PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you guys think of Maroney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FinNasty23 said:
The Future of Miami Starts Now
What does this mean? That you have years of horrible playing to look forward to? Why would anyone want what is going on in Miami to be their future?

brady2brown said:
What does this mean? That you have years of horrible playing to look forward to? Why would anyone want what is going on in Miami to be their future?

It is refering to my sig pic... Ronnie and Wade. They are the future of Miami... and both look to be great.

Oh, and thanks for that kick while I'm down... :rolleyes:

grapedog said:
Until I see him put up a few 100 yards games without Dillon around, I'll always be skeptical.
Why would it be harder to gain 100 yards a gain if he isn't splitting carries? Wouldn't it be more impressive if he gets a 100 yards while splitting carries?

Or do you think he runs better with Dillon on the sidelines than he does when Dillon is not on the sidelines?

FinNasty23 said:
What are your thoughts on Maroney? Are you guys really high on him? He has looked pretty solid so far. He has shown some flashes here and there and looks like he will be pretty good... but hasnt really been able to put a couple of games together.

So what are your thoughts?

He's the most exciting running back around these parts since Curtis Martin was here. If he stays healthy, he will be a dominating running back for years in this offense.

FinNasty23 said:
It is refering to my sig pic... Ronnie and Wade. They are the future of Miami... and both look to be great.

Oh, and thanks for that kick while I'm down... :rolleyes:
Really? Because Ronnie Brown has been a player who has been getting stuffed an awful lot this year. He finally played a good game against a junk team.

Maroney is certainly better but I am not on the bandwagon. He is definitley capable of big plays but against sturdy defenses he seems to have some trouble. He has returned kicks very well and amazing at times but he has been a little inconsistent. It helps to have Dillon running hard getting 6 or 8 yards at times.

Last edited:
brady2brown said:
Why would it be harder to gain 100 yards a gain if he isn't splitting carries? Wouldn't it be more impressive if he gets a 100 yards while splitting carries?

Or do you think he runs better with Dillon on the sidelines than he does when Dillon is not on the sidelines?

I think he means that so far, Maroney has been impressive as a change-of-pace back... but needs to see how he will do as the lone back.

Kdo5 said:
Really? Because Ronnie Brown has been a player who has been getting stuffed an awful lot this year. He finally played a good game against a junk team.

Maroney is certainly better but I am not on the bandwagon. He is definitley capable of big plays but against sturdy defenses he seems to have some trouble. He has returned kicks very well and amazing at times but he has been a little inconsistent. It helps to have Dillon running hard getting 6 or 8 yards at times.

Ya, its pretty easy to get stuffed when hit in the backfield. However, when he actually does get a block or 2, the guy kills it. The fact that he even gets back to the line of scrimmage half the time is a tribute to him...

Maroney better than Ronnie right now?? Please. Ronnie would be destroying people if he was on your team, had your threat at QB, and your offensive line.

Last edited:
FinNasty23 said:
I think he means that so far, Maroney has been impressive as a change-of-pace back... but needs to see how he will do as the lone back.
We all know how mediocore Ronnie Brown is ever since Ricky Williams was suspended. ;)

FinNasty23 said:
Ya, its pretty easy to get stuffed when hit in the backfield. However, when he actually does get a block or 2, the guy kills it. The fact that he even gets back to the line of scrimmage half the time is a tribute to him...
Ya, your offensive line is junk but so is Buffalo's and Mgahee makes a great effort pushing guys back alone. Brown runs hard too but Mgahee is problably the best in the AFC East right now.

Kdo5 said:
We all know how mediocore Ronnie Brown is ever since Ricky Williams was suspended. ;)

First of all, I wasnt the one who said that... I was just clarifying the guys statement.

And what do you expect him to do behind our offensive line? Look at Edge? Would you say Maroney is better than him? No. Yet Edge isnt doing well at all because he has no offensive line. You need holes to run through... and neither Ronnie or Edge have them.

I LOVE this kid! I love the way he runs. He's young with a ton of upside so imagine what he can be in the future...wow! Good skillset, good attitude...and hopefully no silly a**ed flag football games (a la Edwards) or contract disputes (a la Martin) will keep him in the sandbox at Gillette for a long, long time.

Kdo5 said:
Ya, your offensive line is junk but so is Buffalo's and Mgahee makes a great effort pushing guys back alone. Brown runs hard too but Mgahee is problably the best in the AFC East right now.

Look at the stats between Willis and Ronnie. Willis actually gets the ball... so he has more yards... but they have the exact same YPC... and Ronnie has 3 more TDs than Willis.

Willis: 150 carries - 564 yards - 3.8ypc - 1 TD
Ronnie: 122 carries - 464 yards - 3.8ypc - 4 TDs

And thats not even adding in receving stats...

Willis: 14 receptions for 127 yards
Ronnie: 25 receptions for 216 yards

Last edited:
There's a lot of good young RB talent in the league right now, and realistically McGahee, Brown and Maroney all look like strong players. If I had to pick one of them for a single game, I'd take McGahee at this point. He's the only one who has proven to me that he can carry an NFL team for a full game. If I had to take a long-term gamble on one I'd take Maroney, who has a rare combination of suddenness, power and breakaway speed. None of this is a slight on Brown, who should have a long and productive career.

And the Jets would dearly love to have any three of those backs.

Hello, FinNasty23.

I refer you to my sig for my thoughts on Maroney. :)

patchick said:
There's a lot of good young RB talent in the league right now, and realistically McGahee, Brown and Maroney all look like strong players. If I had to pick one of them for a single game, I'd take McGahee at this point. He's the only one who has proven to me that he can carry an NFL team for a full game. If I had to take a long-term gamble on one I'd take Maroney, who has a rare combination of suddenness, power and breakaway speed. None of this is a slight on Brown, who should have a long and productive career.

I think these type of threads are always really silly because the fact is that the league has more good running backs to go around than ever before in history, and the reason is clear to me. It's because defenses have to play the pass. All teams pass the ball more than ever, even teams like the Steelers. Consequently, we have all kinds of running backs that tear up this league for a few years, make the pro-bowl, and eventually get replaced by the next, latest, greatest flavor of the month.

The fact is that Dillon is far and away the best running back in the division, on a career basis. He took over games as a rookie, he took over games in 2004, and when he doesn't get dinged up, he is still THE battering ram in this division. McGahee is the young guy who is clearly showing some dominant traits. Maroney is still in the 'potential' phase.

This league is full of good backs and will be for as long as every team is busy defending the pass, but at the end of the day, most of the Ronnie Brown's of the world don't end up breaking 10,000 yards, like Dillon. Or look so good doing it.

If defenses crowd the line of scrimmage like the good old days when football was not pass happy, and Napolian wasn't in charge of the NFL, we wouldn't be talking about anybody in this division except Dillon. Maybe McGahee, but I don't watch enough of their games to know if he brought his very best just for the Pats, like most players and teams have been doing since 2002.

I still think the only 'special' back in this division over the long haul will be Dillon. He currently has Hall of Fame creds. Period.

I doubt any of the other guys have a great shot at 10,000 yards and counting. That is the sign of a good back, not his YPC during a random six game stretch.

Last edited:
FinNasty23 said:
"Monster" would not be the word I would use to describe Maroney...

And yet you call Ronnie "Nasty"... I don't think there's much difference.

patchick said:

I agree with most of this. But what do you call 125 yards on 17 carries during the Bengals game? Agreed - he did share the ball some, but to me, this is a prime example of Maroney's potential dominance.

rusH1023 said:
And yet you call Ronnie "Nasty"... I don't think there's much difference.

By that I meant that his style wouldnt be accuratly described as a "monster". I would reserve that for more of a bruising type RB...

FinNasty23 said:
By that I meant that his style wouldnt be accuratly described as a "monster". I would reserve that for more of a bruising type RB...

One of the things that impressed me most about him was his ability to break tackles without sacrificing much of the explosiveness. He's been a little inconsistent, but I'd definitely call him a monster. He's not an easy tackle one on one or even two on one. And I LOVE the ability to stiff arm and use his strength and weight to his advantage -- just like Dillon.

rusH1023 said:
One of the things that impressed me most about him was his ability to break tackles without sacrificing much of the explosiveness. He's been a little inconsistent, but I'd definitely call him a monster. He's not an easy tackle one on one or even two on one. And I LOVE the ability to stiff arm and use his strength and weight to his advantage -- just like Dillon.

That stiff arm against Cincy was nice... but you know what I was saying. Monster would be a word I would use to describe a guy like Brandon Jacobs...

Surely. Or Michael Turner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore