PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to Day 2

NE will need a RB if White and Burkhead leave tomorrow.

Chris Carson is banged up quite a bit, but he might be perfect for the NE RBBC.

Harris, Sony, Carson, Taylor and Bolden. I like it alot because Carson is so versatile.
I'm a big Carson fan, but running back is a fairly fungible position. Plenty of mid round draft prospects who could fill the White or Burkhead role cheaply.

I’m still hoping NE finds another option at QB. But, I can’t believe BB is choosing Cam on hubris alone. I’m curious to see what the plan is - despite my reservations.
We'll probably find out on draft day. Hopefully the QB or QBs that the Pats want drops far enough that they can get him at 15 or move up to get him. After seeing them fill the holes they have so far I'm confident that they can get back to the playoffs with a decent QB.

I'm a big Carson fan, but running back is a fairly fungible position. Plenty of mid round draft prospects who could fill the White or Burkhead role cheaply.
I think White's an exception and will be missed if he leaves.

I also heard that the Pats are interested in Fournette. I'd like him if he's matured a little. He was a dope a couple of years ago.

Have to think they're gonna re-sign Guy. Unless a team completely overpays for him. He's underrated and would be a big loss if he's not back.
Andrews.

Still wouldn’t mind something at MLB... and we have to figure out center still (hopefully Andrews)

Rookie QBs start and do well all the time in the modern era. What are you even talking about?

Meanwhile 2020 Cam was a rotting corpse.

Who would that be?

Mahomes didnt start.
Herberts team went 7- 9.
Burrow was 2 - 7 - 1.
Flacco and Jackson started his rookie season.
Mayfield was 6 - 7
Allen was 5 - 6

8 years ago Russel Wilson went 11 - 5. Are we drafting the next Russel Wilson? Are you for real? Thats great news! Cant wait.

Who would that be?

Mahomes didnt start.
Herberts team went 7- 9.
Burrow was 2 - 7 - 1.
Mayfield was 6 - 7
Allen was 5 - 6

8 years ago Russel Wilson went 11 - 5. Are we drafting the next Russel Wilson? Are you for real? Thats great news! Cant wait.
Is this a joke? Are you seriously citing Herbert as a negative example of starting a rookie lol?

Yeah, imagine the tragedy of the Pats starting a QB who did this instead of Cam's 8 TD/10 INT trash fire performance:

Code:
Year    G GS Cmp Att Cmp%  Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A   Y/G Rate
2020   15 15 396 595 66.6 4336 31 5.2  10  1.7  72 7.3 289.1 98.3

Quadruple the passing touchdowns but yeah, bad move, should have started Tyrod Taylor or something instead of the ~rookie~

Or put another way, any rookie QB who put up 2020 Cam numbers would be written off as an absolute bust.

Who would that be?

Mahomes didnt start.
Herberts team went 7- 9.
Burrow was 2 - 7 - 1.
Mayfield was 6 - 7
Allen was 5 - 6

Herbert was rookie of the year and Burrow played darn well. Most of the time these top rookie QBs go to a bad team , so you can't judge them by win and loss records.

Herbert was rookie of the year and Burrow played darn well. Most of the time these top rookie QBs go to a bad team , so you can't judge them by win and loss records.

Put another way, a much less busted QB than Cam (Philip Rivers) took the same team to 5-11 the year before Herbert went 7-9 with it.

Pretty good day, IMO. Stud TE with good YAC and versatility. Couple of run stuffers. One edge setter, one DB that plays all over the field. Reading the Mills and Godchaux are locker room leaders. All these guys are young. I'm less excited about Aghalor and Bourne, but they are better than what we had. I would not look for a sequel today. I agree with @ChrisR2223, no way Fournette ends up here.

EDIT: Hunter Henry 10am per Shefter. Jesus.

Although not stellar signings the WR moves are typical Belichick. Andrews today please. Re up Gilmore. Some Interior Oline help. Oh and a Butler return. then onto draft.
Unless, Jimmy becomes available but theres plenty that can be done with the roster to fit him in.

I'd like that. Fournette is a beast-mode runner.
The dude is an enigma.
Dropped by Jax. Benched in Tampa for a few games, then Tampa's playoff beast: the man who couldn't be brought down, especially in 4th quarters when D's are spent.

Bill probably saw a little Corey Dillon in Playoff Fournette.
And we know Bill has a soft spot for big backs: Smith, Dillon, Blount (all sporting NEP SB rings) and TD Tommy Vardell :cool:

In a perfect world, I suspect Bill wants every NE back to be a 3 down run/catch threat vs Sony who's presence signals run. Fournette checks these 3 boxes.

Clues that might not be clues:
Massive tackle coming in.
Highly proficient run blocking TE on the way who's been clearing paths for the baddest of the big boy RBs

Who knows?
2020 had to have been a wake up call season for Fournette though his big finish probably inflated his self worth a bit.
One year prove it deal?
One problem: He and his agent might view Bill's RB by committee philosophy and take a pass
Unless the coin can't be ignored

I'm in

NE will need a RB if White and Burkhead leave tomorrow.

Chris Carson is banged up quite a bit, but he might be perfect for the NE RBBC.

Harris, Sony, Carson, Taylor and Bolden. I like it alot because Carson is so versatile.
I’m gonna say Marlon Mack. Don’t know if he’ll be ready for TC, but he is low risk/high reward player at this point...

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back