PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a rough season

We both are finding out what’s it like without our Hall of Fame QBs.

You two live in fantasyland. Nudges, tweaks, and just three players away isn't "putting a positive spin on things" it's being delusional. The notion that we just snap our fingers and find a franchise QB is insane. Some organizations spend decades looking for the right guy. This team needs a total tear down and to be rebuilt from the ground up with a new coach, GM, and about 75% of the roster.
Agree to disagree. Say we pick up Jimmy G, run it back with Trent Brown one more time, extend Onwenu and leave him at tackle, see Judon/Gonzalez play a full season, extend Dugger, and draft...Marv Harrison Jr... then we play BUF, MIA, & NYJ 2X, the AFC South, the NFC West, one to be determined AFC West team which won't be the Chiefs, and one AFC North team which could be the Bengals....slightly easier schedule depending on how good Indy, Tennessee, Arizona, and the Rams are next year....

Not as exciting as a top two QB prospect...but the offense would be NFL average and the D would be elite. We would then beat teams we should beat and struggle vs. elite teams...finish 9-8/10-7 and make the playoffs.

Things change fast in the NFL

Agree to disagree. Say we pick up Jimmy G, run it back with Trent Brown one more time, extend Onwenu and leave him at tackle, see Judon/Gonzalez play a full season, extend Dugger, and draft...Marv Harrison Jr... then we play BUF, MIA, & NYJ 2X, the AFC South, the NFC West, one to be determined AFC West team which won't be the Chiefs, and one AFC North team which could be the Bengals....slightly easier schedule depending on how good Indy, Tennessee, Arizona, and the Rams are next year....

Not as exciting as a top two QB prospect...but the offense would be NFL average and the D would be elite. We would then beat teams we should beat and struggle vs. elite teams...finish 9-8/10-7 and make the playoffs.

You guys think you can make one last gasp toward a wildcard spot!

I am probably being a bit pessimistic but at best I see this as, at a minimum, a three year timeframe before we win a playoff game again and that is assuming Bill is gone and a new regime is in place. As of right now we should be in a good spot for one of the top two quarterbacks in the draft and if we hit on the guy then we're right in line to be a true threat in the post season wishing three years. I still think three years even with the guy because I think so much of the offense needs to be retooled. Likely going to need at least one new tackle and a potential upgrade over strange at guard. Going to basically have to blow up the receiver room outside of Douglas. Maybe bring back Henry at TE but will need an upgrade there very soon and also some depth behind him. The backup QB spot will also need to be addressed with an actual backup quarterback capable of keeping the team at .500 if he needs to play for multiple games. Ideally most of this will be done through good drafting with free agency to supplement but either way a roster this bad is going to take some time to rebuild.

Not that you're wrong, but this can be argued indefinitely with plausible scenarios going both directions. If the OL is solidified and potent receivers acquired, a serviceable veteran QB signee can suffice with rookie QB learning from the bench. The defense is good. What encourages me are (1) big cap $$$ to spend on free agents and (2) good draft position. I think a rebuild can be done quickly given those resources and parts in place. Again, not that I'm predicting it but playoffs next year are not totally out of the question with the Jete and Prairie Cows faltering.

I really thought we were just as good as the Bucs that year. In 2019 SF was just the way better team.
They had no shot with the Packers defense. They lucked out Tom threw some very uncharacteristically fluky INT's with a big lead. The Packers problems for years were also on the offensive side as teams would take out Adams and nobody else were capable of showing up.

The Packers got in those big games because of Rodgers.

So you view 9-8/10-7 as a "turnaround"? To me that is just mediocrity. You turn into the Raiders, or the Colts in between Luck and Richardson or any of the other middling teams trying to patch it together with veteran retreads at QB. I would rather rip it down draft a blue chip QB and start to build around him and keep your fingers crossed. All goes well he's the guy and you have him for a decade plus and you're generally a contender most years. He isn't the guy and you do it all over again in 4 years.

Not that you're wrong, but this can be argued indefinitely with plausible scenarios going both directions. If the OL is solidified and potent receivers acquired, a serviceable veteran QB signee can suffice with rookie QB learning from the bench. The defense is good. What encourages me are (1) big cap $$$ to spend on free agents and (2) good draft position. I think a rebuild can be done quickly given those resources and parts in place. Again, not that I'm predicting it but playoffs next year are not totally out of the question with the Jete and Prairie Cows faltering.
I think the turnaround can be quicker if we end up with a coach/GM who is willing to swing big and make an AJ Brown/Tyreek Hill type trade at some point to pair with a young QB. That has been the formula to success with a lot of the emerging young quarterbacks. Either have the alpha dog receiver in place before your QB gets there or get one after you draft your QB. Moral of the story is we need to invest in the offense. We haven't had a guy who can consistently win man on man matchups since Gronk.

Thanks, but don't think it will be like the late 80's/early 90's again for us.

We basically are missing two of our best defensive players in Judon and the rookie Gonzalez. We are missing our #1 receiver in Bourne as well. And the offensive line took like 6-7 games to gel a bit. We are 2-5 in one score games this year so far. Even the most pessimistic Pats fan in ore-season had us marked down as 4-6 by this point (losses to PHI, DAL, MIA 2x, BUF, and the NYJ w/ Rodgers...and wins vs. NO/LV/WAS/IND). The reason we have sucked is all on offense...we just can't score points nor put together figgie drives at least once a quarter.....

All we need is: QB, WR, and OT and we are likely to remedy that in the off-season with likely a top 7 draft pick and massive cap space.
what was the Patriots record with Judon, Gonzalez, Bourne?

uh, no.

thats not what he said, and if you think it is well you would be flat out wrong.

I still haven't counted us out for THIS SEASON! It is run-the-table time... it is theoretically possible that we could go 11-0! 10,000 to 1 odds probably, but I'd sure love to see heads explode!

So you view 9-8/10-7 as a "turnaround"? To me that is just mediocrity. You turn into the Raiders, or the Colts in between Luck and Richardson or any of the other middling teams trying to patch it together with veteran retreads at QB. I would rather rip it down draft a blue chip QB and start to build around him and keep your fingers crossed. All goes well he's the guy and you have him for a decade plus and you're generally a contender most years. He isn't the guy and you do it all over again in 4 years.

The problem with blowing it all up is that...like u or someone said here...we are betting heavily on some 20 year old kid... it is nearly impossible to accurately evaluate the QB position. Total hit and miss...as evidenced by Tom Brady.

However, I am not talking about a "turn around"...just mere competency. Our offense is ranked 31st in the league! We scored only six points last week....only crossed the 50 four times basically....

Give me an average offense and I believe we win 9-10 games year in/out.

what was the Patriots record with Judon, Gonzalez, Bourne?
Not good, but we had a puncher's chance. We were 1-2 before Gonz and Judon went down following the Dallas game where got blown out.

I'd have loved to have had them against the Saints, Raiders, Commanders, and Colts.... and Bourne for the Commanders/Colts games too. We might be 4-6/5-5 today and still chasing 5-4 Houston for the 7th seed.

Thanks, but don't think it will be like the late 80's/early 90's again for us.

We basically are missing two of our best defensive players in Judon and the rookie Gonzalez. We are missing our #1 receiver in Bourne as well. And the offensive line took like 6-7 games to gel a bit.
Team was still losing with all those guys playing. OL still gelling, have been for 3+ seasons.

We are 2-5 in one score games this year so far.
Yea, that's not good. It's also been that way w/ prior seasons.

Even the most pessimistic Pats fan in ore-season had us marked down as 4-6 by this point (losses to PHI, DAL, MIA 2x, BUF, and the NYJ w/ Rodgers...and wins vs. NO/LV/WAS/IND).
So we did worse than the most pessimistic predicted? Not sure that helps your point.

The reason we have sucked is all on offense...we just can't score points nor put together figgie drives at least once a quarter.....
We have no depth on D. D is league avg. in total yards and bottom 3rd in points.

All we need is: QB, WR, and OT and we are likely to remedy that in the off-season with likely a top 7 draft pick and massive cap space.
We had a top 15 pick and spent an NFL record amount during FAcy two years ago and now we're 2-8. I'm sure everything will magically change in a year while keeping everything the same. Lol

Love you hyped but you're way too optimistic of team's future.

The problem with blowing it all up is that...like u or someone said here...we are betting heavily on some 20 year old kid... it is nearly impossible to accurately evaluate the QB position. Total hit and miss...as evidenced by Tom Brady.

However, I am not talking about a "turn around"...just mere competency. Our offense is ranked 31st in the league! We scored only six points last week....only crossed the 50 four times basically....

Give me an average offense and I believe we win 9-10 games year in/out.
I would rather rebuild 5x in a row for the next 20 years than be scared to draft a QB. A sizable portion of this fanbase lives in fear of drafting a bust at quarterback and I think their fears are overblown. I don't want to toil away around .500 and be the Andy Dalton Bengals who fall on their face every Wild Card weekend in January. I would rather live through a few years of growing pains with a young QB with the hope that he can be a guy who can lead us to a super bowl. In the end of the day if you don't have a quarterback capable of winning the Super Bowl then what is the point?

Packers wasted a 1st round pick on Love when they had needs elsewhere. Packers were overmatched going to against SF in 2019 so they took a QB in the 1st round. Went back to the NFCCG and were overmatched again against the Bucs.

Some teams do some really bizarre ****.
That’s not entirely fair. They had a flighty qb that was playing games with mgmt and they had an eye on the future. You have to have a qb that can play then try your best to surround them with good to great pieces to complement. It just appears (so far) that they picked the wrong guy. We should be drafting a qb every year until we find the guy.

I still haven't counted us out for THIS SEASON! It is run-the-table time... it is theoretically possible that we could go 11-0! 10,000 to 1 odds probably, but I'd sure love to see heads explode!
giphy(2).gif

They’ve been brutal and a difficult product to watch but I accept it for what it is. We had an amazing run and I’m not feeling all sad because the pendulum has finally swung the other way.

I’m shocked at how bad it has been though, I thought we were definitely good for at least 7 wins this year.

But I’d rather we be complete dog **** like this year than have seasons like last year or 2020 where we are middling. More demand for change to get back to the top.

I think the turnaround can be quicker if we end up with a coach/GM who is willing to swing big and make an AJ Brown/Tyreek Hill type trade at some point to pair with a young QB. That has been the formula to success with a lot of the emerging young quarterbacks. Either have the alpha dog receiver in place before your QB gets there or get one after you draft your QB. Moral of the story is we need to invest in the offense. We haven't had a guy who can consistently win man on man matchups since Gronk.
First two picks need to be QB+WR/OT. If we can somehow spend the top 3 at those positions, even better. It’s no secret so the team will have to start being agressive to acquire the right guys.

We need to tank away, snag Marvin Harrison Jr this year, a top flight lt next and arch manning in '26...

There ya go... Future all mapped out for a return to glory

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back