PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a weird postseason...

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this since the Super Bowl ended. Anyone else feel like this was just a strange postseason? I sort of let myself get caught up in the week-to-week way it all unfolded, forcing myself to forget about the disappointing Patriots season while watching the two conferences play out the way it did. It was also nice to see Brady and Gronk ultimately provide a nice distraction, which allowed me to retain some sort of rooting interest. I was pondering writing something about it and finally did last night, but I'm sort of assuming I'm not completely alone in this.

I understand the animosity some people have against Brady and Gronk but I honestly feel like it ended up being a cool side-story. I don't know if the postseason would have been as fun/interesting without that. For anyone questioning my loyalty, don't get me wrong, I've been pretty hardcore about it. The Peyton Manning years had me fired up quite a bit. I disliked him so much that we didn't watch the Super Bowl after they lost to him and we picked those nights to go out to dinner in what were generally pretty empty restaurants. Watching him potentially win a title was something I didn't want to see, especially hearing all the experts back then chime in about how much better they thought he was.

Again, at the end of the day, as happy as I am for Brady, it's a different story when he visits next season. But for this offseason, it definitely was a nice distraction after an otherwise long year and tough season for the team. Just wondering if anyone else found themselves in a similar mindset because I found myself otherwise enjoying a lot of the match-ups, and eventually Brady's finish at the end, without the stress of us getting bounced given that even if they made it, I didn't have much hope for a long playoff run.

I choose to look back at the two decade run with Brady as a once in a lifetime event. While others bemoan the departure, I marvel in the fact that BB & Brady stayed together (and productive) longer than any other duo. In any sport.

I’m a Patriots fan. While Brady is easily my fav alltime player, he’s moved on and so have I. Looking forward to the future and if the Brady-only fans move on : that’s fine with me. A lot of posters haven’t been lifetime Expos fans, and it’s showing...

The past is the past. Nothing any player does now changes what they did then - be that success or failure.

If anything, TB12's success this year just reaffirms his success in New England. Yes, Virginia, he really is that good.

I choose to look back at the two decade run with Brady as a once in a lifetime event. While others bemoan the departure, I marvel in the fact that BB & Brady stayed together (and productive) longer than any other duo. In any sport.

I’m a Patriots fan. While Brady is easily my fav alltime player, he’s moved on and so have I. Looking forward to the future and if the Brady-only fans move on : that’s fine with me. A lot of posters haven’t been lifetime Expos fans, and it’s showing...
I remember the early 90s, which were my middle school years when the team wasn't all that great. 2001 was my first full season doing a site here and I definitely never expected things to unfold the way that they did and I certainly never expected a historic run. I've tried to take each year in stride and just appreciate some of the small details and the things we'll all look back on years from now, because as we've found out, it doesn't last forever. Definitely puts a new perspective on it.

I remember the early 90s, which were my middle school years when the team wasn't all that great. 2001 was my first full season doing a site here and I definitely never expected things to unfold the way that they did and I certainly never expected a historic run. I've tried to take each year in stride and just appreciate some of the small details and the things we'll all look back on years from now, because as we've found out, it doesn't last forever. Definitely puts a new perspective on it.

Fans have become spoiled. The GREAT (?) combo of Brees & Payton : two consecutive 7-9 seasons a while ago. A long list of playoff heartache (mostly self harm, but blamed on other factors in typical loser fashion) and ONE NFC title and ONE SB...

BB goes 7-9 and everyone goes berserk ? People gotta chill. Not to mention: I’m pretty confident those great coaches all had pretty solid talent - many had amazing QBs.

Last edited:
The past is the past. Nothing any player does now changes what they did then - be that success or failure.

If anything, TB12's success this year just reaffirms his success in New England. Yes, Virginia, he really is that good.
Yes it did. It completely validated our dynasty.

It wasn't a magical system, it wasn't videotaping the other team or deflating footballs, it wasn't officiating, etc. Yes Brady and the Patriots really were that good. It was pure talent and coaching that maximized it.

Last edited:
Fans have become spoiled. The GREAT (?) combo of Brees & Payton : two consecutive 7-9 seasons a while ago. A long list of playoff heartache (mostly self harm, but blamed on other factors in typical loser fashion) and ONE NFC title and ONE SB...

BB goes 7-9 and everyone goes berserk ? People gotta chill. Not to mention: I’m pretty confident those great coaches all had pretty solid talent - many had amazing QBs.
Pretty interesting parallel when you think about it. Payton is a great coach and Brees is a great QB. Both on the same team since 2006, so 14 years together. I can't think of another recent coach/QB tandem where both are regarded as great, with such longevity, besides Belichick/Brady. So they make for an apt comparison... The Saints had losing seasons with both guys playing; NE had one... The Saints went to 3 NFCCGs and won 1; NE went to 14 AFCCGs and won 9. Brady leaves and Bill still comes close to a .500 year with the shell of Cam Newton at QB. Brady wins the Super Bowl elsewhere. I think it says a lot about how good both men are.

I enjoy ANY AND ALL football. This playoff run was kinda fun for me...no pressue...I gambled for the first time since the 2008 playoffs. When Peyton was going to the SB in '06, '09, '13, and '15....I rooted for him in '15 only. But watched '06 just so I could see how the Patriots would have likely beaten Grossman & Co....they did it the same year in the game where Brady duked Urlacher outta his socks. In '09 I enjoyed the Saints win so much...especially Payton's halftime onsides kick...wow... in '13...it wasn't so bad...I went to a party...and the game was over by half time...won a SB square I think (shrugs).

I absolutely loved watching the Bucs' 4 game run....especially Tommy's pass to Scotty Miller just before halftime in GB. That was a BIG TIME throw.....

All of that being said...when Brady returns to Foxboro....I hope we remain the only NFL franchise he never beat! LFG!!!

I've been thinking about this since the Super Bowl ended. Anyone else feel like this was just a strange postseason? I sort of let myself get caught up in the week-to-week way it all unfolded, forcing myself to forget about the disappointing Patriots season while watching the two conferences play out the way it did. It was also nice to see Brady and Gronk ultimately provide a nice distraction, which allowed me to retain some sort of rooting interest. I was pondering writing something about it and finally did last night, but I'm sort of assuming I'm not completely alone in this.

I understand the animosity some people have against Brady and Gronk but I honestly feel like it ended up being a cool side-story. I don't know if the postseason would have been as fun/interesting without that. For anyone questioning my loyalty, don't get me wrong, I've been pretty hardcore about it. The Peyton Manning years had me fired up quite a bit. I disliked him so much that we didn't watch the Super Bowl after they lost to him and we picked those nights to go out to dinner in what were generally pretty empty restaurants. Watching him potentially win a title was something I didn't want to see, especially hearing all the experts back then chime in about how much better they thought he was.

Again, at the end of the day, as happy as I am for Brady, it's a different story when he visits next season. But for this offseason, it definitely was a nice distraction after an otherwise long year and tough season for the team. Just wondering if anyone else found themselves in a similar mindset because I found myself otherwise enjoying a lot of the match-ups, and eventually Brady's finish at the end, without the stress of us getting bounced given that even if they made it, I didn't have much hope for a long playoff run.

There was a weird pleasure in rooting hard for Brady while at the same time not really caring if the Bucs lost. Less at stake, but a lot of fun seeing my man do what he does best.

Pretty interesting parallel when you think about it. Payton is a great coach and Brees is a great QB. Both on the same team since 2006, so 14 years together. I can't think of another recent coach/QB tandem where both are regarded as great, with such longevity, besides Belichick/Brady. So they make for an apt comparison... The Saints had losing seasons with both guys playing; NE had one... The Saints went to 3 NFCCGs and won 1; NE went to 14 AFCCGs and won 9. Brady leaves and Bill still comes close to a .500 year with the shell of Cam Newton at QB. Brady wins the Super Bowl elsewhere. I think it says a lot about how good both men are.
The Pats never had a losing season with Brady. They went 9-7 in his second season and that was the only season they didn’t make a playoff appearance with him as the starter.

Dare I say it, but what made the playoff games better this year was less crowd noise.

Road teams finally won! And most of the games were competitive.

First round: Rams, Bucs, Ravens, Browns. Four out of six road teams won. Nothing could help the Bears and the Colts made it a game.
Second round: Only the Bucs won, but games mostly competitive.
Third round: Bucs on the road, and Cleveland came back.
Superbowl Road team lost. Does that count???

6-6 not counting the Super Bowl. Has there been a year road teams in the playoffs did that well?

I consider it a success, not just because tom won , but also because pitt (tied at 6), kc (can the dynasty talk), and gb ( still at 4) did not win. I have no complaints about either of the last 2 years we couldn’t be in the title race. Would prefer some instant classic type playoff games not involving us though , seems to be lacking the last 2 postseasons

Dare I say it, but what made the playoff games better this year was less crowd noise.

Road teams finally won! And most of the games were competitive.

First round: Rams, Bucs, Ravens, Browns. Four out of six road teams won. Nothing could help the Bears and the Colts made it a game.
Second round: Only the Bucs won, but games mostly competitive.
Third round: Bucs on the road, and Cleveland came back.
Superbowl Road team lost. Does that count???

6-6 not counting the Super Bowl. Has there been a year road teams in the playoffs did that well?
Teams were 5-5 in 2018, both road teams won the conference championship games.

Reactions: Ian
Teams were 5-5 in 2018, both road teams won the conference championship games.

Thank you. I hadn't done research.

So this year was possibly tied for best road record in playoffs. Coincidence?

Thank you. I hadn't done research.

So this year was possibly tied for best road record in playoffs. Coincidence?
I only went as far back as 2000 and these were the outcomes:

2010 had 6 out of 10 road teams win
2008 5 out of 10
2007 5 out of 10
2005 6 out of 10

...and a whole lot 4/10.

Home field is an advantage but not as nearly as big as the fact that usually the home team is better, hence the better record and home field. Otherwise, when the teams were evenly matched, or a bad team won the division but made the playoffs and faced a better team, like Washington vs the Bucs this year, it's more or less 50%-50%.

I found myself yelling at the TV during the SB, something like "hurry up Tommy" like he was still here at one point early in the first half. My friends laughed at me, as I had said all season "eff him, he didn't want to be here." So, in the end, all is forgiven. I still held a grudge against Gronk, but I called the first TD with a "Gronk in the flat here" and I felt pretty good about my OC abilities as a high school coach. By the second one, I was all "yeah, good for him" even though I am not going to forget his mouth running for years, the motocross BS presser, the retire-not-retire CBD crap for a year, and in the end, that he was sick of Bill. I will always look at him has the true Yoko Ono of this breakup. I place the blame 25% Bill, 25% Tom, 25% Gronk, and the rest divvied up among the Krafts, Peyton GD Manning and Gisele. That's my blame pie.

I am not one of these guys that hates the Chiefs and Mahomes. I think Mahomes is an electric, dynamic player who is fun to watch. From a strategy point of view, I can see that he might drive coaches nuts, because he seems let his athleticism get the better of him. He's extending the play and making these super exciting feats of athletic ability, when a simpler solution is likely available. Kinda like we see in Brady. Brady takes a 3 yard gain or an incompletion and lives to the next play or series. Brady gets the big picture. In his words, he knows the answers to the test. Mahomes doesn't see that yet. It'll be interesting to see if he figures it out. My guess is that he won't, he'll be another Russell Wilson, instead of being the next GOAT.

It was weird since I watched pretty much every game. Being stuck at home recovering from an elective surgery and laying low due to COVID here. I cant remember the last time I watched that much non-Patriots football. Probably back in my (serious) drinking days when it was a good excuse to hang at the bar. It was fun to watch Tom. I am at peace with the divorce. Happy for Tampa's team. Like I told my neighbor who was rooting against Tom, there are alot more players on that Tampa team who haven't played or won a Super Bowl. It's not all about Tom.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back