PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happened? We passed on Dez Bryant TWICE?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What happened? We passed on Dez Brant TWICE?!?!?

Dez intrigued me but he has serious issues with showing up late to practice and games, I REALLY didn't want him on my (our) team although he was a tease just like a deal with the devil is.

denver passed him over as well and they run the same system

Count me as one of the bummed. You should have seen the looks on our faces when we passed on Bryant twice. I sure hope McCourty is the next coming of Ty Law.

Belichick is more clever than everyone else, that's why no one understands his moves

Save for all the suckups in the front office...God, I miss Pioli...no one challenges Belichick anymore.

"You're a genius, coach!"

"You're gonna have 'em all scatching their heads with that pick, coach! Well done, sir!"

"Wow, coach, you really know how to stack a defensive secondary! Now that we have 27 cornerbacks on the roster, we can switch from the 3-4 t0 the 2-9!"

"Great move drafting our future CB - AGAIN - coach! We can put McCourty's locker right over there on "Future Lockdown Cornerback Row" right next to Terrence Wheatley, Jonathan Wilhite, Kyle Arrington and Darius Butler! You'e a genius, coach!"

Devin McCourty over Dez Bryant?

I am sorry. This cannot be happening...I am having a bad nightmare.

I will wake up tomorrow and Dez Bryant or Sergio Kindle will be a Patriot and Devan McCourty will be right where he should be...waiting to be drafted in the 4th or 5th round!

im more down that the pats passed on odrick, 3 times

Re: Belichick is more clever than everyone else, that's why no one understands his mo

Coming from the guy who used to refer to Seymour as Big Poo$ey, you'll have to forgive me if I don't give two craps what you think.

Good thread, though. Thanks for making it.

Re: Belichick is more clever than everyone else, that's why no one understands his mo

Priceless!!

Well done.......expect to get either bashed or deleted........maybe bashed and then deleted.

I felt the same way when we passed on William Beatty and Jarron Gilbert on numerous occasions last year. Obviously with Vollmer I don't care about Beatty anymore so hopefully McCourty will do the same thing for me again, although I still wish we had drafted Gilbert instead of Brace.

Save for all the suckups in the front office...God, I miss Pioli...no one challenges Belichick anymore.
We had our best draft in years last year without big, bad Scott.

First, I don't see Moss as much of a mentor. He might not be the cancer that people make him out to be and might be a good leader, but I don't see him as a mentor.

Second, a player has to want to change to change. If Bryant is immature as people say and the rumors of him pulling a diva act in team visits is true, the guy might be just a guy who will never change at least until he hits some real adversity in his career.

Actually Moss can relate to Bryant and would have been the perfect mentor for him IMO. And who are you to say that someone cannot make a change on their own?

Funny guy. I laughed.

denver passed him over as well and they run the same system

Excellent point. And I'd also like to list a few other teams that passed on this "once-in-a-lifetime" talent: Cincinnati (wow, that says something!), Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Houston, Tennessee, Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego, Philadelphia, NYG, Washington, Tampa Bay, Atalanta, Green Bay, Detroit, San Francisco (twice), Seattle, and St. Louis.

I'm sure all of these other fanbases are just as fuming mad right now.

Jerry Jones has a hard-on for talented wide receivers, no matter what the cost or baggage. Think Terry Glenn, Terrell Owens, and Roy Williams. He is just going to get a #1 receiver no matter what it takes. Belichick knew that was who Dallas wanted, and he didn't care. You know why? Because Bryant was off our board, period. According to PFT, at least 10 teams had removed him entirely as of Tuesday.

I remember when Randy Moss came into the league, with all of hype about his physical skills and off-field problems. Well, Randy then was immensely more talented, and immensely more intelligent than Dez Bryant is now. To steal a line from Lloyd Benson: "You, son, are no Randy Moss."

I understand that people are frustrated about our draft pick, but this is not a good counter-argument. I'd be much more frustrated if the Pats REALLY liked a player but refused to give up a precious 7th round pick to move up. Dez Bryant is not a case of failing to pull the trigger; it's a case of saying no.

BTW: If you are piling on BB right now, where were you last year when he took Galloway, realized that Galloway couldn't learn the playbook, and cut him? To me, that was the greatest sin: bad preparation, bad research. It's better to just not have these guys to begin with.

Last edited:

just for the record we also passed up on demarius thomas.

i am reading a number of comments about McCourty being a "special teamer", and lots of whining.

BB sees him having use on all 4 downs. Hell, the kid might even be a tweener and have some safety value as well. God knows our downfield tackling has been piss-poor lately and could use the upgrade we got here.

Whiny little *****es that have infested this website have made me sick. Stop your pissing and moaning and get back to hemming your skirts.

The draft is a lot less stressfull if you boycott all pre-draft coverage. That way you aren't invested in any of these kids just because Mel Kiper gets a woodie over their short-shuttle times or whatever.

I remember when we all thought Chad Jackson was the second coming of Randy Moss, too. I mean, the "pundits" all thought he was great. And, who could forget that hands video.

Then, he shows up at the first big Kraft party in a hotel ballroom as a Patriot rookie, gets off the elevator, and screams, "Wow, look at all dem white wimmen...."

So much for that draft pick, huh?

Nobody knows if any of these kids will make it in the NFL. If I had a dime for all the can't miss talent on draft day, I'd be a very wealthy man. I like the fact that Belichick tries to draft kids in the first round who may actually see the field on game day during their rookie seasons. Seems like a pragmatic goal for a first round pick.

Arrelious Benn, Golden Tate, Damian Williams all still on the board.

The draft is a lot less stressfull if you boycott all pre-draft coverage. That way you aren't invested in any of these kids just because Mel Kiper gets a woodie over their short-shuttle times or whatever.

I remember when we all thought Chad Jackson was the second coming of Randy Moss, too. I mean, the "pundits" all thought he was great. And, who could forget that hands video.

Then, he shows up at the first big Kraft party in a hotel ballroom as a Patriot rookie, gets off the elevator, and screams, "Wow, look at all dem white wimmen...."

So much for that draft pick, huh?

Nobody knows if any of these kids will make it in the NFL. If I had a dime for all the can't miss talent on draft day, I'd be a very wealthy man. I like the fact that Belichick tries to draft kids in the first round who may actually see the field on game day during their rookie seasons. Seems like a pragmatic goal for a first round pick.

He's blunt, but he's got a point.

You're pissed because we twice passed on Dez Bryant? Really? Dez Bryant?

Wow.

Look at all the WR needy teams that passed on him.

The guy is a huge douchebag, for a start, and doesn't fit what we do on offense anyway.

I'd have cried had we picked him. Let him be a bust elsewhere.

While there is always tomorrow, the teams obliviousness to buttressing the wide receiver corps is perplexing. We refuse to trade for Boldin or Marshall or Holmes. And when a top five talent falls into your lap, we look in another direction.

But there is always tomorrow.........

Is it me? or does Dez remind you alot of a young Michael Irvin - not in talent but in looks

If you ever thought the Patriots would even consider drafting Dez Bryant....in the 7th round...you can't have been a Patriots fan for very long...he was never even a consideration in this draft. This is like when the Pats never considered Christian Peter and all the Patriot "arm chair" experts went ballistic...he was NEVER even considered...the owner has a wife with considerable influence...her name is Myra...perhaps a little reading up on her views about character and the Patriots will do wonders to clear up all your perplexing confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back