PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome to The Patriots Newton!

Status
Not open for further replies.
“17 points? Haw haw haw. That’s it? Lol ok”

Sounds obnoxious when successful to me.
Oh and then he never shook hands after losing any of his SB’s. He had a huge documentary produced on the way to a SB he ended up losing. Complaining to refs after every call not going his way. Patriots fans are the only NFL fans that dispute this. So Cam... dances a bit when he celebrates and dresses different from Mr Uggs

If Cam gets to start and is able to elevate the play of our "terrible" receivers, will people take a look at Brady or will he get a pass? To me, this is the area Brady should be more worried about during his last years. He has a lot to lose if Tampa does not light the world on fire with all these weapons and the Patriots do.
All of a sudden the tables have turned on him with Cam coming here. He was safe with Stid and Hoyer taking over.

I see no reason or way to re-evaluate anything. Newton will not run the Brady offense and Brady would not run the Cam version of the Pats offense.

And that doesn't account for changes in players, opponents and everything else that matters.

That was then. This is now.

If Cam gets to start and is able to elevate the play of our "terrible" receivers, will people take a look at Brady or will he get a pass? To me, this is the area Brady should be more worried about during his last years. He has a lot to lose if Tampa does not light the world on fire with all these weapons and the Patriots do.
All of a sudden the tables have turned on him with Cam coming here. He was safe with Stid and Hoyer taking over.
They will but they need to keep in mind that Brady is 43. If Cam were 43 they'd have more of legitimate look at what went on

Brady and Newton are not comparable. They are entirely different players at different places in their careers. I hope they both succeed and have good seasons. I’m really not sure why some of us seem to be rooting for either of them to fail.

If healthy, Newton will make the Patriot receivers more productive because they’ll see far more zone coverage. As those of us who have observed the Patriots D struggle against mobile QBs, it’s not so easy for DBs to turn their backs to the QB and play man when the QB is a threat to make a big play with their legs. Edelman, Sanu and Harry will find the holes and Newton is good enough to get the ball to them.

Brady had better hope Gronk is healthy and a reasonable facsimile of himself. Because, as I see it, him and Mike Evans are the only ones of Tampa Bay’s vaunted “weapons” (God, I hate that term) who will be able to decisively beat man coverage which they’re now going to see a ton of with Brady at QB. The rest of those “weapons” are over-rated with inflated statistics from gimme zone coverage receptions allowed by opposing defenses between Jameis Winston interceptions, sacks and strip sacks.

If healthy, Newton will make the Patriot receivers more productive because they’ll see far more zone coverage. As those of us who have observed the Patriots D struggle against mobile QBs, it’s not so easy for DBs to turn their backs to the QB and play man when the QB is a threat to make a big play with their legs. Edelman, Sanu and Harry will find the holes and Newton is good enough to get the ball to them.
Yes, this is a very underrated point.

Brady had better hope Gronk is healthy and a reasonable facsimile of himself. Because, as I see it, him and Mike Evans are the only ones of Tampa Bay’s vaunted “weapons” (God, I hate that term) who will be able to decisively beat man coverage which they’re now going to see a ton of with Brady at QB.
The term "weapons" doesn't make any sense. Don't know when it started, but it's annoying to hear. You're forgetting Chris Godwin, he's a beast.

What about the drop off in Age?
I was adressing age when I said health. Cam has not aged well hence why no one wanted him as a starter or a back up and he had to sign an incentive deal with no promise he would be the starter over an unproven 4th round pick. Brady on the flip side is in better shape at age 43 than Cam and signed a fully guaranteed $50 mil 2 year contract as soon as FA began.

Brady and Newton are not comparable. They are entirely different players at different places in their careers. I hope they both succeed and have good seasons. I’m really not sure why some of us seem to be rooting for either of them to fail.

Brady had better hope Gronk is healthy and a reasonable facsimile of himself. Because, as I see it, him and Mike Evans are the only ones of Tampa Bay’s vaunted “weapons” (God, I hate that term) who will be able to decisively beat man coverage which they’re now going to see a ton of with Brady at QB. The rest of those “weapons” are over-rated with inflated statistics from gimme zone coverage receptions allowed by opposing defenses between Jameis Winston interceptions, sacks and strip sacks.

You've got the TB receivers backwards. Godwin is the one who wins by getting open every play whereas Evans gets the glory stats by winning physical jump balls. Godwin might be the best player on that team.

Oh and then he never shook hands after losing any of his SB’s. He had a huge documentary produced on the way to a SB he ended up losing.
The way they lost, I wouldn’t want to either. He had to score on almost drive and BB let him down with the most atrocious-inexcusable defensive game plan.

Complaining to refs after every call not going his way.
That’s a sign you’re getting under his skin which doesn’t happen too often. While the Eagles D wasn’t irritating Brady, he felt he had to score on every drive or it would’ve been a blowout.

I would agree with this take 5 years ago but Newton is not a dual threat anymore. You don't have to dedicate speical resources to him. Just set the edge. Watch tape of how defenses played him the last 3 seasons. He rarely was making plays from the pocket like a Lamar Jackson or Russell Wilson. He is still a beast on designed runs if the foot is healthy but our receivers will not see any zone. What I do like about Newton is that he should help our redzone D when we are inside the 10 because he can run it in himself. I just don't know how often we will be in the redzone.

Last edited:
Brady has the best receiving weapons in the league. Sorry but this take isn't very good one.

Evans and Godwin are why despite Winston's horrid level of play and turnovers he still led the NFL in passing yards by 200 yards. His two TE's are studs with Brate and even if they can't make OJ Howard happy because they don't pass to TE's much... that's all changing.

They added some guy named Gronk also so they'll run two TE sets more often than not and the rushing attack will be that much better. They also have a prototypical really athletic slot WR in Scott Miller and another big talented WR in Justin Watson. His offensive line assuming health is also now better than any Winston had in Tampa. They're stacked.

Last edited:
No worries; Hogan taught Cam the entire old playbook :D

I figured it all out guys. Cam is just the bridge guy to install a new offensive philosophy with so that it’ll be running real smooth for NEXT year when they trade for Deshaun Watson for a fourth rounder.

Here he is. They gave him a jersey with the old number font on it for some reason, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back