should be a seller's market for those picks. Look for the Patriots to take advantage of that.

I would be delighted to see us get Mack or Wood to play center and or OG. And Unger to me is a more versatile Hochtein. He can play all five positions on the OL, which adds a lot of value.

If we move up for Jackson, it will likely take our 23, 47 and 89. I can see this happening, but that will likely mean that we will not be drafting two OL's in the first two rounds. In that scenario (as in most), a LB seems very likely at 34.

We would then be meeting upgrade needs at OL and S at 58, 97 and 124.

Just BTW, I would be fine with that scenario since it would mean that Belichick judged Jackson as a DE stud. He's been pretty good at such first round DL evaluations since he's been our coach.

Interesting. I also think that we will see the Pats take at least 2 OL in the first 2 rounds. I still believe that they may bundle up a couple of picks to move up and grab Jackson from LSU to be Seymour's replacement.

Here's what's going to happen. The Pats are going to get Peppers for chump change. Why? Because the Panthers are desperate to get rid of him and New England is one of the only teams he wants to go to. New England is going to low ball Carolina until they cave in and there will be an uproar when this trade happens. People will cry foul because New England gets great players for nothing. I just don't see or hear anybody in this draft that can make more of an impact then Peppers. New England will convince Peppers to take a low end deal and promise to pay him next year which will be uncapped. The Pats will be able to sign whoever the hell they want because they are one of the top teams in revenue throughout sports.

Last edited:
Here's what's going to happen. The Pats are going to get Peppers for chump change. Why? Because the Panthers are desperate to get rid of him and New England is one of the only teams he wants to go to. New England is going to low ball Carolina until they cave in and there will be an uproar when this trade happens. People will cry foul because New England gets great players for nothing. I just don't see or hear anybody in this draft that can make more of an impact then Peppers. New England will convince Peppers to take a low end deal and promise to pay him next year which will be uncapped. The Pats will be able to sign whoever the hell they want because they are one of the top teams in revenue throughout sports.

Are you Vic's source?

I think Pony meant targeting the four players -- not selecting them all.

Britton is not someone I see with LT potential

The OG/C prospects run into round three this draft -- so I doubt we come up empty

Moala would be earlier than the DT prospects NE has been interested in

I see Britten as a borderline LT prospect whose football character may tilt the balance in his favor a bit, making him a serviceable starting player eventually. But I feel Monroe is also a borderline LT prospect with lesser football character whose only advantage is arms 1" longer and a career at Virginia, which has become known as a LT factory. No matter that the LTs produced there specialize in getting their Qbs injured. [See Pennington and Clemens with the Jets and the top 2 Qbs for KC last season]

There is no Clady in this draft, but you can say that pretty much every year, as Clady was a unique prospect.

Among the LTs projected early IMO the best is Oher. He has the base strength, decent arm length, adequate quickness and toughness to start in the NFL.

Beatty has all the measurables but there is not a long history of great NFL linemen with his personality profile. Maybe he will blaze a new trail.

An additional observation I have about this draft is that I wouldn't draft either Stafford or Sanchez. The odds are against pocket passers standing 6'2'' in the NFL. Everyone around them is bigger, their passing lanes are smaller, their sightlines are diminished, their reactions must be quicker, the windows are tiny. To excel as a pocket passer at 6'2'' in the NFl requires unique courage, self-possession, pocket awareness, in-pocket agility, football intellect, and great coaching. Occasionally there are exceptions such as Drew Brees or Kurt Warner. But by and large this holds true, and I wouldn't risk a top 10 pick betting on an exception. Therefore if I needed a Qb in rd 1 I would take Josh Freeman. If I were Detroit and had my heart set on a Qb, I would take Freeman. Freeman will be a solid NFL Qb.

As far as Mayock goes, I think his success last season has gone to his head. He loved M. Ryan and J. Mayo, and he was right. But this year his pimping of Sanchez and Ayers is madness, as well as his defense of Cutler. Cutler had the best LT and maybe the best young WR in the NFL playing alongside him, as well as maybe the best offensive playcaller in NFL history. Cutler was not and will never be a great NFl Qb. he is a coach killer. he already killed Shanahan, and was trying to kill McDaniels.

Orton will do very well for himself, and to try to foist Sanchez on Denver as a "must" or claim the coach should be fired unless he takes Sanchez is overstepping his boundaries.

I don't like any of the well-known Lbers other than the Wake forest kid. Not Maualuga, not Laurinitis, not Cushing, nor Matthews.

I don't see an elite DE in the draft [or impact 3-4 OLB].

Maybe Orakpo, but the texas track record is abysmal. I'll take a healthy Crable over any 3-4 OLB prospect in this draft.

peria jerry is tommy harris and if i were a 4-3 tampa team i would run to select him in the top 10.

Ziggy plays like Amobi Okoye but with a better motor. He's even got the same spin move.

Last edited:

Pretty good. But Peppers isn't going to sign for just one year with a promise of possible riches in '10. No. What he needs is a 5 year deal like this:

$4M, $14M, $9M, $10M, $8M - first 2 years 100% guaranteed, next two 50% guaranteed, last year 25% guaranteed.

For picks? #89, #124, #199 - which is equal to #76 according to the draft calc I use. It's up to to CP to use them to create better picks. To make them feel better toss in a 5th from next year.

$4M, $14M, $9M, $10M, $8M - first 2 years 100% guaranteed, next two 50% guaranteed, last year 25% guaranteed.

Except for 2 things:

A)thats not a valid structure.
B) Why would he take 18M over 2 years when hes already guaranteed 17M this year.

Except for 2 things:

A)thats not a valid structure.
B) Why would he take 18M over 2 years when hes already guaranteed 17M this year.

If he wants out that badly, Peppers will take a pay cut. That's all I'm saying. If New England can find a way to give him a reasonably multi-year deal and fit him under the cap, the Pats will get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes