PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What does Troy Brown think of these receivers

Salsalife

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I would love it if some reporter in the Patriots organization would sit down with Troy and have him tell us about different wide recievers he practice with and played with. Like, what makes a great receiver, tools, skills, knowledge? Does he remember his practice squad days with Parcells, what it took to make the special teams? I think in Troy he can relate to the process and give us fans some introspective look at Patriot life.

It funny, i seen him on OTA video with the wide receivers doing drills? Troy was the go to guy in his career with 1200 yards of catches in 1 year. He's was an 8th round pick. I think guys like him and Edelman should be training the wide receivers or a least be a mentor. I know, Edelman is not on the staff, yet!

I think that bb had/has him as RB coach speaks to bb’s desire to develop guys professionally in a well rounded way for their own good and not just to use them for one single skill set and throw them away. Look what he is doing w the rocket scientist too. Guys he likes /wants to keep he moves around do they see the whole team synergisticly.

plus I think he teaches the rb touter running dkills and am sure is available to the wr group/coach since he is on same practi fi.

I think that bb had/has him as RB coach speaks to bb’s desire to develop guys professionally in a well rounded way for their own good and not just to use them for one single skill set and throw them away. Look what he is doing w the rocket scientist too. Guys he likes /wants to keep he moves around do they see the whole team synergisticly.

plus I think he teaches the rb touter running dkills and am sure is available to the wr group/coach since he is on same practi fi.
Yep. He's preparing guys for futures as hcs, if they have any promise.
Look at what he did with Flores, who's gonna be a great hc. Flores did everything during his time with NE, from scouting, to coaching offense, defense and special teams, just like BB did coming up.

I would love it if some reporter in the Patriots organization would sit down with Troy and have him tell us about different wide recievers he practice with and played with. Like, what makes a great receiver, tools, skills, knowledge? Does he remember his practice squad days with Parcells, what it took to make the special teams? I think in Troy he can relate to the process and give us fans some introspective look at Patriot life.

Didn't Troy Brown do this in his book?

Just because someone was an amazing player doesn’t mean they can evaluate talent or coach their position. Especially some of these Pats receivers like Troy who thrived partially due to being especially cerebral on the field adjusting to the defense in real time on the field. Like I’d wager Brady would make an absolutely terrible QB coach for the same reason. Hard to teach that stuff.

Yep. He's preparing guys for futures as hcs, if they have any promise.
Look at what he did with Flores, who's gonna be a great hc. Flores did everything during his time with NE, from scouting, to coaching offense, defense and special teams, just like BB did coming up.

I would say Flores wasn't groomed by Belichick. Belichick passed over both Pepper and Flores for DC, multiple times. Flores paid his dues on the Pats for over 15 years then earned his HC job despite being held back in NE and was never a coordinator.

Last edited:
I would say Flores wasn't groomed by Belichick. Belichick passed over both Pepper and Flores for DC, multiple times. Flores paid his dues on the Pats for over 15 years then earned his HC job despite being held back in NE and was never a coordinator.

what a petty thing to say... and its bs as well... He was responsible for the defensive game planning in 2018, after Patricia left for Detroit... BB had him work in several areas, developing his skill base... by any measure, he was groomed by Belichick.

what a petty thing to say... and its bs as well... He was responsible for the defensive game planning in 2018, after Patricia left for Detroit... BB had him work in several areas, developing his skill base... by any measure, he was groomed by Belichick.

He worked for Bill, absolutely. For a long time. In a lot of departments. He was never made coordinator like he made Pees or Patricia or McD. Flores and Pepper were both passed over multiple times. Good for Flores to head to Miami and end up possibly the best one to leave the coaching tree.

He worked for Bill, absolutely. For a long time. In a lot of departments. He was never made coordinator like he made Pees or Patricia or McD. Flores and Pepper were both passed over multiple times. Good for Flores to head to Miami and end up possibly the best one to leave the coaching tree.

you do realize it took Patricia two years to get the coordinator title, right?

Flores went to Miami after his first year...

Just more petty, uninformed bs on your part

BB's expectations of any coaches is high, for someone like Troy who will be required to work long hours with not many days off is a tremendous sacrifice for him and his family.. imagine the pay is pretty good, but it does not lend itself to a lot of time away from that job.

If/when he takes over for Ivan Fears, he will progress to a different role in understanding differing aspects of the offense.. which seems to be how BB develops his coaches.

So in your warped mind, BB is also a racist who only names his white proteges to coordinator jobs (this was clearly what you were intimating, so don’t try to pretend otherwise)? Lol. You’ve really outdone yourself this time.

If he hadn’t been surprisingly been hired by the Dolphins as their HC, Flores likely would have named DC. As others have pointed out, Patricia also acted as the DC without the title before we was officially given the job.

Mods, how many threads is this moron going to be allowed to poison with lies and fabrications?

PS. Brian Flores reflects on Belichick’s mentorship as he becomes a rival

Just because someone was an amazing player doesn’t mean they can evaluate talent or coach their position. Especially some of these Pats receivers like Troy who thrived partially due to being especially cerebral on the field adjusting to the defense in real time on the field. Like I’d wager Brady would make an absolutely terrible QB coach for the same reason. Hard to teach that stuff.

Wayne Gretzky flamed out as a head coach, despite being one of the smartest hockey players ever. You're exactly right: He couldn't just say, "Now in this situation, just see the ice the way I used to..."

Tom Brady could probably do some great work instilling successful work habits, and maybe throwing mechanics (though teaching those seems to be a specialized skillset, regardless of how good the coach was at performing them). But when it came down to processing defensive schemes and not defecating in pressure situations, I imagine most young QB's would frustrate him.

Wayne Gretzky flamed out as a head coach, despite being one of the smartest hockey players ever. You're exactly right: He couldn't just say, "Now in this situation, just see the ice the way I used to..."

Tom Brady could probably do some great work instilling successful work habits, and maybe throwing mechanics (though teaching those seems to be a specialized skillset, regardless of how good the coach was at performing them). But when it came down to processing defensive schemes and not defecating in pressure situations, I imagine most young QB's would frustrate him.
You never know. One unnamed QB, a 5 year veteran talked about sitting down w Ron Jaworski for TV prep before a game and said he learned stuff in that one hour that he never knew w 3 different QB coaches in his itme in the league and wished he could have spent more time. Some guys have it, some don't... I will try to find the link...

Brady strikes me as extremely self-focused person. Coaching is about being other-focused. It is, to a large degree, hard wired into a personality.

Off record, Troy would say that they suck ***.

Not a single one of them could carry Troys jock strap on their best day.

PC answer is that its a great group on the verge of opening NFL eyes. Then you delve into each WRs vague qualities like "Meyers is sharp out of his breaks and Hes having a great camp too, Harry is a hard worker who walks around reading the playbook" You build em up with BS like that as to get the media and fans to buy in like suckers.

You never know. One unnamed QB, a 5 year veteran talked about sitting down w Ron Jaworski for TV prep before a game and said he learned stuff in that one hour that he never knew w 3 different QB coaches in his itme in the league and wished he could have spent more time. Some guys have it, some don't... I will try to find the link...

Oh, for sure he would have value to anyone that wants to pick his brain. And who knows, he could be just as good at coaching as he is playing (who's going to bet against him?). It's more just a general observation about some of the all time greats who have tried their hand at it and why they failed. The most important factor though might be desire. I'm not sure Brady really WANTS to coach when he's done. I think once he can't play anymore, he's going to focus more on TB12. But that's just speculation, and for all we know he's going to play until he drops dead anyway.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back