PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Well, Henry Melton won't replace Vince...

...he's a Cowgirl now.

Dallas Cowboys reach agreement with former Chicago Bears DT Henry Melton - ESPN Dallas

So I guess it's either the draft, the waiver wire, a trade, or Sasquatch Armstead.

Why is everyone now calling Armstead a DT? He played DE in college, and DE in Canada, too. We had him listed as a DE last spring, behind Nink at strongside DE. Think of him as the potential 3rd (and big) DE.

He is not a DT except as a possibility at 3 or 5 technique. He definitely does not seem to be a NT like Wilfork.

The Pats scrambled around when Wilfork and Kelly went down, and gave up lots of rushing yards for several games mid season, while experimenting.

But by the end of the season Siliga at NT, and Chris Jones/Joe Velano at 3 technique seemed to stabilize the interior DL. They staunched the deluge against the rush, and did very well, garnering 11 sacks, in providing an interior pass rush.

Now we have Kelly back and maybe Vince too.

Do we REALLY NEED more DLs? :confused:

Why is everyone now calling Armstead a DT? He played DE in college, and DE in Canada, too. We had him listed as a DE last spring, behind Nink at strongside DE. Think of him as the potential 3rd (and big) DE.

He is not a DT except as a possibility at 3 or 5 technique. He definitely does not seem to be a NT like Wilfork.

The Pats scrambled around when Wilfork and Kelly went down, and gave up lots of rushing yards for several games mid season, while experimenting.

But by the end of the season Siliga at NT, and Chris Jones/Joe Velano at 3 technique seemed to stabilize the interior DL. They staunched the deluge against the rush, and did very well, garnering 11 sacks, in providing an interior pass rush.

BB has said he sees Armstead as an interior player, not an edge rusher. Arsmtead, at least to me, looks a lot like 2013 Jason Hatcher in build and play style.

Edit: And watching CFL highlights he played inside as much as he did outside, unless I'm completely forgetting what I saw.

Depends on what you mean by NEED.

Do we need a top DT to win the Superbowl? I don't think we do. However it be one of the fastest ways to upgrade our D and improve our odds cause we don't have a true starter besides Kelly. (assuming Wilfork walks/is ineffective).

I would say Jones/Siliga did very well (for rookie UDFAs) for us but until proven otherwise I don't consider them anything but quality backups and would prefer to find a true starter for that DT spot.

We do need another DE to be behind Nink/Jones though because we currently have no one capable of doing that job. I don't care what Armstead played at other levels. In the NFL he is a DT pass rusher or goal line DE and not the solution to either problem.

Think Vince is still on the team but this isn't really surprising never thought he'd end up here anyway.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back